CTF

Dwayne

Novice
I've played a couple CTFs in the last couple days and have been disappointed. I think there should be mazes added to all 4 bases, so that you can properly wall people out. As of now getting the flag takes 0 skill, you can spam teleport faster than people can run/cast.

View attachment 5597

Kaching

Master
I dont know what changes need to be made, all I know is some diversity needs to be added. I had fun the first handful of times doing it, but same map every time gets old... a few different maps that cycled through would be cool... and possibly even some different rulesets, or different mini games all together would be fun. I know the devs are "in the works" on a lot of things... but these mini games alone could keep the shard thriving if they were diverse enough and not quite so repetitive. I applaud the work thus far, but some changes to these should be pretty quick/simple... hammering out a few different maps would be awesome. And maybe even some that are a bit more asthetically pleasing... different themes, like gruesome blood/bodies morbid theme, rainbow road (like mario kart), I dunno, just some different things... throw out one with a fountain in the middle (that blocks LOS, etc) ... few changes would be cool.

Bunnky

Grandmaster
Do we still have the ability to turn off ctf pop-ups? I turned them off a while ago, and about a couple weeks ago I started seeing them again. Does anyone know why?

I thought this was an appropriate thread to ask on, sorry that I have no input on ctf in general XD

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
I've played a couple CTFs in the last couple days and have been disappointed. I think there should be mazes added to all 4 bases, so that you can properly wall people out. As of now getting the flag takes 0 skill, you can spam teleport faster than people can run/cast.

View attachment 5597

I think some new maps would be sweet. Different bottlenecks and routes to the flag etc would mix it up a lot.

People have just got the formula down for these maps for the most part (except those guys that stand in the doorways...)

Skye Wolfbane

Governor of Trinsic
I really liked the CTF the way it was, before you could custom your template and use your own gear. Seemed more challenging and based more on skill then who had better stuff. But I do like new maps and mazes idea a lot.

Dwayne

Novice
I dont know what changes need to be made, all I know is some diversity needs to be added. I had fun the first handful of times doing it, but same map every time gets old... a few different maps that cycled through would be cool... and possibly even some different rulesets, or different mini games all together would be fun. I know the devs are "in the works" on a lot of things... but these mini games alone could keep the shard thriving if they were diverse enough and not quite so repetitive. I applaud the work thus far, but some changes to these should be pretty quick/simple... hammering out a few different maps would be awesome. And maybe even some that are a bit more asthetically pleasing... different themes, like gruesome blood/bodies morbid theme, rainbow road (like mario kart), I dunno, just some different things... throw out one with a fountain in the middle (that blocks LOS, etc) ... few changes would be cool.

here's a CTF base designed for teams of 3, used to be run on another server (no longer around) back in the day

Dwayne

Novice
I really liked the CTF the way it was, before you could custom your template and use your own gear. Seemed more challenging and based more on skill then who had better stuff. But I do like new maps and mazes idea a lot.

The mazes add a lot more strategy for defending/walling. I agree with not being able to bring your own gear as well. Come in naked, set up a regs/supplies stone so everyone is on the same level. Taking away pots also encourages teamwork.

Dwyane Wade

Grandmaster
I liked that CTF maze map the OP posted, it was a lot of fun. I'd be all for something similar. Also, +1 to everyone having the same gear

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
@Bryce how about a CTF map design competition, similar to the grotto one a while back?

Was it UO architect or something else needed to design dungeons? I've got an itch now and I wanna see how much you can do...

Kaching

Master
I liked the come in without supplies idea, and having some gear stones... kind of reminds me of the Abyss/Test server days. I was always stoked for a CTF for about the first 10-15 times I did it, but it burned out quick. Literally having just a few maps to cycle through would greatly ease the monotony and seems *to me* to be pretty simple. Way more simple than a lot of other large scale implementations that have been done here. Design competition is freaking brilliant btw @Karl Sagan

Jani

Grandmaster
Your picture is from Defiance? I think that's a good idea and new maps would be cool too.

Btw, is there any kind of prizes for the winners?

Easy_buddy

Journeyman
I have an(possibly) easily implemented idea to spice up the map for CTF:
Have a large open area as the battle ground and place castles/keeps/18x18s in different spots before every CTF. Or to make it more interesting still, you could use tons of little houses in a row to make it more street-like. Maybe that'd give it a FPS feel to it.

Geriatric

Expert
i used to design alot of half life / quake 2 and starcraft maps
id gladly offer my services for some CTF designs

it would be really cool to see 2fort4 as an ultima online CTF map

wreckognize

Grandmaster
when you play a match with 3 players on each team, it's basically a race to get 5 captures.

when you play a match with 20 players on each team, you ain't gettin no caps with just teleport solo...

a more reasonable suggestion would be to have walls add themselves depending on # of players total, to slow things down when theres only a handful of players.

but i don't see the point really, take it when you can get it, brah.

Dwayne

Novice
when you play a match with 3 players on each team, it's basically a race to get 5 captures.

when you play a match with 20 players on each team, you ain't gettin no caps with just teleport solo...

a more reasonable suggestion would be to have walls add themselves depending on # of players total, to slow things down when theres only a handful of players.

but i don't see the point really, take it when you can get it, brah.

Sounds like you've never played in a competitive CTF match

If you're "Special K" from Defiance, you were a member of the most pathetic pvp guild I've ever seen, good work.