Dungeon Thief

Monaco

Apprentice
Heya folks,

So I placed a new house a few days ago and wanted to build my own rune library, but I found it difficult to get to all the places I wanted to get to. So I re-did my stun/heal mage and made him into a stealth mage. This was immensely helpful and as I've never played a stealth character before I had so much fun exploring all parts of the map and only engaging the mobs I wanted to.

Long story short, now I have a yearning to create another stealth character -- a PvM dungeon thief. I would also like to be able to lockpick the chests and acquire loot that way as well. I realize that this toon will not be as sturdy as my mage, lacking the gm resist and wrestling, but my goal is to run and hide if I fail or end up getting detected.

Hiding
Stealth
Snooping
Stealing
Lockpicking
Magery
Meditation

I'm thinking with pots from my alchy, gm magery for extra heals and EV scrolls from my scribe I should still be able to hold my own in an emergency. Does anyone play this template and would you recommend it? Is it fun and is it even worth it being a PvM thief, or is all the profit in going Thieves Guild?

Thanks for all your help!

Sinestro

kurtis

Grandmaster
I love stealthing just as much as you. I found stealing from mobs to be quite tedious. You'll get bored of it fairly quickly and it really isn't very profitable compared to templates that can just kill the mobs (even stealth-based chars)

King Dingaling

Grandmaster
stealing from mobs just plain sucks. most of the time you can kill it way faster than stealing the gold from it, plus you usually wind up dieing if it targets you. I dont have any lock picking because i use mine to follow players and snoop around and take what I find.

Monaco

Apprentice
Interesting, thanks guys... think I'll hold off on the new character until I revise my goals then.

Take her easy!

SidX

Grandmaster
To be honest, I have made such a better living from just playing out the thieves guild and stealing from players than PvM thieving... I also go for stealable rare spawns so that makes up a good chunk of my income. Once I'm able to lock down timers on a few spawns each day, it's an easy 50-100k/day or more just grabbing those rares over a period of probably 15 minutes per day-- let alone what else I may make from stealing from other players.

This is the template for my thief that I use for stealing from players and snagging stealable rare spawns:

Detect Hidden 100.0
Hiding 100.0
Meditation 100.0
Snooping 100.0
Stealing 100.0
Stealth 100.0
Tracking 100.0

STR/DEX/INT: 100/25/100

Meditation is basically just so I can recall from spot to spot when hunting for stealable rares. I can check about 10 or 11 spots before I have to Med, then I'm good to go after about another 30 seconds. Tracking is for dungeons, etc. so I can track my victims and also find victims during town invasions and the such.

I would definitely GM Tracking if you run this template. The tracking was just modified last month or so to give a .75-tile bonus per 1.0 point of Tracking skill. I believe that is the new calculation. So for GM Tracking, you can track 75 tiles (100.0 * .75) plus the base of, something like, 5 tiles = 80 tiles. That's huge, and I often just run through the woods in the middle of nowhere and can usually constantly find other players.

If you're making a thief for income, I'd highly suggest doing something like this. You can only make so much from stealing from chests and mobs. Stealing from players is more fun, adds a little more excitement, and definitely gives better rewards at a more constant rate.

I also wrote a guide on how to quickly GM Stealing (link in my signature) if it helps you!

FingersFinn

Grandmaster
GM Hiding/Stealing/Snooping/Tracking/Anatomy/Wrestling/80 Stealth/20 points wherever, or just GM Stealth.

Fully charged and marked runebooks to get around. I took anatomy/wrestling instead of arms lore/wrestling. I'd rather stun punch someone and make a clean getaway if need be than fuck around stealing their weapon, continuing to stand toe-to-toe. Most thief templates are squishy anyways.

Also, if you stun punch someone near mobs and they get whacked as you hide nearby.. more loot for you :eek: