Couldnt find this info

Mumm-ra

Neophyte
Hi there, I was on for a while last night and kept being given advice to macro skills. I would rather gain through playing attended but had a question. Couldn't find it on the wiki but do I need to fight progressive tougher monsters to gain archery. From back. In the day I would have hit Brit graveyard till about 65 then EEttins till 75 then earth elemental till GM. Would this be the same for Provo too. Not sure if I am looking in the wrong place but couldn't find any "guides" on skill gain on the wiki.

Thanks.
Mumm-ra

DrSaso

Master
I believe that is correct, training up a dexxer with swords currently and notice i get a lot more frequent skill gains from earth eles than i do with skeletons.

And yes it is similar with provo.

What i did for my provo archer was get my ass to the bards table. Can't remember which dungeon it is now (in mountains...first monsters are liches skells and zombies) but if you ask nicely at the bank I'm sure someone will gate you, or find a rune library and should be listed somewhere.

The table is basically a place you can tp/recall to where you are surrounded my non range mobs and can't be attacked. So what you want to do is set up a macro to
* use provo
*Target monster (by type so you can adjust as skill gains)
*Target self (so the mobs don't kill
eachother)
*wait 10secs (or what ever the cooldown is)
*loop

So here you can target skells, zombies and rotting corpses to finish. Just remember to bring a few instruments :D

In addition to gaining bard skills here, you *can* gain archery too. Grab ya newbie bow (least damage and won't lose when pk'd) and a heap of arrows and shoot only at the rotting corpses. They are the hardest so will give gains the longest and also have a boat load of hp.

What you want to do is attack the rotting corpse till about 25% hp and then swap to the other rotting corpse till they get to 25%. Then keep alternating so you don't kill them. Even better if a paragon there as will be licking off shots for days :p

Just be sure not to kill anything...i mean....you can...but people get a bit pissed if you do as it could break their macros(if absolute target instead of type) or just have down time where you have to wait for respawn.

And always be on the look out for pkers. They'll either just run in and directly attack people macroing or they'll lure a lich or two from up the corridor and let them do the work as most don't realise they are under attack *coughs* afkers *coughs*

Best of luck to you :D

King Dingaling

Grandmaster
bard table is in deceit. i know u dont want to macro unattended but there is no reason to level that up through playing the game...its pointless and u really wont get any accomplishment from it. the graveyard in jhelom doing zombies til 80? then bard table on rotting corpse til gm.

as far as weapon skill, i went to cove dungeon and killed harpys one at a time til maybe the 80's..maybe 90. then shame to gm off earth elementals. but as far as archery..its a little harder. i think around 80 (before i used skill scrolls), i parked him in a safe spot in level 2 shame and let him pick off the deep earth elementals

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
I disagree entirely Dingaling, melee skills raise so fast, why macro them? I haven't afk'd a weapon skill yet.

And honestly you don't need progressively harder mobs here... Start in Shame/Despise though, so you don't whiff as much, you'll get faster gains from connecting your swings/shots... You can GM off of Earth Ele's or Ettins, however when they get boring, try different mobs to spice things up.. Shame 2 has some caster ele's, wind/water - go down there take some swings, don't stand still so they cast, and kill you, joust with them, take your hit, back off, wait a second or two, go in with another swing...

In regards to Provocation however, it's rather boring provoking monsters to GM - I'd definitely macro that one, but it's the sort of thing I'd macro it at the bard table when I got to bed, and use it while training my archer actively when playing... You'll GM both fairly quick, probably within a couple days playing.

Mumm-ra

Neophyte
Awesome advice, I recon I might do the bard table then and just read a book while it's running so if anyone comes along I can react. I'm loving the server though and the gains while hunting will be a bonus then when I had enough I will go to the table. Thanks guys.

King Dingaling

Grandmaster
I disagree entirely Dingaling, melee skills raise so fast, why macro them? I haven't afk'd a weapon skill yet.

And honestly you don't need progressively harder mobs here... Start in Shame/Despise though, so you don't whiff as much, you'll get faster gains from connecting your swings/shots... You can GM off of Earth Ele's or Ettins, however when they get boring, try different mobs to spice things up.. Shame 2 has some caster ele's, wind/water - go down there take some swings, don't stand still so they cast, and kill you, joust with them, take your hit, back off, wait a second or two, go in with another swing...

In regards to Provocation however, it's rather boring provoking monsters to GM - I'd definitely macro that one, but it's the sort of thing I'd macro it at the bard table when I got to bed, and use it while training my archer actively when playing... You'll GM both fairly quick, probably within a couple days playing.
right...totally meant that for music and provo only. weapon skills itself will gm in a few hours..tactics usually a little longer. but archery is no where near the same as the rest. unless something has changed recently, the two times ive made an archer took a lot longer than the rest of the melee skills.

IMO... macro music and provo. then park a dead char in a dungeon and macro healing off him. randomly popping in to refill bandages and make sure u werent pked. over night should gm healing and anatomy. then head to cove to gain weapon skill until mid 80s. the reason i say cove? harpys dont deal near enough damage as earth eles..and its not as frequently harassed by pkers. then to shame to finish it off. trust me, ive made and deleted and remade a ton of dexxers. by far the easiest and quickest way..other than buying a bunch of skill scrolls.

magic resist is a different animal...

Last edited:

Mumm-ra

Neophyte
Yeah music is coming along, going to deffo do ant and healing too. Then as you say just plug away at archery.