Dungeon PK Build

Hey all,

I just came back to UO after many years! I finished my 7x Provo Archer to farm which will be great once I have more complete runebooks, and I've started a pure mage and a mule.

Once I have enough gold for a small house, I want to create a Dungeon PK char. What do you all make of the following build:

Fencing
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Resist
Poisoning
Hiding

I know a lot of people will start screaming about not having magery, but I think hiding is superior for the purpose of waiting in a dungeon room until the perfect moment to strike... plus there seems to be a 100% success rate with a charged runebook.

Could I run this char with 100/100/25 stats or do I need Int for poisoning? Thanks in advance!!

Bromista

Grandmaster
FRUITBOOOOOOTER

You'll do fine with that build, but also consider that your hiding success % scales with your hiding skill. 50 hiding could give you enough to serve your purposes (may just take a couple extra attempts to get off a hide and set your trap) while freeing up some extra skill pts to take up alchy get bonus damage out of your pots.

Even more so if you bump your skill cap by using powerscrolls. Getting to 115 peacemaking is cheap and easy and comes in very handy for builds with sub-gm skills, letting you have 65 hiding for a 2/3 chance.

Or you can just go GM hiding for the sure thing every time which has its perks, is cheaper, and easier than messing with your skill cap just train up and hit the ground running.

Thanks for your reply.

Don't you need Music to use Peacemaking? Would 50 Alchy give me much of a potion bonus?

Also, I want to say that so far on this shard almost all PKs will res you if they aren't being chased by mobs or other players which is awesome. I will do the same.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Noice

Yea you need music for peace and you won't get full bonus with your pots at 50 alchy but you should notice some. It's supposed to scale about the same so at 50 you get 50% of the bonus, at 80 you get 80% of the bonus, and at GM you get full. You can train to pretty close to 50 at most alchy guildmaster NPCs so you can give it a whirl literally any time and see if you like it.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on the pot bonus but I think that's the consensus on how it works based on skill.

StegcO

Grandmaster
You can also try to use archery for the first strike then switch poisoned kryss and spear + explo pot like bromista said. If you dont like it drop archery and gain poison that is the second most slow skill on uof (and also expansive)

Inviato dal mio GT-I9505 utilizzando Tapatalk

If your going to be running around dungeons and hoping to find people. I would advise tracking actually. Its really useful for pking as you can be gated into a spot. Hit tracking and see if anyone is in the area. If not go back through gate, and have your mage gate another location. This allows you to easily go through dungeons really fast finding targets.

Pandone

Grandmaster
make it with magery and not poisoning
a pk is viable without magery if you gate it near to the target using another char,kill and gate away. even in this case lumber is better.
if you run a dungeon without magery an high level poison from a mob wlll kill you soon or later.

fencing tactics ana heal resist magery hiding

lollo

Grandmaster
Get 720 cap, 60 Magery 60 alchy gm poisoning.

I wreck shit with that template in dungeons. DPed vanq katana and you are good to go. Extremely fast for disturbs and consistent damage. You will get 15-18 dmg explo pots with 60 alchy which is nice and 60 magery means you will almost never fizzle recall, gheals heal a decent amount, can cast reflect without scrolls, invisibility 100% with scrolls, wall of stone to run away. Overall extremely balanced and deadly

King Dingaling

Grandmaster
Get 720 cap, 60 Magery 60 alchy gm poisoning.

I wreck shit with that template in dungeons. DPed vanq katana and you are good to go. Extremely fast for disturbs and consistent damage. You will get 15-18 dmg explo pots with 60 alchy which is nice and 60 magery means you will almost never fizzle recall, gheals heal a decent amount, can cast reflect without scrolls, invisibility 100% with scrolls, wall of stone to run away. Overall extremely balanced and deadly
this sounds like a fun build..may have to tweak one of my chars for this

What lollo said is what my main pvp dexer was for a long time except I ran it a bit different. 50 alchemy and 70 Magery. Slightly Better Gheals and never fizzle recall.. and compared to 1 point of pot damage at 60 alchemy compared to 50.

Last edited by a moderator:
That build does sound pretty lethal. I think I would lean towards the 70 magery / 50 alchy as well. How hard/expensive is it to GM poisoning? What are the pros and cons of DP Kryss va Katana?

Newb question - how do power scrolls work when not just raising one skill to 720?

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to eat powerscrolls all the way to 120 in a skill to get the cap to 720.

Katana is better than a kryss, but fencing has spears which is a lot better versatility than a Halberd. So it's personal preference.

Poisoning is expensive. I think most people go to like 80-85 then use skillscrolls the rest of the way because I think its more economical. I am not certain it has been a long time since I raised it.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
You can also try to use archery for the first strike then switch poisoned kryss and spear + explo pot like bromista said. If you dont like it drop archery and gain poison that is the second most slow skill on uof (and also expansive)

Inviato dal mio GT-I9505 utilizzando Tapatalk

Dont do this... probably one of the dumbest suggestions ive ever read and indicates the person making the suggestion doesnt PVP.

Just make any alchy dexxer... get rid of the poisoning and get alchemy -- hit with weapon, throw pots, get kill.

StegcO

Grandmaster
Dont do this... probably one of the dumbest suggestions ive ever read and indicates the person making the suggestion doesnt PVP.

Just make any alchy dexxer... get rid of the poisoning and get alchemy -- hit with weapon, throw pots, get kill.

"I just came back to UO after many years! I finished my 7x Provo Archer to farm which will be great once I have more complete runebooks, and I've started a pure mage and a mule."

Seems he no need an end-game PK to raid champ or something else, he only want to have some fun.
Poisoning is expansive and slow, Archery is a nice test until he have the money for Poisoning.
I have a PK with Archery (and a malee) and give me a lot of fun using it, Alchemy is better to RAID or fight people that know how to play.

I want to teach you a trick Glutt, if you open the Skill menu you can click near the skill and you will have 3 icon:

UP Arrow
DOWN Arrow
Lock

So you can manage the skill you want to incrase of decrase and you will able to chance template everytime you need! :)

Now a little question for Glutt the master of UO and GuildMaster of the "BEST GUILD VER!!!!11"

For a n00b that have only an archer bard without runebooks, it's better to raise Alchemy and then drop it for Archery OR it's better to try Archery and then raise Alchemy when he learn how to play?

toddyboi

Master
"I just came back to UO after many years! I finished my 7x Provo Archer to farm which will be great once I have more complete runebooks, and I've started a pure mage and a mule."

Seems he no need an end-game PK to raid champ or something else, he only want to have some fun.
Poisoning is expansive and slow, Archery is a nice test until he have the money for Poisoning.
I have a PK with Archery (and a malee) and give me a lot of fun using it, Alchemy is better to RAID or fight people that know how to play.

I want to teach you a trick Glutt, if you open the Skill menu you can click near the skill and you will have 3 icon:

UP Arrow
DOWN Arrow
Lock

So you can manage the skill you want to incrase of decrase and you will able to chance template everytime you need! :)

Now a little question for Glutt the master of UO and GuildMaster of the "BEST GUILD VER!!!!11"

For a n00b that have only an archer bard without runebooks, it's better to raise Alchemy and then drop it for Archery OR it's better to try Archery and then raise Alchemy when he learn how to play?
Ahhhhhhhh no. Please don't listen to this n00b

TBH I had poisoning and dropped it for Alchemy and Magery at 100 each over a few months ago. Any one good will carry 15-20 Cures and its just awful waste of skill points. It's great for killing people who are bad though. Poisoning needs a buff. It is 100 skillpoints completely countered by an item with no cooldown timer and that can be instantly used over and over and requires 0 skill points to counter it. For 3500 gold you can buy a keg of cures that will counter poisoning all day long.

The best part poisoning will get you is to make a 2 handed dexer unequip his weapon for about 1 second. That is literally all it ever did for me. Eventually if someone fights you long enough you will run them out of cure pots, but then since there is no mount stamina they will just run away for ever.

So in the end I decided it was better to just do 20-25 damage every 5 seconds with a purple pot then it was to rely on someone not having cure pots or fighting them long enough for them to either run out of cures or call in backup.

They need to make it so that if you have GM poisoning, greater cures have a greater chance of failing then they currently do. You can still use them instantly and over and over, but give them like a 65% chance to fail or something. That way it requires you to cast cure or spam that pot drinking button. Which will run them out of cures faster.

Also, archery is a terrible idea. All your going to do with that is shoot someone with a bow, and while your disarming to your melee they are going to recall out every single time.

Another thing I remembered. If your going to make a dungeon pk. Make him a PVMER first and get the Defensive Relic to lvl 4-5 so that mobs don't do as much damage to you. This way you can shrug off agro from monsters in dungeons. It will take you a little longer to get your char setup but it will be beneficial in the long run. Also a Valorite Swampy.

This will also help you kill tamers as their dragons wont do as much damage to you since the defensive relic works vs pets. Just a few tips.

If i was starting a PK I would make 2 dexers. One to pk with and one to get the talisman. After you get the defensive talisman lvled up join the first PK to factions and use your murder forgive to turn him blue. Then get the bezerker talisman on him, and go pk with your defensive talisman pk. Also get a valorite swampy for that char as well. and ball it.

StegcO

Grandmaster
TBH I had poisoning and dropped it for Alchemy and Magery at 100 each over a few months ago. Any one good will carry 15-20 Cures and its just awful waste of skill points. It's great for killing people who are bad though. Poisoning needs a buff. It is 100 skillpoints completely countered by an item with no cooldown timer and that can be instantly used over and over and requires 0 skill points to counter it. For 3500 gold you can buy a keg of cures that will counter poisoning all day long.

The best part poisoning will get you is to make a 2 handed dexer unequip his weapon for about 1 second. That is literally all it ever did for me. Eventually if someone fights you long enough you will run them out of cure pots, but then since there is no mount stamina they will just run away for ever.

So in the end I decided it was better to just do 20-25 damage every 5 seconds with a purple pot then it was to rely on someone not having cure pots or fighting them long enough for them to either run out of cures or call in backup.

They need to make it so that if you have GM poisoning, greater cures have a greater chance of failing then they currently do. You can still use them instantly and over and over, but give them like a 65% chance to fail or something. That way it requires you to cast cure or spam that pot drinking button. Which will run them out of cures faster.

I totally agree, ATM Poisoning it's a crafter skill instead a PVP skill.

Also, archery is a terrible idea. All your going to do with that is shoot someone with a bow, and while your disarming to your melee they are going to recall out every single time.

My kill ratio with my Archer+Malee PK it's no more then 40%, but damn it's so funny to play :D

I am not disagreeing archery isn't fun to play. I made a stealth dungeon pk archer for a while. It is fun to shoot someone with a vanq +25 heavy xbow in the face, but watching them recall right after makes it disappointing.

Now if you have multiple people shooting bows with precast EB's or something that makes it a completely different thing, but for solo pking. Archery is by far the worst of any of the combat skills.

Dale Winton

Master
***Dale Winton’s House of Sexy Boys stocks many reasonably priced +1 poisoning skill scrolls***

I certainly vote that you get poisoning and spend lots of money at the vendor house ;)