Buy taming SS now or wait?

Henrik

Master
I'm training up a tamer for the first time (I'm @ 73 atm). I've read alot about how difficult and time consuming it is when post 80 so I plan to eat SS's later on.

I've followed the market since last year and I've seen the prices go up on taming SS's to nearly 500k per (xmas peak) and seen them drop lately til like 250k per. I'm planning on buying half of the SS's with real $ (i.e donos) and I've noticed the value for these drop lately as well.

So, I would like some advice from you guys regarding the subject.

Is it a good time for buying taming SS's or do you think the value will drop even more?

Should I eat SS's from 80, 85, 90 or even 95? Some people says one shouldn't eat them till after GM (yes, I'm planning to go for 120) but my plan is to reach GM, tame some drags and farm lots of cash to buy SS's (and PS's) purely with in game cash.

Thanks!

vagelisv

Grandmaster
although I bought 10 yesterday I will admit that I had to wait... I think ppl are gonna spend a lot on dexxers and prices will drop

Henrik

Master
wait to at least use them ..80-90 really doesn't take as long u think. i believe i did it in about 10 hrs..

Damn, that's not much. Shouldn't take so long from 73 to 80 either I suppose?

I've read that it takes 200-300 hours to GM taming. May it be the last 10 skill points (90-gm) that are the real time consuming ones?

May I ask if you tamed in dungeons from 80-90 or in the woods (and/or compassion)?

I took advantage of the bonus gains yesterday. Went from 84.1 to 92.1 in about 9 hours. Best gains from small hell cats with break every so often to go take a bull late hellcat and lava lizards. Dunno if it just seemed that way but when gains slowed and I recalled out takes something else and came back the Gaines kicked back in. I was also multi screen farming and took a few breaks to run to store eat etc so real time was prolly round 7ish hours

King Dingaling

Grandmaster
^^ same thing i did. i tamed in dungeons from 60 -92 (skill scrolls to gm).

im not sure why people say it takes 200-300 hrs. that's insane. i did 2 hrs a day usually..few days i did about 4hrs off and on..took a few weeks

Duck Face

Grandmaster
My guess is the prices will settle to around 200k. The 500k price was caused by a couple of new guys that donated a lot to rush to 120.

Only problem now is that meta eggs are steadily being introduced maybe 2 eggs/day it seems now. This will bump up the demand for the ss for those people that want to play w/ the meta eggs.

But I'd wait another couple weeks to buy if I were you, prices could drop more if everyone decides to go the dexxer relic route.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Even at 150k it was worth it for me to train manually to 97 on my second tamer.

1pt-2pts an hr of gains even that high, which were starting to peter out and I had the scrolls laying around already.

Peacemaking + knowing what to tame will take you far, friends.

Henrik

Master
Yeah, I've actually decided to grind as far as possible - hopefully all the way and buy/eat the SS for gm and up instead.

Met a guy yesterday who was at 96.5 and he gained ~.3 per 20 mins just by taming harts and bulls.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can gain taming skill way faster than you can farm money -- and if that's not the case, you're not taming properly. Even 90-100 you can do 1 full point every 1-1.5 hours pretty easily.

Agentodd

Journeyman
As long as you tame the right creatures/monsters at the right time GM isn't to hard to get.

I would wait to eat scrolls 105+ but then im tighter than the skin on a fresh apple :D

I got to 97 and stopped for ages as friends tamed me dragons mares and WWs and found it a good time to have a break from it as I had some bonded pets I could use.

GMed it the other day when shane put the extra skill gain on for the day, had another guy with me on 106 taming my tames, said he hadn't seen gains for weeks but got around 0.7 following me with the extra skill gain shane put on.

So see how it goes

Henrik

Master
Pew... Taming is tedious and a tip from me is to set a daily goal for gains and stick to that. I consider 1-1,5 gains per hour is okey for late 70s at least (where I'm @ now) and have a daily goal for 2-3 skill points. It takes time but that's ok cause I know what goddies will come :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Agentodd

Journeyman
Pew... Taming is tedious and a tip from me is to set a daily goal for gains and stick to that. I consider 1-1,5 gains per hous is okey for late 70s at least (where I'm @ now) and have a daily goal for 2-3 skill points. It takes time but that's ok cause I know what goddies will come :)

Yea that's the way with taming you get it all at the end, not much to do till then

If you have a second monitor tame in one and farm gold or resources in the other or work on customizing your house. Takes a lot of the monotony out of it.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Good advice ^

There's an ebb and flow to gain rates based on difficulty of creatures being tamed so things get a little slow at the beginning and end of each animal/monster. So if you aren't chain taming with a friend you had better find something to pass the time.

Henrik

Master
I really wanna do some shit (like farming) with a 2nd char but I find it hard. Using an afk macro (which isn't allowed) would be one thing, but now it's like start taming... 5 seconds... fail or success, start over or walk to the next creature, rinse and repeat. I would be a different thing if taming a creature would take 30 seconds...