DaTamer's Animal Taming Guide

Soul Mate

Grandmaster
Very nice guide , great to see a guide put up from a new person to the server, way to build the Community. I love when I see people posting positive things to build the server. I may not always play and I even took all summer and Fall off but I still consider UOF my last UO home.

Soul Mate

Grandmaster
Let me state this. Yes, you can gain from fails. My apologies for the way I worded it originally.
But, you will gain more quickly from success than fails up to 100.0 Taming. After that, it is a crap shoot.
If you succeed 100 times you will gain more than if you fail 100 times (on appropriate animals, not cats)

As far as how long does it take... I have more than one answer.

If you think of this server like every other server and do polar bears at 50 til 65.1 and then white wolves til 71.1 and then try to GM from bulls, it will take a long time.
If you think of this server as its own place, and you tame scorpions til 75, then harts and grizzlys til GM, it won't take more than a few weeks depending on time played.
If you get creative.... 2 weeks.

If you dreaded like I did and always put if off and never used a SS three months lol

Pike_Noir

Neophyte
Good Guide but to say the .1 you gain in shame versus the .3-.4 you would gain in the forest is a bit in-accurate. I was gaining three to four times faster in shame lvl 1 then outside in the forest. Personally i enjoyed the forest BUT gaining points was teadious. BUT so I tried out Shame and i would have to say the Rish is well worth the reward. Now what makes it even better is the skill bonus weekend.

I went to the small hell cats and while in the dungeon I am at 78 real is like 73. I had a hard time taming them failed roughly 10-12 times. Didnt even gain a point 1. So i went back to scorps. Well i tried it again, and received .2-.3 on failures BUT there was only 1 small cat there and spawn rate was really slow and massive amounts of bad bad monsters in Fire Dungeon.

I am gonna attempt giant spiders since they have a semi high taming requirement that they might produce good gains as well.

Modus

Master
Good Guide but to say the .1 you gain in shame versus the .3-.4 you would gain in the forest is a bit in-accurate. I was gaining three to four times faster in shame lvl 1 then outside in the forest. Personally i enjoyed the forest BUT gaining points was teadious. BUT so I tried out Shame and i would have to say the Rish is well worth the reward. Now what makes it even better is the skill bonus weekend.

I went to the small hell cats and while in the dungeon I am at 78 real is like 73. I had a hard time taming them failed roughly 10-12 times. Didnt even gain a point 1. So i went back to scorps. Well i tried it again, and received .2-.3 on failures BUT there was only 1 small cat there and spawn rate was really slow and massive amounts of bad bad monsters in Fire Dungeon.

I am gonna attempt giant spiders since they have a semi high taming requirement that they might produce good gains as well.

there is a place in fire with like 12 small hellcats spawning there, north a daemon west a efreet, nice to kill the tamed ones. if you need a rune send me a PM.

On the server bonus exp day for the aniv I went from 83 to 92 on small hell cats with breaks and did Grizzlies and great harts. Took me 7 hours.

Sseany4209

Grandmaster
I gm'd peace/music went out tamed scorps and everything else i find, horses west of brit gate was good tell 60ish than start brow bears hitting up scorps every once in awhile, than onto great hearts,hinds,all bears. around 80ish i tamed everything i can find and even did a lot of taming on ice. and ate 5 ss's because i bought em and well i didnt want to wait tell 90's to use them lol gave me 90 tamed on ice now got me 94 lol

Phenomswag

Apprentice
I gm'd peace/music went out tamed scorps and everything else i find, horses west of brit gate was good tell 60ish than start brow bears hitting up scorps every once in awhile, than onto great hearts,hinds,all bears. around 80ish i tamed everything i can find and even did a lot of taming on ice. and ate 5 ss's because i bought em and well i didnt want to wait tell 90's to use them lol gave me 90 tamed on ice now got me 94 lol

How many hours is that spent taming? Sounds like a grueling 10 days lol

Sseany4209

Grandmaster
not many roughly 8 or so, friday saturdays i spent prob half a day when im home. it was the boosted xp gave it a go, but eh just plug here and there go champs etc. its not all to bad. Tell wife yells at yeah lol

Tuabain

Adept
Where can I find info on the skill levels required to control a tamed beastie? I know that at about 82 you can control a dragon, but would like to know about nightmares and others.

[Legato]

Master
So...I'm not gaining shit from scropions in the desert. I gain faster off bears and cougars @ 55 than i do scorpions.

Any tips for peacing in high volume monster areas? I usually kite a few, peacing one off at a time until i get the one i want to tame alone. Is there a better way?

lapj

Journeyman
So...I'm not gaining shit from scropions in the desert. I gain faster off bears and cougars @ 55 than i do scorpions.

yeah same thing happened to me, didn't gain shit from scorpions in the 50's. stick to taming in the woods till 60's. then give scorpions a try.

after scorps, I parked my character at dagger isle till gm. I did make a few hellcat, lava lizard runs. but that didn't last very long due to other tamers and pks.

took me 2 months to gm taming. I tried to get at least 1 point a day.

Atticus M

If anyone else is 'Young' out there, I'd really recommend taming in Shame.

I initially started out in Ice Island, but with all the re-tamed animals, gaining points was a complete dead end. What's worse, I couldn't differentiate between re-tamed animals and animals that weren't (because you never know who doesn't mark their animals). Afterwards, I decided to try Compassion again, but felt it was too hard to get individual scorpions and then move them over.

After hearing about the 'Dungeon' bonus for taming, I took to Shame. Before I explain anything else, I'm a mage/tamer without peacemaking. Thus far on my journey, I've gained probably 15 points from being in Shame, and grinded out about 100k gold over the course of 2-3 days (still under 'Young' protection). While that might not be amazing to veterans, I've been able to train not only my Animal Taming, but also my Magery while I've been resetting my taming path.

Eventually, I'll stray away from dungeons as I've witnessed the level of PKing that can occur in those zones, but for the time being, Shame is a great spot.