Double Strike Relic with Archery

dobber

Grandmaster
I finally got a double strike relic for my archer. I knew leveling the talisman with archer would be tougher and I know damage would diminish with armor and distance and I know there's only one relic that's supposed to be good for archery. But, I like the play style of archery so I decided I will accept those negative aspects. But, this is utterly ridiculous. I was at a champ spawn on my archer for at least 2 hours and I only procced on the relic 3 times total.

I dropped a skill for swords to see how it works with melee. From some extended testing, I found that while farming some larger mobs, i.e. ogre lords, with a sword, the double strike will proc somewhere around 80% (I think it's somewhat less for smaller mobs) of the time as long as the timer is up. Whereas, the same mob with an archer will proc exactly 0% of the time unless I'm within melee range of the monster!

If this is as intended, I am extremely disappointed. Being in melee range for an archer is completely absurd and not how an archer is intended to be played. For instance, mages don't need to be within melee range for their relics to work because that's absurd too.

dobber

Grandmaster
If you thought there was no maximum distance for it, why set the range to only 5 now instead of no max?

dobber

Grandmaster
Already have to be close for all the other relics and xp gains...this was supposed to be the relic that's not useless. Shane said this relic would work for archers in the original talisman definitions post. This is a pretty big caveat that would have discouraged me from spending all this time and gold to pursue a meta talisman. The long range pew pew was the draw for me...I would've gone for the mage talisman otherwise. Also, me being very likely the only one with this set up currently, it feels kind of personal. My UOF morale is way down.

eppy

Grandmaster
Already have to be close for all the other relics and xp gains...this was supposed to be the relic that's not useless. Shane said this relic would work for archers in the original talisman definitions post. This is a pretty big caveat that would have discouraged me from spending all this time and gold to pursue a meta talisman. The long range pew pew was the draw for me...I would've gone for the mage talisman otherwise. Also, me being very likely the only one with this set up currently, it feels kind of personal. My UOF morale is way down.

It does work for archers. So do the rest of them. Phase shift will put you right on top of the mob. Infected wounds lets you shoot poison arrows. Tread requires you to push the mob so right on top of it. Double strike is a double swing. We never claimed you could just play the same way you always have played a skillset to make it work the best. Some of the top level talismen players have really strange templates to maximize certain skills. An archer can put out some very good damage, but you cant play it like you always have kiting to out of spell range. Shake it up a little and learn how to maximize whatever you find interesting.