Bowcraft/fletching - Undervalued and specially reduced. The worst profession in the UO! Missing

egor

Grandmaster
What about hitting 2 birds with one stone? Giving tinkers some love at the same time:

Tinker made fletching kits have a chance to make advanced fletching kits. These kits have a better chance to make magic bows.

Cant do bods with with fletching so no runic type hammers but this maybe able to bridge the gap a little bumping up percentage without having to tweak the whole system.

))) And from this - more colored wood will be extracted? Like the mining ore? What you say - does not affect the process, with the skill bowcraft 100! the skill itself is very small, in order to produce from colored wood, good bows! The skill itself is a brake! And what you say does not have any positive results! And to compare it with hammers, it's funny! This is how to compare an elephant with a fly

Streets

Grandmaster
Maybe different colored ingots will have better fletching kits? I agree fletching is $h!t right now. Maybe tie it into archery skill too some how?

egor

Grandmaster
Don't see them winning there either

1. This is not a topic for PVP, but for crafting!
2. If you are mili, bows are better than alchemy. all the more in a bounded space!

In pvp bows are rarely used, but they are very much used in PVE!

I agree that there needs to be some changes to archery and bowcraft. Here is some of my suggestions:

1. Be able to poison arrows.

2. Make the wood types actually mean something. Any kind of modifier would be good. I propose a simple durability modifier. Simple and not overpowering.

3. Make quivers craftable. It would make for a cool new look that actually has a purpose. Maybe a legendary skill or something.

4. Make quivers useable. Ability to load a quiver with arrows (10-20). This allows you to shoot those arrows at a faster rate. After the quiver is empty, you would just use arrows as normal. In order to prevent abuse, reloading must be done by GM bowcrafter or NPC bowcrafter cheap gold sink. And equipping the quiver would need to take some time, to prevent people from just using more than one.

Streets

Grandmaster
I agree that there needs to be some changes to archery and bowcraft. Here is some of my suggestions:

2. Make the wood types actually mean something. Any kind of modifier would be good. I propose a simple durability modifier. Simple and not overpowering.

3. Make quivers craftable. It would make for a cool new look that actually has a purpose. Maybe a legendary skill or something.

4. Make quivers useable. Ability to load a quiver with arrows (10-20). This allows you to shoot those arrows at a faster rate. After the quiver is empty, you would just use arrows as normal. In order to prevent abuse, reloading must be done by GM bowcrafter or NPC bowcrafter cheap gold sink. And equipping the quiver would need to take some time, to prevent people from just using more than one.

I like the idea of making ammo with different wood types never thought about that, and it's a resource that constantly needs replenishing. Green for poison Frost for stun.. will never happen on this server though.

Dunno about the quivers though, I don't like the look and it would feel like you loose some customization if you have to use quivers.

Quiver would need to be a high level craftable item. But definitely not a required item.

The only perks you get for using a quiver is the ability to fire faster for a small qty of arrows. And the look of having a quiver.

If you dont use the quiver, you don't lose a whole lot.

egor

Grandmaster

It is enough if a make a tree for its intended purpose, that is, it will make bonuses - for certain types of color wood! What would a slayer ordinary wood - and the slayer of frostwood = were not the same! And also increase the skill of bowcraft or increase the extraction of colored wood, as in mining!!
just think of a thing that will wear and it will increase the skill

egor

Grandmaster
Quiver would need to be a high level craftable item. But definitely not a required item.

The only perks you get for using a quiver is the ability to fire faster for a small qty of arrows. And the look of having a quiver.

If you dont use the quiver, you don't lose a whole lot.

how the quiver will affect the better production of the slayer? or how it will affect the extraction of the tree? It's about making bows, not archery! ))

how the quiver will affect the better production of the slayer. or how it will affect the extraction of the tree! It's about making bows, not archery!

Upgrading bowcraft/fletching can be done in a multitude of ways. The different woods having an actual purpose is definitely one that needs to be addressed.

Yet, I think more options need to be available. Bowcrafting is boring. 3 bows, 2 arrows, and shafts. That's it. Adding useable and craftable quivers is an easy start. They are already in the game just allow us to make them and make it so they give a little bonus.

egor

Grandmaster
Upgrading bowcraft/fletching can be done in a multitude of ways. The different woods having an actual purpose is definitely one that needs to be addressed.

Yet, I think more options need to be available. Bowcrafting is boring. 3 bows, 2 arrows, and shafts. That's it. Adding useable and craftable quivers is an easy start. They are already in the game just allow us to make them and make it so they give a little bonus.

Ideas are good. But, at least, colored wood was repaired))! And Gloves +5 bowcraft and Lumberjacking invented

shirtandpantsman

Grandmaster
you can throw purple pots while wielding spears and war hammers, why can't you throw purple pots while wielding a bow? or maybe instead of purple pots make it so you can drink regular pots with a bow to change it up

but obviously poison errors would be the shit. I will dp every single arrow one by one lovingly

Streets

Grandmaster
I can see this working as an item crafted with fletching using different woods. A quiver that is clickable for an effect (so not needed to wear to use) like a wand (just for description purposes.) Must have bow in hands for this to work (to prevent abuse of dexers using with melee weapons)

Multiple quivers hold up to 10 or so charges depending on the effect (like a rune book) and Fletcher's have to make special arrows (resource) to charge the quiver.

Quivers could offer effects from heals or equivalent to decide/str potions to 1 sec stuns to poisoning or even a moving shot. The possibilities are endless.

DrSaso

Master
Some pretty good suggestions in here. Like idea of a craftable quiver they increases the speed of firing :D but limiting it to like 20 arrows or what ever would be a little pointless imo. But that's just because i pvm so would prefer maybe knocking a 1/3 off the fire rate and it can hold like 1000 arrows and can jyst6 be replenished. Maybe it takes ware and eventually brakes needing fletching repair or re crafting....maybe some bonus stats too?

Following on from that could be made from different woods to yield slightly better properties, like additional power/vanq for a tiny bit more damage...or archery skill so we don't miss so damn much!

Possibly you could use different wood to make the quiver which then has a chance to apply a special property to the arrows it shoots. I.e.green wood gives a 10% chance of firing a poison arrow or a frost wood quiver has the same chance but for a paralyze/stun shot? Would stop the apam of just green arrows poisioning everytime lol.

But fletching deffo needs some love as i just don't see the point of picking it up when with zero i can make basic arrows and let some other waste their time to make thousands of bows only to yield a few slayers and the like

Streets

Grandmaster
The concern is not to over balance fletching though. To many charges and archery goes from being $h!t in PvP to God mode. Low charges makes you either recharge it often or buy multiples. The recharge resource can also be used a balancing mechanic as well as boost other trade skills. For example:

Poison arrow- requires 115 fletching (assuming power scrolls else 97 fletching) - requires 8 heartwood 12 deadly poison. - applies standard posion to an enhanced arrow. (Poison skill can increase the poison to deadly) - this arrow can not be fired by mormal means, must be placed in a quiver (also Fletcher made) - poison arrows must be placed in posion quiver and grants 1 change to quiver. (Quiver will have a Max charge count)

Each shot reduces quiver durability by one, must be repaired by Fletcher. (This ensures that once you have said quiver you still need to maintain it)

Option 2:

Each quiver has a set amount of charges when made once charges are used up it's gone. This ensures fletching is continually needed like other weapon skills. Example :

Freezing quiver - 20 frostwood 300 Mandrake root - creates a freezing quiver with x charges. - when hit target is frozen/stunned for 1 second. Spell resist and lower hit chance % on player targets.

Just some ideas how this could work and is no means saying this is perfect just showing some ideas to boost the fletching skill.

jkg8787

Master
Nice ideas. Too complicated though imo.

Modify colored wood drops. Give/change wood bonus modifier to Bows. Randomize tree %s if not already randomed.

Basically runics for bows. Colored wood is randomized meaning you can't just mark certain trees. Rates can be adjusted to limit the possibility of equivalent of Valorite/Supreme bow.

This way instead of BODs being how you get Runics thru reward hammers a "runic" bow is made thru sweat of the brow and actually having to harvest physically the logs from trees that are random.

Kind of more of a clean up and few changes to existing system without going crazy.

Streets

Grandmaster

Modify colored wood drops. Give/change wood bonus modifier to Bows. Randomize tree %s if not already randomed.

Basically runics for bows. Colored wood is randomized meaning you can't just mark certain trees. Rates can be adjusted to limit the possibility of equivalent of Valorite/Supreme bow.

This way instead of BODs being how you get Runics thru reward hammers a "runic" bow is made thru sweat of the brow and actually having to harvest physically the logs from trees that are random.

Kind of more of a clean up and few changes to existing system without going crazy.

Hmm ... The concern is would this be adequate to fletching or would this just boost the trade partially and need a revisit again down the road? I do wish to keep it from being all complicated as you said but if a skill (any skill) isn't balanced properly during a tuning and players say it still needs fixing you generally get a "you just got buffed quit complaining" response.

egor

Grandmaster

wood and so random, plus more snakes! Because of this, I wrote that - extraction of colored wood is 10 times more difficult than mining ore! When you cut down trees, you never know what kind of wood you will get! For 14 hours of work (clean time) 450 Frostwood!

Last edited: