A new Thief need advise

Sseany4209

Grandmaster
I been seeing theifs using the quick steal bank item method... is this possible??? due to the fraction of a second the npc calls guards for you to steal deposit the item in bank???
idk if its true but i was at brit bank theif walked up to a guy he wanted to steal from called his bank stole an item. idk if he banked it but yeah just curious

Dellan

Grandmaster
make sense, sense how gm stealing doesnt make you 100%

Depends on many factors...

random steal or targeted?
weight of stolen item,
and most importantly, number of eyes around! Less people in 8x8 area, less chance to get spotted.
Also, luck ;)

Sseany4209

Grandmaster
Depends on many factors...

random steal or targeted?
weight of stolen item,
and most importantly, number of eyes around! Less people in 8x8 area, less chance to get spotted.
Also, luck ;)
yeah true, but was curious can you get blessed items that are in a bag??

Keltonator

Grandmaster
Yes, as long as the bag is within the weight limit in stones that you are able to steal based on your skill level.

I mean.. Noooo.... It's totally safe to carry 100k checks in bags. Give me a shout when you're thinking about doing that.

Dellan

Grandmaster
Wow, you know I never even thought of a provo/thief. It gets around the whole "can't kill others" shtick concerning the thieves guild. Kind of interesting.

It's funny skill, tho detect is better I'd say.. If you're one leg deep in looter's business like me, then you'll profit more with detect hidden. Also, if you plan to kill people, then ALWAYS in self defense! Never attack someone who is not red or gray to you, provo is also counted as hostile action, have that in mind. But, no one restrains you from luring mobs.. My personal record is six people at once, try to beat that :D

Sseany4209

Grandmaster
Yes, as long as the bag is within the weight limit in stones that you are able to steal based on your skill level.

I mean.. Noooo.... It's totally safe to carry 100k checks in bags. Give me a shout when you're thinking about doing that.
LOL, yeah someone had white sandys in a pouch but i was not gm thief yet so didnt try but man be good steal

SidX

Grandmaster
yeah true, but was curious can you get blessed items that are in a bag??
Any item in a bag is at risk. Since you can steal bags and pouches, you get whatever is inside.

The way it used to be (i.e. prior to 2 weeks ago) is if you stole a pouch with a blessed item inside, then got guard whacked for it, you would keep the blessed item but the pouch dropped to the ground. You kept the blessed item since technically at the instant you died it was in your pack.

But there is a new system in place that I really haven't heard much about.. found out the hard way. If you get guard whacked after a steal in town, everything you stole gets auto-returned to the victim's pack. Super lame if you ask me.

If you're successful with the steal of a pouch + blessed item inside and don't get guard whacked, you should be OK... although I've noticed the system above has a few problems and I've seen items get returned to the victim automatically just by dying in general.. not necessarily from a guard whack.

Also I think when you use Stealing on an item to steal it, your bank box closes, probably to avoid the insta-bank method. I'm 99% sure this is how it is.

FingersFinn

Grandmaster
I've also read about the issues with folks stealing, being successful, then later on dying in another situation makes the previous steal go back to the victim. Yuck. Haven't experienced it myself as I haven't been on in days.

Skreww

Apprentice
I started off as a melee dexor theif, switched to a disarm thief. I found it not quiet as exciting as it sounds. I got way further with my dexer theif. Its always nice to be able to defend yourself and if you can find a way to add poison as well FUN. I had to drop stealth for that adventure. But by far the most profitable thief is the Infiltrator. Back in OSI me and some mates would join a guild. A few dexor thieves and a few mage thieves. Catch people stocking their vendors (while disguised, and untaged) and get them by killing them or simply stealing. As stated above there are many varietys of thieves. Its how you play the game.

Vince[Tharakus]

Grandmaster
One thing I've been wondering, does dex come into play with the thieving skills?
Almost done with my 6x Tracking, Stealther picking thief. Just gotta finish his lockpicking.
Was wondering cause, he's going to bounce around picking dungeon chests and more mana would be nice.

I got a couple things I do with my thief but I'm completely unconventional. First things first is your template.

I use:
Hiding: 100
Stealth: 80 (enough to never break with no armor)
Detect hidden: 100
Stealing 100
Snooping 100

Rest is optional. I took
Tracking: 100
Magery: 50

First and foremost, you absolutely need an ethereal mount for this build. Your weapon is your stealth. I like to profit off the invasions in town. Avoiding the champ at all cost, I'll walk around stealthed and loot as much gold and magic items I can off monsters because people will be too focused on surviving the invasion, but not me because I'm always hidden. I like to have a packhorse, alt, or a near by or a hidden box that I can stash all the gold in. The next thing you need to look for is dead people. Stealth up to their body, mount your horse, click the body to open it, rehide, and then pick what you can take the fastest. I like to take bags of regs or any high end weapons I see. The second you take anything the game begins because you'll be a grey in the middle of a bunch of blues but they'll all be busy. So at this point you need to focus on your escape. If you pull off a hide anywhere, dismount and stealth to safety. This is by far the best way to be profitable however there isn't always an invasion going on. Doing this for brit invasion yesterday I managed to look 2k of each reg, 25k, and a bunch of magic weapons. The weaker magic weapons sell good at vendors.

My absolute favorite part of the invasions is when its over because this is where I'm most likely to get vanq weapons and this is the same strat I use to pick off random people at banks. The most important part of this is target acquisition. First, find someone that has a weapon you want. The lighter then better because you'll be less likely to be guard whacked. Bows are very popular and easy to take. Once you find a weapon you'll want to snoop their bags and look for a spellbook/ruin book and see if they have enough magery to recall. If they do then you have a perfect target. At this point I'll put that person on tracking so I can hunt them. If they run off, you want to be able to find them. A lot of these guys will hide. Even though you'll be GM detect hidden you don't want to use it. Don't alert them of your presence because your stealth is still your weapon here.

Now time for some macro control (you can do this without razor). You want to set the weapon as your last target. I usually use my newbie dagger. You want to make sure you're close because you're going to wait for them to recall. When they recall, the weapon goes into their pack and you'll have about 2 second window to act. The second you read "Kal Ort Por" you execute your steal last target macro. They will be stuck in their recall macro and be completely defenseless and most likely will never realize what happened.

Also, just for fun and practice, I like to target reds. These are people that will absolutely kill you if they find you and they are my favorite people to mess with. Using stealth I'll sneak up next to them (even if they are in a group) and pop a few explosion packs. They'll freak out and try to reveal you. This is a game to you but to them if they don't find you they can lose a fight so they'll spend a lot of time trying to hunt you down. using stealth you should be able to get in and out before that happens and if you die, who cares, you're a thief. I like to also put them on tracking so they can't ever evade me, and if they try and hide I'll pop them with my detect hidden. If you can manage to steal regs or bandaids from them and get away they'll get paranoid because you control the situation. The other way to use reds is dungeon hop as a thief. I like destard because the mobs are a big deal in there. Follow the reds and loot bodies they leave behind. Use your detect hidden to get reds and blues killed alike because the more dead bodies there are, the more you profit and don't forget that a hidden pouch behind a wall is a lot harder to find than a packhorse for your remote hording options.

Stay profitable my friend.

King Dingaling

Grandmaster
ive always wondered if dex is a factor on the build..?

my template is
gm hiding
gm steal
gm snoop
gm detect
gm tracking
gm stealth
60 magery 40 med...although i will bring stealth to 80 and split up the points

fun build...i play in dungeons a lot and track people..champs are fun too. lot of people always drop their weap to heal or cast, i (with my macro loaded) swoop in the for the steal. run and hide, then after the flag i recall and put my loot up. rinse. repeat

Vince[Tharakus]

Grandmaster
My builds the same, except for detect hidden. I'm thinking of picking it up though.
You use Razor? And what macro you run? I'm trying to build a nice macro for it.

Vince[Tharakus]

Grandmaster
Now time for some macro control (you can do this without razor). You want to set the weapon as your last target. I usually use my newbie dagger. You want to make sure you're close because you're going to wait for them to recall. When they recall, the weapon goes into their pack and you'll have about 2 second window to act. The second you read "Kal Ort Por" you execute your steal last target macro. They will be stuck in their recall macro and be completely defenseless and most likely will never realize what happened.

How you using your Noob dagger for "set last target? I'm thinking same way I do? dbl click dagger, then click weapon in victims hand/pack....

King Dingaling

Grandmaster
the way i do it is hit steal and target the weapon in their hand..it will not reveal you because you cant actually steal it when its in their hand. then stealth around them and when i see that recall pop up....hit steal last target hotkey.

i dont use any other macros actually...i just keep my skills list open and manually click when i need to track or detect somebody. i really dont need macros for those. but i should set some up, such as dismount

SidX

Grandmaster
One thing I've been wondering, does dex come into play with the thieving skills?
Almost done with my 6x Tracking, Stealther picking thief. Just gotta finish his lockpicking.
Was wondering cause, he's going to bounce around picking dungeon chests and more mana would be nice.

I don't think Dex has no effect here whatsoever on thieving. I realized this and dropped mine all the way down to 25, then raised by Int to 100 for recalling back and forth to rare spawns.

With 25 dex I have absolutely no issue stealing anything or getting away (no dex loss while running unless you run through people).