Dungeon Crawler Stealth Mage

Griz

Journeyman
So I was looking through the Wiki page and saw the Dungeon Crawler template...
100/25/100

GM: Detect, Hiding, Lockpicking, Magery, Meditation, Remove Trap, Stealth

Is Remove Trap necessary for dungeon stealthing and such? I get that chest may be trapped, but I thought Telekinesis can take care of that? Seems like a wasted skill. Wouldn't something like Eval Int be a better option?

the_bubba

Journeyman
The whole idea with that template is to avoid any conflict whether it be pvm or pvp. With GM remove trap you are able to use the skill while hidden and stay hidden the entire time. If you were to telekinesis then you would be unhidden while you cast.

It all comes down to play style and what you feel is the most important for you.

Griz

Journeyman
So i just read a thread from like 2 years ago that the dungeon treasure chests arent worth making this template? Has that changed in two years or am i going to be disappointed after finishing LP, RT and all this jazz!?

halv

Grandmaster
RT isn't worth the time and resources. I used it some months, but changed it to Provo and Music and try to provo the mobs around the chests. There are high tier chest in shame 5 and Khaldun and even chests in Depise are always surrounded by two or more mobs.
Sometimes it's tricky, like Ice 2, where three mobs guard the chest. Paralyze one, provo the others and open the chest by spell.
You can drop Detect Hidden after reaching RT 50%. But drop RT and DH for Provo and Music, change Meditation to 50% and got 70% Cartography for Tmaps. With this template you got a Lockpicking Provo Stealther for support of all you chars and tmapping.
You can stealth between a group of treasure chest spawn and provo them. After this bring in your main battle char and kill them all.

A dungeon stealther only for dungeon chests without any other purpose is a waste of resources and a char slot. IMO.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Halv covered it but I'll contribute.

If you want a specific build for a specific challenge or stealth play, go for it. If you want to be efficient with your time, you may as well get more utility out of the stealther/lockpick character by adding cartography and calling upon your alts to clean up spawn around points of interest instead of avoiding them. Combat capabilities can be 0 on your stealther, just magery and med to get around.

Hell...mine has 120 BS and tailor for BOD's lol

I need to add 20 more carto for new maps but I can conveniently eat into stealth for that since I went ahead and left it at GM

Not sure where magery/med is gonna end up I gave it 0 consideration... just locked it when I felt like it

5f750ecf8b.png

Chars like this can make you a ton of gold if you can dual or triple client with PvM focused alts.

Last edited:

Griz

Journeyman
Thanks for the tips guys :( kinda makes me sad though. It sounded like a fun build, but youre right... after a few dungeon runs of mediocre loot or fighting off dumb mobs it wouldn't be worth it.

I may change it a tad to a Tmapper then. But I do already have a Provo/Archer, so Im not sure if Id want double provo

Griz

Journeyman
What do you guys think of this?

100x Hiding, Lockpicking, Magery, Med, Stealth, Carto, Eval Int????

Haly suggesting?

GM: Lockpicking, Magery, Hiding, Music, Provo
50-Med, 80 Stealth, 70 Cart ???

Im assuming 100/25/100 on either

I guess once I get LP trained up I can try the music/Provo route instead of the Detect Hidden/RT because it would be faster and cheaper. And I can always add them later if I don't like the provo route on a second toon.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Sure @Griz you could run that first build and drop a few EV's to accompany your provo archer if he needs a little help handling spawn. Just takes practice juggling two clients, which is not for everyone. Eval seems like a pretty easy choice for a 7th skill because you aren't gonna get much use out of anything else tbh.

Or as you said you can go provo just so you have that option to solo. 50 med leaves a lot to be desired but you can absolutely be effective and self-sufficient with that provo build and only bring in alts if you need a rescue.

Griz

Journeyman
I played a few dungeons looking for chests and things. Stealthing around is just SLOW, and as stated you could probably just have lockpucking on a normal toon, kill the mobs and be faster or just as fast.

And withmuso/prov stealth and hiding is kinda unnecissary. Might try dropping hiding and stealth and adding carto/evalcint. For a treasure hunting build

Firecrest

Grandmaster
If your doing this as income it is terrible, but it is fun and I find my self doing this to just enjoy the dungeons, picking up loot from trash piles, unlocking chests and watching people run past me.
Also I use this char as my main PVM champ char.

100 Provoke (One day ill invest in going to 120)
100 Hiding
100 Stealth
100 Magery
100 Meditation
100 Music
100 Lock Picking

I don't mind being revealed in the dungeons as EVs and provoke takes care of a lot of the monsters. This is good at champs because againg provoke and evs and I am never on top but in that case I would make a tamer. The lack of eval int makes it slightly hard to do any real damage with e bolts. So some down sides but again the minor flexibility and just being able to go through most dungeons is fun.

Griz

Journeyman
That is my EXACT current build. It was fun to watch players and reds run by. And no, its not going to be my main income char. I have a archer bard for that.

halv

Grandmaster
You can drop stealth to 80. You will never fail stealthing if you only wear cloths and not any armor.
I use a similar template with 70 carto and 50 meditation. Like i said, that's a support char. You can use this char to help your regulars at treasure maps, but this char is very helpful at many occasions.

Shorted

Apprentice
So is there no point to lockpicking in dungeons? What kind of items and gold is there? I ask because I am working my lockpicking for this as we speak...

Griz

Journeyman
From experience, the lockpicking will go to better use on treasure maps and MiBs.

Stealthing around dungeons is neat and fun but got old for me pretty quick.

Savage

Neophyte
From my experience the majority of chests/crates are purely deco, with 0 items/ 0 weight at all times.
Only a small fraction are actually able to be picked and re-spawn.
Those chests/crates are the ones you compete with other pickers to get the modest loot from. I usually crawl until i have 3-4K in gold, by then I am full of gems/armor/weapons/regs. I keep the regs and sell the rest for an average 7-8k per run depending on luck and how many chests I can find. Once in awhile i find a Power weapon, but rarely a keeper.
It is not a very efficient way to make gold in my opinion and could use some serious attention.
A lot more spawning chests with a tad better loot would be cool, maybe even an occasional rare?
Some trips are more interesting then others, but if I had access to a power scrolled tinker or a lot more level 4 maps id be doing those instead.