Couple fishing questions

berticus

Grandmaster
Hopefully I'm posting this in the right section. If not, my sincerest apologies. Hope everyone's having a splendid Friday.

A. Does anyone know how long sea serpents take to "submerge" away with the item you've fished up?
B. Does skill in fishing have any affect whatsoever on what will be rounded up with a fishing net?

Thanks for your time, lovelies. Y'all be good!

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
A. Not sure. We haven't come across serpents in the water with fishing loot on them, so I imagine it can't be too long (maybe 15-30 minutes?). Don't know if engaging the monster resets this timer indefinitely, either.

B. No. Fishing increases serpent rate, not a specific reward rate. More serpents = more chances at MiBs. More chances at MiBs = more chances of getting an ancient.

illusion

Master
1. Can you get an ancient SOS with 100 fishing?
2. With a normal MIB, is there any chance of finding a rare item inside of it, or is that only for the ancient MIBs?
3. What's the perks of having 120 fishing?
4. Besides MIBs, tmaps and nets, is there anything else profitable with fishing? (ie: randomly fishing up a rare item instead of fish).

Yoar

Adept
1. Can you get an ancient SOS with 100 fishing?
Yes!
2. With a normal MIB, is there any chance of finding a rare item inside of it, or is that only for the ancient MIBs?
No rare items spawn in either a normal or an ancient MiB chest. The net that spawns in a normal MiB chest has a chance of getting a nice rare color.
3. What's the perks of having 120 fishing?
You'll catch more serpents and thus more MiBs which means more money! $.$ You also have an increased chance of spawning an Osiredon when fishing up a MiB chest (you need at least 115 fishing to spawn Osiredon).
4. Besides MIBs, tmaps and nets, is there anything else profitable with fishing? (ie: randomly fishing up a rare item instead of fish).
Sometimes people sell nice looking chests. Gold ones that come from ancient MiBs can sell for 200k. I can't think of anything else.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
They are planning to introduce deep sea treasure hunting at some point, where you go to a location shared by participating fishermen/pirates whereupon you can fish up deep sea treasure hunting specific rares. Details are as of yet unannounced.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
They are planning to introduce deep sea treasure hunting at some point, where you go to a location shared by participating fishermen/pirates whereupon you can fish up deep sea treasure hunting specific rares. Details are as of yet unannounced.

details likely to be announced after t2a additions, realistically speaking of course

illusion

Master
Thanks for the replies guys.

So what kindof loot does an ancient mib have on it if there are no rare items inside of it?
And I guess the other thing here is that any fishing net has a chance to spawn a kraken, which can drop rare items as well, is that correct?

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
Thanks for the replies guys.

So what kindof loot does an ancient mib have on it if there are no rare items inside of it?
And I guess the other thing here is that any fishing net has a chance to spawn a kraken, which can drop rare items as well, is that correct?
So a couple of things.

An ancient MiB has high end loot as well as spawns the fabled fishing net. This allows you to summon a Leviathan which can have (though rarely) a Leviathan-specific rare on it (seahorse statuette, Admiral's Hearty Rum, etc.). Kraken, on the other hand, can naturally spawn nets, rope and MiBs as semi-rare drops (you can summon kraken from nets as well as find a few spawn locations out there).

With 115+ Fishing, when fishing up a MiB, instead of spawning a deep elemental and a normal elemental, you have a chance of spawning a deep with an Osiredon. These have lots of health and mana, will insta-dispel summons and have no slayer vulnerabilities, but are otherwise just really strong spell-casters. They have a (slightly higher) chance to drop an Osiredon-specific rare, like hanging fishing nets, hooks, anchors and the like.

illusion

Master
So a couple of things.

An ancient MiB has high end loot as well as spawns the fabled fishing net. This allows you to summon a Leviathan which can have (though rarely) a Leviathan-specific rare on it (seahorse statuette, Admiral's Hearty Rum, etc.). Kraken, on the other hand, can naturally spawn nets, rope and MiBs as semi-rare drops (you can summon kraken from nets as well as find a few spawn locations out there).

With 115+ Fishing, when fishing up a MiB, instead of spawning a deep elemental and a normal elemental, you have a chance of spawning a deep with an Osiredon. These have lots of health and mana, will insta-dispel summons and have no slayer vulnerabilities, but are otherwise just really strong spell-casters. They have a (slightly higher) chance to drop an Osiredon-specific rare, like hanging fishing nets, hooks, anchors and the like.

Awesome, thanks for the replies. So how do you go about killing the Osiredon? Right now I just have 100 fishing and am doing normal MIBs, but I find just the deep elemental and normal elemental somewhat challenging to solo? I'm fishing w/ provo, archery and magery, so I'll usually provo the two onto eachother and summon a daemon and bow down the deep elemental. Does the deep elemental always spawn right ontop of you? Hehe... it's killed me a few times. Is this tactic even possible with the Osiredon or would you need a tamer?

berticus

Grandmaster
I just tested 3 different serpents. They vanshied with my loot 30 minutes after they originally were fished up.

Thanks for all the detailed replies, dudes. Greatly appreciated!

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
Awesome, thanks for the replies. So how do you go about killing the Osiredon? Right now I just have 100 fishing and am doing normal MIBs, but I find just the deep elemental and normal elemental somewhat challenging to solo? I'm fishing w/ provo, archery and magery, so I'll usually provo the two onto eachother and summon a daemon and bow down the deep elemental. Does the deep elemental always spawn right ontop of you? Hehe... it's killed me a few times. Is this tactic even possible with the Osiredon or would you need a tamer?
First, are you using an alt?

Most professional fishers run two fishermen - a GM+ (up to at least 115 for the MiBs/Osiredons) and another GM (minimum). The main fisher typically has hiding so that when the monsters are summoned, they don't instagib the fisherman. Since you have to fish up the MiB, you at least have some preparation time to get summons up and the like. A water dissipation or elemental ban slayer bow will go a long way in dealing with the elementals, but as far as the Osiredon goes, it's pretty easy to survive it with cross-healing between your characters (just run your hiding fisherman out quickly before they can aggro on you).

You can provo the deep water elemental onto the Osiredon, as I recall, so that will help too. Another way is to bring a second ship out, hop aboard, and off-screen it. I was solo fishing (I only run a 120+ Fisher and my main who has no fishing), and suddenly an Osiredon popped up. I NOPE'd right off the ship and sailed away, leaving the Black Wind behind before coming about and advancing slowly 'til I could shoot it from afar hehe. But if it works, it works!

c0mm0n

Neophyte
So a couple of things.

Why the would you want 115 fishing then? If you fish up the same loot fighting an Osreidon/Deep in comparison with a Deep/Water ele? I'd rather not deal with the Osreidon if it rarely drops anything worth a hoot.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
The only way to get Osiredon-specific loot is by killing an Osiredon. Not killing an Osiredon means you gotta' buy the rares (hook, shells, hanging nets of both sizes, anchor), and they are often selling for 200K+ depending. Also, higher fishing means more MiBs, which means more money. If they implement deep sea treasure hunting correctly, it will require 110+ minimum (just like other skills with expansion-related content require powerscrolls), with some sort of incentive to go higher in skill (higher chances of getting rares at the deep sea t-hunt or something).

Messremb

Grandmaster
First, are you using an alt?

Most professional fishers run two fishermen - a GM+ (up to at least 115 for the MiBs/Osiredons) and another GM (minimum). The main fisher typically has hiding so that when the monsters are summoned, they don't instagib the fisherman. Since you have to fish up the MiB, you at least have some preparation time to get summons up and the like. A water dissipation or elemental ban slayer bow will go a long way in dealing with the elementals, but as far as the Osiredon goes, it's pretty easy to survive it with cross-healing between your characters (just run your hiding fisherman out quickly before they can aggro on you).

You can provo the deep water elemental onto the Osiredon, as I recall, so that will help too. Another way is to bring a second ship out, hop aboard, and off-screen it. I was solo fishing (I only run a 120+ Fisher and my main who has no fishing), and suddenly an Osiredon popped up. I NOPE'd right off the ship and sailed away, leaving the Black Wind behind before coming about and advancing slowly 'til I could shoot it from afar hehe. But if it works, it works!

I think they gave him a boost in power and lowered the chance of getting him. I had two Osiredons the other day and one was so bad I had to bring in my tamer. and even then he owned my WW before I got him dead. the other one I failed to provo on 4 times in a row but was able to handle without my tamer.

he used to be just as easy as a deep water elemental, but now he seems much harder.

BeerJedi

Grandmaster
This seems the perfect thread to ask my one question in fishing; "What the hell am i doing wrong?!"

Ok - now to qualify this: I've got a nice 100 GM fisherman. I've taken him out fr deep sea fishing twice. And when i say have taken him out fishing, i'm talking full on commit, sitting at the keys, fishing away looking for MIBs. I make sure I am more than (usualy way more) 15 tiles from the nearest shore line. I've been on the seas fishing for a combined 11 hours over just two sessions. Yes, just two sessions. laptop in lap, movie on TV, late night and not waking the family. the most recent was yesterday - i fished from 4pm until 11pm. And got a single map.

In 11 hours of true fishing i've gotten the following:

1 MIB
1 Plainly drawn Treasure map
2 Nets

for the love of sanity - Is fishing the ultimate punk to others who don't know? or is it as profitable as everyone claims. I raised a fisher for those nights when Pks are controlling monsters or i just want to chill and grill. but that is some painful results. so... any ideas what i can be doing wrong?

I stand on the bow and fish to either side.
I make sure to be in deep water away from anything
The instant i see "fish ain't biting" i move the boat a good distance and make sure fish are biting
i've seen a total of 4 serps. they've given the above.
I bathe my character religously so the smell won't drive the fish away
I've purchased the Bass Master 2000 for quick bass shakes. this has helped feed the homeless with all the fish i've pulled out. The UO beggars love me.
I've tried different boats.
I've tried different poles.
I've tried differents Seas
I've tried Fishing for dummies - but that was too compicated for me.

(in all seriousness - am i missing something or do i simply suck?)

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
Most professional fishers use more than 1 fisherman, and certainly GM+. You're not gonna' get a whole lot with a single GM Fisher.

It might just be a bad stretch (we've all had 'em). It's been a long, long time since I've had just GM on a boat, but on average you should be getting about 1-2 mibs an hour (plus other stuff). Only thing I can think of is that you aren't optimizing your fishing. While watching TV or doing something else, you are also fishing awhile in barren waters. In other words, the whole time you're fishing, you aren't actually fishing; a lot of it is just standing there.

I'd invest in another fisherman and get one of 'em GM+