Convincing people to engage in pvp.

Rubeido

Apprentice
OK, so you want to convince more people to pvp? Promote it so playerss can have fun? Easiest fix in the world

First off, item to eliminate reg cost for spells

Second, armor and weapon bless deads.(or pvp specific armora/weapons that are blessed)

Problem solved, your welcome.

StegcO

Grandmaster
More simply is if eppy add infinite reag and infinite valorite weapons on test server and we all move to play there :D

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
@Rubeido - that's a horrible suggestion mate. You can do that if PvP was contained in a box (like there PvP events for king of the hill and such). But UO is about the field fights, and field fights involve PvM'rs more times than not. So basically you just protected PvP'rs, and they are now running around slaughtering PvM'rs with no risk to themselves, you've actually made the problem worse.. :(

Rubeido

Apprentice
@Rubeido - that's a horrible suggestion mate. You can do that if PvP was contained in a box (like there PvP events for king of the hill and such). But UO is about the field fights, and field fights involve PvM'rs more times than not. So basically you just protected PvP'rs, and they are now running around slaughtering PvM'rs with no risk to themselves, you've actually made the problem worse.. :(
no because the pvm will also have the same blessed equipment etc. so when a pker comes along, the pvm doesnt have to fear and run away, they can engage with peice of mind that their best weapons/gear wont be lost should they lose that engagement. This just takes away the profitability of pking as a source of income, and allows pvm character to feel it is ok to engage and fight the pvper, instead of just run away/recall etc.

Rubeido

Apprentice
Sounds to me like you are wanting to play a game that isn't UO
bless deeds are a thing in UO. and reduction to reg costs, are a thing in UO. in no way am i adding or taking anything away from UO. these are systems that are in uo as we speak. Clothe bless deeds exist. Armor/Weapon bless deeds exsist. This IS UO. or did you not know that already?

Rubeido

Apprentice
if you want blessed armor and no reg cost.

play a AoS+ Server.

noone dont pvp because he fears losing 800gp worth of regs.
But they do fear losing their full sets of slayers armor, weapon etc.

But wouldnt pvp be more fun if you could pvp with your best gearg? What's the point of even having good gesr in aa game if it'll just sit in your bank collecting dust because youll lose it the moment you tske it out.

It's like owning a ferrari, but it just sits in your garage.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
This is UO, prior to all that blessed crap, trammel landmassl and casting gear/LRC and other stuff that drove many of us to free shards, and away from OSI...

By blessing everything you destroy an entire economy, people actually play this game for the crafting, to live a vendors life... That's what made UO what it was the freedom to play in many different playstyles, beyond the hero who went on adventures and slayed monsters...

I don't think you understand what makes this era of UO what it was...

Rubeido

Apprentice
This is UO, prior to all that blessed crap, trammel landmassl and casting gear/LRC and other stuff that drove many of us to free shards, and away from OSI...

By blessing everything you destroy an entire economy, people actually play this game for the crafting, to live a vendors life... That's what made UO what it was the freedom to play in many different playstyles, beyond the hero who went on adventures and slayed monsters...

I don't think you understand what makes this era of UO what it was...
Or what made this era cause aa game to fade away, while games like wow are still number 1 aftera decade

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
There is a reason UOF does as well as it does, amongst competition of hundreds of shards of all eras.. they've found a niche that people look for. I'm sure there there has been a server tries trie the things you've said because someone felt the same at some point.. but where is it now?

You are suggesting could core changes to what has been a very successful free shard run.. start with little steps..

Rubeido

Apprentice
I
There is a reason UOF does as well as it does, amongst competition of hundreds of shards of all eras.. they've found a niche that people look for. I'm sure there there has been a server tries trie the things you've said because someone felt the same at some point.. but where is it now?

You are suggesting could core changes to what has been a very successful free shard run.. start with little steps..
Is it successful though? When searching this one only caught my attention because of fast skill gains. All other reviews were all negative

PhireHawk

Adept
Or what made this era cause aa game to fade away, while games like wow are still number 1 aftera decade

WoW is a great game for what it is. It's not a sandbox game, it's an instanced PvE game that has PvP you can queue for to join. Even the "PvP" servers are only different by the ability to attack warring faction members in contested zones and that almost never happens because there's literally no point to it. You can cite WoW as the #1 game all you want, and that's all well and good but it's not what the people who play this game on this shard are looking for.

UO is a true sandbox game, and when you try to shove non-sandbox rules into it, the game changes into something else. Something the people on this shard don't want. Something that spread the already thin population out into 5 different lands to the point where you could run for weeks thru the game and never see another player, so they started closing shards to fix the scarcity of the population.

If you're looking for consensual PvP only and never losing anything if you do die, like I said, you're looking for something that isn't UO. Not as we know it, at least.

Rubeido

Apprentice
WoW is a great game for what it is. It's not a sandbox game, it's an instanced PvE game that has PvP you can queue for to join. Even the "PvP" servers are only different by the ability to attack warring faction members in contested zones and that almost never happens because there's literally no point to it. You can cite WoW as the #1 game all you want, and that's all well and good but it's not what the people who play this game on this shard are looking for.

UO is a true sandbox game, and when you try to shove non-sandbox rules into it, the game changes into something else. Something the people on this shard don't want. Something that spread the already thin population out into 5 different lands to the point where you could run for weeks thru the game and never see another player, so they started closing shards to fix the scarcity of the population.

If you're looking for consensual PvP only and never losing anything if you do die, like I said, you're looking for something that isn't UO. Not as we know it, at least.
Your taking things to ana extreme. In your mind we must have rampant murderers running around a post apocalyptic distopia. In order for it to be true to its roots. The original uo was never like this. It isn't even true to life, as is the creator alwaysa wanted it to be. Because a few nihilist crusaders want to murder people. All you have done is alienate those who would playp on the sever to cater to 600 players who live in a bubble. When with common sense changes iticould be more true to the original uo, and have triple the population.

This server has an illusion of population. Having 3 accounts per person and vendors spamming in brit makes it feel more populated. But doing things with other people is rare. Your a party of 3 people by yourself

PhireHawk

Adept
Your taking things to ana extreme. In your mind we must have rampant murderers running around a post apocalyptic distopia. In order for it to be true to its roots. The original uo was never like this.

The original UO was like that, clearly you weren't there. The reason stat loss was implemented was to curb some of that, or offer a penalty for that behavior if you chose to partake in it. To say it wasn't like that, is just not true. There were more Dread Lords than there were any other title of character. That's factually true, and something Starr Long and Richard Garriott discussed at length during the 5th anniversary of this server last month. They also lamented the inclusion of Trammel because it separated the population.

This server has an illusion of population. Having 3 accounts per person and vendors spamming in brit makes it feel more populated. But doing things with other people is rare. Your a party of 3 people by yourself

I play with 7-10 people on an almost daily basis. I think if you spent more time seeking out a guild to join, rather than coming to the forums to ***** about a server you clearly know nothing about, you'd probably have an easier time meeting people to play the game with.

It's no skin off my ass though, so whatever blows your hair back.