Are Youngs OP now?

Radar Mile

Master
I think 10 hours of play time is plenty. That's enough for a returning player to re-learn the game with UOF's ruleset. For people brand new to UO, I doubt 40 hours is enough to learn the game competently. But 10 hours of protected gameplay still seems plenty. Obviously anyone who has never played UO before is going to require a sponsor of some sort (isn't this what the companion system is for?) and making them invincible for 40 hours is against the spirit of what UO is all about. UO is by nature a relatively unforgiving community. If they can't handle that, they're going to quit regardless of how long their young status lasts. Bump it back down.

halygon

Grandmaster
LMAO XXXAPPLESAUCEXXX [Young] is looting all the blue corpses at WB bridge right now... running to the bank.. storing it away and going back for more loot.

Radar Mile

Master
The point of Young status is to give people some immunity from hostile elements while they become accustomed to the game. If people are going to abuse the system, it could potentially be removed and replaced with a newbie area with a Trammel ruleset. New players can travel back and forth to this area for the same amount of time that they would be "young." (AKA Haven) Though outside of this area they are just like any other player.

Maybe something to consider?

I would think, someone starts a brand new account. Macros up skills in 5 hours to get GM, then immediately heads down to shame 5 shouldn't get protected by this. This person has obviously played the game before. In the past where a system like this has been used, the players were able to access a trammel dungeon for 40 hours, complete with a bank and vendors. The monsters might not drop the loot that paragons drop, but at least they get to learn the game. isnt that the point of young? To learn the game, not to gather riches and transfer them to your main once the 40 hours runs out?

Bunnky

Grandmaster
If people are actually using VPNs to abuse the benefits of young status for [Edit: 40 Wtf?] hours worth of gold farming...

I don't say this much.. If ever.. But..

Please quit UO.

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using Tapatalk

If people are actually using VPNs to abuse the benefits of young status for 9 hours worth of gold farming...

I don't say this much.. If ever.. But..

Please quit UO.

if you think it takes 31 hours to get a gold farming character you are sadly mistaken, with access to all the right materials, i would venture you could have a dexxor easily in 8 hours. Then thats 32 hours of free farm with vanq slayer wherever you want. If you wanted just an IDOC looter or 2, that would mean just needing the ability to gate travel and 100 str. This would take about 4 hours. Then you have 36 hours of IDOC free looting. Now with the new system, you could potentially get 9+ idoc free loots with this account. Not to mention use it also as a place holder for house plots you are selling on the forums.

I mean maybe a note should be put down about a young player free farming like a madman. Then after his 40 hours are up, check his bank account the next day. If its empty and the account is never logged into again, then its obvious what is happening.

Bunnky

Grandmaster
if you think it takes 31 hours to get a gold farming character you are sadly mistaken, with access to all the right materials, i would venture you could have a dexxor easily in 8 hours. Then thats 32 hours of free farm with vanq slayer wherever you want. If you wanted just an IDOC looter or 2, that would mean just needing the ability to gate travel and 100 str. This would take about 4 hours. Then you have 36 hours of IDOC free looting. Now with the new system, you could potentially get 9+ idoc free loots with this account. Not to mention use it also as a place holder for house plots you are selling on the forums.

I mean maybe a note should be put down about a young player free farming like a madman. Then after his 40 hours are up, check his bank account the next day. If its empty and the account is never logged into again, then its obvious what is happening.
Nah I don't think it takes that long at all. I know it doesn't.. I'm just saying, taking the time to setup a vpn to have an advantage as a young is a whole nother spectrum of sadness.

VFingerDiscount

Grandmaster
If a young goes grey or becomes over 90 in any skill the young tag should drop. There's a message that looting a blue corpse is criminal. If you can cast an EV or provoke high level mobs then you shouldn't be a young... Maybe just make it eight hours of game time. That is a ton right there. The problem though isn't with true new players its with rich players that can load up their alt with all the mats and gold needed to make a 5-7x gm within a day and still have loads of time to wreak havoc with little repercussions, if any.

Sent from Baja 1997

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
Isn't there a skill cap on being young?

Seems like a whole lot of speculation in here.

@Bryce can you lay out the changes and current rules on young status? Might make the conversation here a bit more productive without all the boogeymen.

Skye Wolfbane

Governor of Trinsic
Last I heard it was about 600. Not much of a cap. Even 500 isn't. It's not even the template building. It's doing other stuff where they don't even need skills. I think most people can agree 40 hours is too long.

Zee_UO

Last I heard it was about 600. Not much of a cap. Even 500 isn't. It's not even the template building. It's doing other stuff where they don't even need skills. I think most people can agree 40 hours is too long.
It's actually 500 skill points.

Mr Pain

Apprentice
Young Lords, huh?

Set a karma limit on being a young. If you go anywhere near Lord, you should lose your protection. You obviously dont need it and anyone capable of going anywhere near that in that amount of time is likely exploiting anyways.