Archery love...

Streets

Grandmaster
Let me start off by saying this is not a complaint by any means but any chance archer could be looked at a little deeper?

As it stand now the skill is mostly used as a sport. Sporting a group, anot her skill like fishing or to range sport a melee weapon skill. Now I know archery can be used with kiting but I can also bob and weave quite effeciently with my melee toons as well and hit for far more damage and more often, not to mention swing while moving in pvp (agreed at melee range but the potential is there)

Relics may be used by archery but let's face it none scream out "archer item" like any other meta.

There are also many perks to the other weapon skill that are far more ideal than archery, such as lj damage bonus, stuns, poisions, disarms. Etc . Not to mention being able to throw pots on the move (which can't miss do great damage while not stoping.)

So how about some tweaking ideas?

So explosion pots would be over powered I can agree with that how about the opposite then? Alow archer to drink heals/cures etc instead? Something minor but equal to damage pots?

Maybe tie in fletching some how? Maybe the type of wood used to make the bow as well? For example:

1% (or maybe 0.5% ?) chance per point in fletching to trigger a special move based on the wood type of you weapon?

Plain wood: chance to fire while moving at x% damage

Oak: chance to parry/negate melee or magic attack.

Ash: chance to fire a second show at ×% damage

Yew: increased hit point regeneration while equipped based on fletching?

Bloodwood: chance to cause a bleed attack on your aponent reducing healing by 50% for x seconds

Heartwood: chance to poision your target

Frostwood: chance to freeze your aponent in place for x seconds

Note that these ideas are not triggered at will just percs

And this may not be the answer. .. they are just ideas of things to get the ball rolling. As it is now archery is the only 2 handed weapon skill without a perk.

I know I can always make a melee character of I don't like how archery is (and I actually do have melee toons as well as casters) but I really enjoy the archer/ranger/hunter (what ever they call the bow and arrow class in a specific game.) And while I'm not asking for archery to be the best combat skill I just want to be viable with the class/skill I find enjoyable.

I am asking for just a relook at the skill maybe I am wrong I don't know but something does not feel balanced atm.

Thanks for reading. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
archery is effective in that its a great kiting tool -- so if you want to play like a ***** and have 5 archers just run from people and kite, its good there. Its not good in a stand still all out fight, but then again, with running how it is on this shard, you never see those anyway.

Streets

Grandmaster
I (and many others) can kite quite well to an extent with melee weapons and archery though.

"soif you want to play like a ***** and have 5 alchemist just run from people andkite, its good there."

"soif you want to play like a ***** and have 5 mages just run from people andkite, its good there."

"soif you want to play like a ***** and have 5 tamers just run from people andkite, its good there."

"soif you want to play like a ***** and have 5 dexxers just run from people andkite, its good there."

#seewhatididthere?

"Itsnot good in a stand still all out fight, but then again, with running how it is on this shard, you never see those anyway"

That's the problem though archery can not fire on the move and the reset timer starts when you come to a complete stop making archery painful in pvp and average in pvm. You never hear "I make as much on my archer as I do with my mage or tammer" nor will you hear "my archer would cruch your 7x lumberjack"

Have you even played an archer bud? I am not saying make archery gods in pvp I just want a level playing field. Again with 3 accounts and no monthly fees (yes I donate) I can (and do) have other characters to play I just don't find it fun... unfortunetly the Clas I do find fun I don't find as effective...

halygon

Grandmaster
You never hear "I make as much on my archer as I do with my mage or tammer"
Actually I hear this quite often with provo archers - the #1 most popular money making template on UOF.

That's the problem though archery can not fire on the move and the reset timer starts when you come to a complete stop making archery painful in pvp and average in pvm.
I am pretty sure that this is not true. One of the reasons why we found archery OP with alchemy is because the swing timer doesn't require you to be stopped to reset -- you just cannot shoot till you stop.

Streets

Grandmaster
"Actually I hear this quite often with provo archers - the #1 most popular money making template on UOF."

Again archery is the support skill.. take out archer and replace it with any skill including begging how much gold would you make?

Now take the same skill and add it to archery hiw much would be made?.. no where near the same ammount!

Double check that bud it may not be the full timer but it's not imediate.. not to mention you can not fire until the stupid archery animation stops (which could be the culprit as well?) Fire a shot at a mounted target and chase him if the arrow does not hit your swing timer does not reset. Even if you stop you will never NEVER see 2 arrows in flight..

Here is a perfect way to test this: I assume you have a test area or server?

Create a bow that has .1 second fire.
Now you will notice no matter how fast the weapon is you can not achieve that due to the current mechanics. It was a problem since the original release on osi shards. Also (this needs more testing) but it seams like if the archer moves befor the arrow animation reaches it's target it will be a garwnteed miss (I could be wrong here)

Until the animation complete no second shot. This is why you need to stutter step as an archer and have difficulties. Now we just need to balance it out or fix the mechainc.

I would love for the debs then to create an archer and show the population or just somone like me how to 1v1 in pvp. You get the archer grab anode as a melee or caster I'm willing to bet on an equal skilled aponent the archer has <5% success rate.

It's your guys server fix it or don't I get it, and it's free so I don't need to keep donating I'm just bringing up some concerns.

LSDjay

Grandmaster
Would help with lvling the talisman if archers would also to be able to drink pots.
Maybe, make it so that u will only be able to drink pots with a slayer bow, who uses that in pvp archery right ?

Dont wanna disturb the balanced pvp scene here right, this place reminds me so much of
Ultima Online Renaissance dont wanna mess that up.

halygon

Grandmaster
"Actually I hear this quite often with provo archers - the #1 most popular money making template on UOF."

Again archery is the support skill.. take out archer and replace it with any skill including begging how much gold would you make?

Now take the same skill and add it to archery hiw much would be made?.. no where near the same ammount!

Double check that bud it may not be the full timer but it's not imediate.. not to mention you can not fire until the stupid archery animation stops (which could be the culprit as well?) Fire a shot at a mounted target and chase him if the arrow does not hit your swing timer does not reset. Even if you stop you will never NEVER see 2 arrows in flight..

Now you will notice no matter how fast the weapon is you can not achieve that due to the current mechanics. It was a problem since the original release on osi shards. Also (this needs more testing) but it seams like if the archer moves befor the arrow animation reaches it's target it will be a garwnteed miss (I could be wrong here)

Until the animation complete no second shot. This is why you need to stutter step as an archer and have difficulties. Now we just need to balance it out or fix the mechainc.

I would love for the debs then to create an archer and show the population or just somone like me how to 1v1 in pvp. You get the archer grab anode as a melee or caster I'm willing to bet on an equal skilled aponent the archer has <5% success rate.

It's your guys server fix it or don't I get it, and it's free so I don't need to keep donating I'm just bringing up some concerns.
My point is archery is definately not a support skill for pvm. It is a high damage dealing, safe from harm, proven skill that nets you lots of $$ with the support of provo.

You will need to ask one of the CoM guys if they have a video of their shenanigans recently with their 4-5 man archery squad if you want to see how to pvp with one.

Messremb

Grandmaster

archery is not a solo pvp skill! It its great in group combat, pvm, and stealth pking, buy it us lack luster in solo pvp. This is for 2 reasons IMO

1. its great in so many other areas why sits it need to be great in all (other classes all have areas they are not as good for)

2. If you buff archers got solo pvp, they will be op in group pvp (pretty much already are op on groups)

As to a few of your points, your swing timer does not reset when you move, you simply must pause for .25 seconds (I think that's all never timed it)

Also bows are slow, they deal high damage at range with no mana cost, they should be slow.

And your initial argument makes 0 sense sorry.

Provo archer is second best farming template!

Young Star

Grandmaster
Most pvp with an archer that I can recall was usually paired with a melee or even magery. It would be a first strike or kill shot move 1v1 or with a group you just sync shots with mages or fellow archers.

I would like to see quivers expanded to more than just an expensive dono item.

Streets

Grandmaster
Like man 4 or 5 pot squad, 4 or 5 mage squad, 4 or 5 tamer squad 4 or 5 anything is gonna do damage

Beat that dead horse like you mean it

wreckognize

Grandmaster
well i don't personally see the harm in allowing archers to drink every potion except purple. I can see that being balanced.

I also think another talisman for archers would be sweet with it's own relics. can't hurt. maybe incorporate some of the OP's ideas for diff woods into some new relics that benefit archers only, or like poison arrows i dunno. u know how dem relics be pvm only

wreckognize

Grandmaster
how about this @halygon - what if we made it so that if a player has 100.0 Alchemy, then they can drink potions except purples while equipped with a bow??

I can see this being a bit more balanced, in this case, archers can quaff potions while equipped with a bow, and also it makes archery viable for endless chases if they can then unequip the bow and chuck purples. thoughts??

Streets

Grandmaster
Would have though 100 fletching more sense but which ever or neither there will be a server out there that archery is balanced. I mean we see so many archer pvp templates now right RIGHT? smh

*whack*

wreckognize

Grandmaster
many ppl do use archers for everything, and some of your ideas are truly overpowering. it's less of a custom server and more of a UOR based server tbh. They try to keep the PvP UOR then customize the PvM as much as possible.

But there's room here for testing new ideas, like throwing purple pots while equipped with 2 handers etc. There's just not room for adding stun to a ranged weapon hehe. We've heard a ton of people who want poisoned arrows tho, so I'd love to see it hit the PvM scene soon

Young Star

Grandmaster
From what I have seen on this server every melee template has some support skill like alchy or poison. Even without the actual skill it seems like every good pvp melee toon is chucking pots. I really don't remember that being a part of UO:R. I don't know if that is a mechanics thing, a client assistant side effect, or simply from not having been discovered yet as a strong pvp tactic.

I vaguely recall OSI tweaking the shooting mechanics for archery to improve them. I believe that was mostly brought on by all the swing speed booster jewelry and other artifacts. I think 2 of the points the OP brought up were addressed in their fixes, only 1 arrow in flight and shooting animation effecting the shooting speed.

LSDjay

Grandmaster
many ppl do use archers for everything, and some of your ideas are truly overpowering. it's less of a custom server and more of a UOR based server tbh. They try to keep the PvP UOR then customize the PvM as much as possible.
yeah you know much about uor pvp it seems, according from that post .