Curious about Reds

DrunkJesse

Neophyte
Hello im pretty new to UO and i have so much to learn. I very much enjoy reading these forums to soak up all the info i can about this awesome game. figured its time to start asking my own questions.

How do Reds "maintain"? I mean once you are banned from the major cities.. how is it possible to carry on in this game? sorry if this is a stupid question.. I know there is bucs den for reds (i think) but is that enough to get everything you need to carry on? or is pking blues good enough to supply goods? or am i focusing on the wrong things here and access to major cities not that important once your wealthy enough?

also assuming bucs den is the only city for reds is it "safe" haha i mean do reds fight other reds?or is there some kind of "code" that all reds vs blues or something?

I only ask this stuff because i understand there is a difference for PvE templates such as Provo/Archer for gaining wealth but eventually i want to make a PvP template to take on reds or maybe eventually become one myself if PvE gets old. This game is so fun there is so much to do. I hope those questions made sense.

Faytality

Staff member
Reds are not "banned" from cities. You can not call guards and have them whacked for just being there. Being red in a city means people can openly attack you, and the guards will not help you. The only way for them to get guard whacked is for them to be the aggressor.

DrunkJesse

Neophyte
ok i didnt realize that was the case i assumed reds would be attacked once entering a major city. If not by gaurds then by other players..? isnt that just as bad. I dont see many reds wandering the streets of Brit. Thank you for clarifying that for me though. Also my other questions are still valid. Or do reds wait for citys to be clear to run in and buy goods?

Faytality

Staff member
Some of them stay clear of the cities, some of them walk around like they own the place. Just depends on the reds confidence. Usually they'll have blue characters that go about freely to do trades and such. The docks in Brit act as a trading ground and bank. It welcomes all characters, and does not allow pvp unless in the duel pit.

Swayze

Grandmaster
They have multiple characters and if you have a red, you have a house you can restock.

DrunkJesse

Neophyte
Ok so its becoming more clear that to thrive in this game you need to use lots characters and possibly multiple accounts. I have to get out of the mind set of having just 1 or 2 characters. Thank you both for responding.

Jager

Grandmaster
Make 3 accounts with 3 chars each. I have a couple mages, warriors, bard, thief, you'll have a main char you may use more than others probably

DrunkJesse

Neophyte
Well not to stray completely off the subject.. but to make things clear. Jager are you telling me i need to make all the posssible templates i can in order to thrive on this mmo? (using every single available character slot for each available acount)

If possible to keep the original topic alive.. What exactly does it take to thrive as a red? as in what do you absoloutly NEED as far as "alts" to keep you thriving as a red?

DrunkJesse

Neophyte
Maybe im not being clear. That might be due to the fact im am so noob to ultima online. My orignal intention to this thread was to ask how it is possible to thrive in this mmo as a red. I have quickly discovered that its possible to do this through having multiple accounts with MANY templates(red AND blue).

Well with all this new info in mind i am sorry for my first noob question.

I guess my new question is are all of you just keeping "secret IDs" ? lol

are the regulars of this shard that good at keeping their "red alts" not identifiable from their mains(blues)?

im just trying to feel this all out as it is completely new to me. i respect it but im trying to understand it on the level of being many years behind.

again sorry if im just being noob..

Skye Wolfbane

Governor of Trinsic
You don't need 9 characters to thrive,even as a red. It does help to have blue alts of course for farming however, the best way to thrive in an MMO is to take advantage of the MMO world and join a guild. When everyone can do for themselves, it actually hurts the game. No one buys armour or weapons or pots or rune books, etc. if everyoen can make them themselves. Get in with some like-minded people, red or blue and enjoy the game with others. If you're blue, being in a group makes it easier to farm. Being a red and in a group, makes it easier to kill the blues. Check out the Looking for Group thread and become a part of a community and you don't need to make 9 gm characters.

Keltonator

Grandmaster
Well. As far as thriving goes, some players use pking as their sole source of income, yes. They go into dungeons, or wherever they may find a blue hunting, kill them and take whatever loot they had collected up to that point. Which in some cases may be some really good stuff; skill scrolls, lots of gold etc. Now, sometimes they'll get things like rares, SS, PS, etc, that be turned for profit, but they have to sell it first to get actual gold. How they do this is one of many ways: use the forums, many players have accts here on this forum that they can use to publicize their newly acquired goods and find buyers, then they can meet at the Brit docks as mentioned above and sell directly to them. Alternatively they could dual client and transfer these goods to their blue alts and stand around WBB spamming "WTS [insert whatever]" until someone buys it. Also, there are player vendors. You can buy a vendor contract from any NPC banker, set it up at your house and place goods for sale on them at a price you set, and depending in your hose placement and the foot traffic you get, could turn some serious profit. All this being said, reds survive in UO the same way any other blue does. Only, their means of acquiring their goods may be slightly different because it's almost always taking it from other players instead of mobs.
There is a very good graphical guide that I think @SidX made to explain the process of setting up a vendor. If you have some things to sell and would like to check that out.
Anyway, hope that answers some of your questions. :)

lollo

Grandmaster
Just make a provo archer, it'll take 1-2 days to raise skills and you can make 50k gold an hour easily. This will be the only blue char you'll ever need. Make reds with other account

Jager

Grandmaster
Maybe im not being clear. That might be due to the fact im am so noob to ultima online. My orignal intention to this thread was to ask how it is possible to thrive in this mmo as a red. I have quickly discovered that its possible to do this through having multiple accounts with MANY templates(red AND blue).

Well with all this new info in mind i am sorry for my first noob question.

I guess my new question is are all of you just keeping "secret IDs" ? lol

are the regulars of this shard that good at keeping their "red alts" not identifiable from their mains(blues)?

im just trying to feel this all out as it is completely new to me. i respect it but im trying to understand it on the level of being many years behind.

again sorry if im just being noob..
The way to thrive in uo in general is just to do what is fun, there's so much to do in this game. Like Skye said, join a guild, meet some people, figure out a role u want to play. Make uo yours. Feel free to pm me with questions, I'm definitely not most experienced but I have some answers. Good luck. And yea Provo archer is great start.