Eve Online wages largest war in its 10 year history

I thought everyone would find this interesting in a game that has a similar legacy, sandbox gameplay, age and "hardcore pvp" as UO:

"A massive battle involving more than 2,200 players in main battle is underway in CCP's massively multiplayer online game Eve Online, easily the largest battle in the game's decade-long history, according to Alexander "The Mittani" Gianturco, the CEO of Goonswarm Federation."

"An exact real-life currency figure of the in-game damage is not currently cemented, but unconfirmed estimates put the amount at more than $200,000. "

Link to article:
http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/28/5352774/eve-online-wages-largest-battle-in-its-10-year-history

Image of the scale of the battle:
http://i.imgur.com/mvP8B5b.jpg

Thufir Hawat

To me Eve is a game that went too far to achieve realism. Staring at space and traveling are the two things you'll do most. Also they seems in love with attaching rl monetary values to any major news. I play games to have fun.

Metalhead-

Master
Read this earlier this morning. Never played but gotta respect a battle that large. From the report I read it's mostly U.S. vs Russian players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you all read the story where the guy spent 9k real life cash on a ship in Eve and it got destroyed within seconds... Now that was a hilarious story.

DoctorBooty

Apprentice
I never played but a few months ago when I was playing planetside 2 battles that size were routine.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

halygon

Grandmaster
I remember when I beta tested eve online. It was such a crapshoot at that time that I logged and never came back. I was amazed to hear how big it had gotten a year later.

Durable

Master
As I recall the original Eve developers were UO players. UO was the muse to create the sandbox space ship based game that Eve became.

I and some friends played Eve and were in a corp (guild) alliance called Rooks and Kings. The issue I have with the game is the hours of boredom to set up a 20 minute fight. Where in UO you gear up and head out and you find a fight very quickly....

Dixin

Neophyte
The only thing that had kept me from fullly giving my time to EVE is their skill system. It is only time based. Instead of training a skill through combat you just have to wait a certain amount of time. On high level skills it is months of training time. Not very rewarding for those of use that like a reward for going out and working for our gains. And only one pilot per account can train at a time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Metalhead-

Master
I never played but a few months ago when I was playing planetside 2 battles that size were routine.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Planetside2 only allows like 2000 per continent which has smaller scale skirmishes throughout that continent. I never saw a battle that actually had everyone in a single fight.

These battles sound awesome until you learn about the time dilation they implement. Because of the insane size and data associated with a fight like this they somehow tweak the servers to slow game time down to a fraction of real time speed. So even though this fight might take an hour or 2, its goes on for 20 in real time.

To me this basically makes EVE as really cool screenshot creator.

Metalhead-

Master
These battles sound awesome until you learn about the time dilation they implement. Because of the insane size and data associated with a fight like this they somehow tweak the servers to slow game time down to a fraction of real time speed. So even though this fight might take an hour or 2, its goes on for 20 in real time.

To me this basically makes EVE as really cool screenshot creator.

They said they only slowed the game by 10% which is still a noticeable difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harken110

Expert
I played EVE for a year. It's very time consuming and feels a bit empty. Though I love the games economy though. The pvp's okay, I just wished it was different avatars other than ships.

that fight went down to 10% TIDI which for every 1 Min in real time it takes 10 Min to happen in game. It was at 10% for almost 16 hours which would have been the equiv of 1.6 hours if it were at full speed.

Bapes

Adept
that fight went down to 10% TIDI which for every 1 Min in real time it takes 10 Min to happen in game. It was at 10% for almost 16 hours which would have been the equiv of 1.6 hours if it were at full speed.

What, is this because of the lag or something? Or is this how the game functions?