Easter Invasion Event

ProdigyOsi

Grandmaster
For those who weren't on let me break it down for you. There was an invasion in East Brit but not your regular 'run of the mill' invasion. I was a no mount, no pets, no provocation invasion with 100% custom skin/named mobs and even a custom boss fight.

I thought it was great, but then I have a brand new level 10 meta mage to play with...

Format: I thought it was a refreshing change from the regular invasion and the restrictions allowed mob balance to be optimized for meta mages/dexers without needing to pepper in Balrons for the filthy tamers. Maybe not every event, but I look forward to the next invasion that is geared for talisman users.

Custom Mobs/Boss: Well done, not a big change from your normal lizard men and earth/blood elementals, but enough to keep it interesting. and the boss fight was great. Wilford Brimley says, "watch out for the diabitus" (not sure if the boss has been used before since I didn't play last Easter).

Reward System/Drops: The only custom drop from mobs I saw were crystal fragments which is cool (Didn't see if the boss himself had any goodies on his body). Seemed like everyone got a title hue and bracelet in their bank for participating but it may have had some breakdown for placement (?). Prizes were given right away when the boss died (Awesome!) in addition to some drops on the ground (deeds, crystals, etc...).

My question is, what did everyone else think?

Keltonator

Grandmaster
I did get a couple of skill scrolls dropped by the bunnies. But being there as soon as the event began, things started off slow; everyone rushing to get the kills. And then things escalated very, very quickly, and before I knew what happened I was swarmed by casting mobs and got my shit packed in. Being kinda late on a work night, I logged after that. But all in all it was a great, well set up event. Just didn't expect a full-on invasion. Not complaining though. Hope to see more of this in the future. :)

Swayze

Grandmaster
We thought this would be a great change of pace event.

It really forced tamers to actually check out another side of the game instead of just "All Guard Me". Expect this type of invasion to happen more.

There is so many benefits to the new invasion system. We can edit mobs on the fly, we can edit rares on the fly, we can respawn new mobs at the click of the button. It is so much more dynamic.

We also have established an event currency that we can reuse multiple times. The ones that work the hardest are going to be the ones that get the most fragments. On the flip side, a brand new player doesn't need to feel like he needs to be extremely established to get fragments. He/She can then flip the fragments for instant gold to a player or save up and work towards rewards.

Swayze

Grandmaster
What about other timezone players?

This comes up quite often. Unfortunately the majority of our playerbase is in North America so events are focused towards those timezones. I sometimes wake up on the weekend really early and create a CTF or FFA or KOTH and the participation is extremely bad.

Jongi09

Master
This comes up quite often. Unfortunately the majority of our playerbase is in North America so events are focused towards those timezones. I sometimes wake up on the weekend really early and create a CTF or FFA or KOTH and the participation is extremely bad.
Maybe 24 hour events? Then everyone wins?

Or does a longer event duration mean it gets boring?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Young Star

Grandmaster
I don't see a problem with repeating an invasion for a Euro timezone with a smaller timeline. Scale it for the population that is logged in. Yeah some people that play 20 hours a day will likely get to both but I don't think it would be huge amount of people.

Ionized

Grandmaster
I killed a bunch of mobs. No fragments. No rares. Was fun though. Didn't die from boss.... Usually first one to die.

dobber

Grandmaster
The event was much fun. I liked how you guys tried to change the mobs to try to mitigate how OP metamages are, but they should not have been dominating so hard in the first level with all the weak mobs. I can understand on hard mobs that dexxers should be worse, but mages are just way better against anything. If you incentivise mages over dexxers in PVM as well as PVP, the shard will become very bland, so I think some tweaking is in order.

Swayze

Grandmaster
Maybe 24 hour events? Then everyone wins?

Or does a longer event duration mean it gets boring?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

One weird thing that constantly happens is literally as soon as we do an event, we get people asking us when it will end. For example, we put the easter mobs out and then 20 minutes we had pages asking when it will end.

The same thing happens with long invasions. It is kind of frustrating to be honest.

dobber

Grandmaster
One weird thing that constantly happens is literally as soon as we do an event, we get people asking us when it will end. For example, we put the easter mobs out and then 20 minutes we had pages asking when it will end.

The same thing happens with long invasions. It is kind of frustrating to be honest.

I think people just want to be able to schedule the game into their lives. If everything is uncertain then it discourages taking a chance that they will need to log off before the end and not be able to compete for the top spots. It might be cool to have a countdown timer gump for invasions. Counts down for the next wave, boss, etc.

Swayze

Grandmaster
I think people just want to be able to schedule the game into their lives. If everything is uncertain then it discourages taking a chance that they will need to log off before the end and not be able to compete for the top spots. It might be cool to have a countdown timer gump for invasions. Counts down for the next wave, boss, etc.

Which is fine but you need to make the decision before hand. It is like saying "When is this assignment due?" to the teacher and then planning that you will cram at the very end to get it complete.

You know when it starts... it will end when it ends. It is up to you to decide how much time/effort you will put in. The more time/effort, the more reward.

Decoy

Grandmaster
The notion of having to be on when the event ends for a reward is insane. I hope the event crystals will solve this. You earn your reward by earning crystals. I think the scoreboard being simply that - a scoreboard - is a move in the right direction. Someone will probably end up having more crystals if their score is much higher than yours, anyway, but at least it won't push other people down the reward list (who may have invested the same amount of time as you did at the event).

Blackmartin

Grandmaster
@ProdigyOsi I know I got a title scroll, what's the bracer that u got? I'll have to look in my bank box a little harder when I get home lol.

Also to the staff: defnately a fun event! Was interesting trying to guess which mobs were what. Body decay for those fast spawning invasions needs to be speed up though, it starts to lag the server and the users with all those corpses. Not to mention with blue/pink, all the bodies made it hard to see ;)