difference between metals

Ciccio

Novice
Hi all, just two question about weapon and armor i'm creating with my crafter:

1) What is the difference between an iron chainmail and a valorite one? What is the meaning of the various types of ingots? The same question for weapons...does the valorite weapon inflict more damages than the iron one?
2) does an exceptional weapon inflict more damages than a normal weapon?

Thank you very much

Messremb

Grandmaster
1a armor gets higher AR when made with the rarer metals. So Val armor would have the most AR while iron the least.

1b as far as I know metal type has no affect on weapons (other than color)

2 exceptional modifier on weapons is between might and force. So it's a +4 to damage. (exceptional also increases AR on armor)

Tearloch

Grandmaster
As an example, a GM Smith made Iron "Archer" suit (ringmail gloves/sleeves, chainmail tunic/leggings, platemail gorget, close helm) has a 33 AR. Each type of metal makes that AR 2 points higher, so Dull Copper is 35AR, Shadow is 37AR, and Valorite (the best) is 49AR. They all have the same Dexterity loss (-11 for that suit).

I would have to check since they altered the armor, but I think if you bought the same Iron "Archer" suit off the vendor in town, it would be around 24AR. "Exceptional" armor gets about a 30% boost in AR over normal armor, then the colored armor stacks on top of that.

halygon

Grandmaster
I know that in the old school UO that there was different damage types based on what material your weapon was made out of. ie cold damage, fire damage etc. I'm not entirely sure if that has transferred over to UOF though

http://www.uo.com/Material-Bonus
Haha, whats funny here is that you said "old school". UOF is based on a time period before and hence even more old school than the period you are referring to (ie.. AoS).

There were not any elemental damage types during the UO:R (post t2a -> Pre-AoS) time period so we do not have those on UOF.

Chris Shoe

Neophyte
Whoops haha. That's old school for me :) little more of a young buck to UO, not a veteran like some. I apologize for wrong info

Chris Shoe

Neophyte
So the rules for the damage type does not apply in UOF correct ? Any plans for that to take into effect eventually ? If there is no difference in damage type then why do people waste their ingots making colored weapons ? Seems pointless. Hopefully those people read this haha

Colored weapons receive a durability increase from colored ore. So the better the ingot, the longer it last before you have to repair it. Also runic weapons MUST be created from the same color ingots as the runic hammer to get the bonus. If someone has a colored weapon, it was crafted with a runic, or they just wanted that look.