1791 Liches killed: April MotM stats

Silencio

Novice
I'm relatively new to the server and hadn't really tried the whole MotM thing until last month. In the first few days of farming April's MotM of liches, I got two relics (Quench and Bloody Talons), 4 yards of lich cloth and a spellbook. I can only estimate the number of liches I killed during that period, but I'd put it at around 600-800. Given my early success, I decided I'd spend the rest of my UO time in April farming liches into oblivion and get rich off the dozen relics I was sure to find. I started tracking my stats as well. Here are the drops that I got once I started recording:

Liches killed: 1791
Number of relics: ZERO. NADA. ZILCH
Spellbooks: 2
Yards of cloth: 4
Title scrolls: 2
Skill scrolls: 104, including 2 animal taming

This is the distribution of skill scrolls that dropped:
Hiding 9
Alchemy 6
Tinkering 6
Parry 6
Fishing 5
Healing 5
Peacemaking 5
Archery 5
Magic Resist 4
Fencing 4
Inscription 4
Fletching 4
Stealing 4
Anatomy 3
Lockpicking 3
Mining 3
Swords 3
Evaluating Intel 3
Macing 3
Tactics 3
Stealth 2
Carpentry 2
Animal Taming 2
Wrestling 2
Lumberjacking 2
Tailoring 2
Magery 2
Discord 1
Poisoning 1

The odds of receiving lich MotM drops based off my stats are the following:
Relic: ?
Spellbook: 1 in 895
Yard of cloth: 1 in 448
Title scroll: 1 in 895
Skill scroll : 1 in 17
Animal taming SS: 1 in 448

The odds of getting a "big" drop (which includes animal taming SS but does NOT include "The Crier" title scroll because of how cheap they are) are about .44%.

Now for some other interesting facts:
My first MotM drop didn't come until lich number 767, which dropped a cloth. Prior to that, it was just a slog of common skill scrolls and nothing else. This was pretty disheartening considering before I started recording my stats, I found two relics, 4 yards of cloth and a spellbook with a similar time investment.

I killed a total of 97 lich paragons. 10 of them dropped chests, which gives a 1 in 10 odds of getting a paragon chest from a lich paragon. I only found one title scroll off a lich I killed. The other one was just sitting on an unlooted lich that I happened to walk by.

Hardly anyone loots gems, so I looted all gems that I came across, including from liches killed by other people. I collected enough gems to sell for about 550k gold.

PK's attempted to kill me 9 times and were successful in killing me times. I was only dry looted one time, but I was res killed once as well.

In conclusion, I'm unsure as to whether I was extremely lucky early on with my MotM drops or extremely unlucky once I started recording, but something tells me that I was just extremely lucky early on. I would love to know if the drop rates are the same across other MotM months, or if they vary depending on how many spawns there are. I probably killed 200-300 rats in March and got 2 spellbooks, 4 yards of cloth and an animal taming scroll. But again, maybe I was lucky there. I've attached a picture of my stats page so you can get a feel of just how damn many liches I killed.

Attachments

• stats.jpg
    stats.jpg
    804.5 KB · Views: 33

hiroshima

Master
Crazy how one guildmember found TWO relics off lichs in ONE day!!!! Leech Relic and Quicksilver Relic...

Note: One leech relic was found in a dead lich that wasnt looted

Silencio

Novice
Crazy how one guildmember found TWO relics off lichs in ONE day!!!! Leech Relic and Quicksilver Relic...

Wow, and here I was feeling lucky that I found two within a few days of each other lol.

Yu the Sorceress

Apprentice
Thanks for the information. You didn't post how much money you made off the liches gold. I am curious about that as well. I would assume you probably made more from the gold looted and items sold than any of the drops besides the relics?

Silencio

Novice
Thanks for the information. You didn't post how much money you made off the liches gold. I am curious about that as well. I would assume you probably made more from the gold looted and items sold than any of the drops besides the relics?

The gold looted was hard to keep track of. It all goes into my bank, and then I'm killing other mobs at the same time, and then also buying things... But with that said, I just killed 10 liches and got an average gold of 353 per lich. I also just killed one lich paragon, which gave 1400 gold. So using those rough numbers, I looted about 734k in gold.

Had I not gotten those two relics, I think I would have been far better off just farming higher-end mobs.

Ludwig

Grandmaster

I found Shadow and Focus about 8 hours apart during the double drop weekend with ettins. It happens. You always wonder if the guy who killed the other motm a few feet away got the relic cause you chose the wrong mob....

Killed a lot of liches the last week of April but just ended up with 2 cloth and a spellbook. I usually nab at least one taming SS during motm. Got another Focus on the last day or two of lizardmen so it's a game of determination.

Champs, RDAs and dungeon crystals are typically an all or none reward system which is pretty frustrating. I think I've gotten #1 during 3 champs now and didn't see a damn thing any of those times. Even if you don't hit a relic, motm at least keeps you chugging along with cloth drops, SS scrolls and other rares.

Xiulan

Master
I killed hundred of liches last month and got nothing but regular skill scrolls. Not even a cloth. The way the "luck" works here just does not seem random to me. It's very streaky. Some people get three relics in a day and others get zero in two years.

Bromista

Grandmaster
My experiences reflected the OP's. For months and months. Totalled 18k kills +/- 1k before getting a relic would be my best guess, but when I finally got one it was a DS making it that much sweeter.
That was probably a year ago and I have gotten two MotM relics since, in maybe half as many kills...I haven't keep record or anything. Nothing crazy but it certainly has started to average out to a worthwhile drop rate, however clothand book drop rate has fallen off a bit for me :(

Those don't really bring in the big bucks so I suppose I'd rather it be this way.

folo

Neophyte
Killed approx 300-400 liches during April, got a grand total of:

1 recoil relic
1 lich spellbook
2 yards of lich cloth
10+ skill scrolls, 0 of them were taming

StegcO

Grandmaster
I killed infinite number of motm, every time, only shitty skillscroll and shitty cloth.

One day i was pvping in despise, killed an ettin motm, probably the only one i killed in that month and got remedy

Im pretty sure staff do it intentionally to make me rage

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
Honestly do you really think staff is trolling you in game StegcO? Or that they've spent the time to code in some sort of preferential treatment Xiulian? Listen to yourselves... your being silly.. Your letting RNG affect your brains..

Hence the nature of RNG - I've always much preferred a system where you work towards an end goal, versus a system where you keep bashing your head against the wall until you get lucky..

shirtandpantsman

Grandmaster
pretty much all I do is Motm, although I dont play quite as much as I used to. within the last year, year and a half motm drops seemed to have been nerfed

I recall one conversation in discord that sounded like it had been changed so easy mobs like ettins have less of a chance of dropping good stuff compared to harder stuff like balrons (I haven't got shit this month off balrons for the record).

during lich motm I got a lot of skill scrolls, 1 taming ss, and a title scroll.

before this I used to get 1-2 relics a month pretty reliably

I wish [conquests would work again, at least there were some mobs you could use that to track kills with

steve-o

Grandmaster
i usually get 1 relic per month

best motm was earth elly, i could get 1 relic per day more or less

De Medici

Grandmaster
I'm relatively new to the server and hadn't really tried the whole MotM thing until last month. In the first few days of farming April's MotM of liches, I got two relics (Quench and Bloody Talons), 4 yards of lich cloth and a spellbook. I can only estimate the number of liches I killed during that period, but I'd put it at around 600-800. Given my early success, I decided I'd spend the rest of my UO time in April farming liches into oblivion and get rich off the dozen relics I was sure to find. I started tracking my stats as well. Here are the drops that I got once I started recording:

Liches killed: 1791
Number of relics: ZERO. NADA. ZILCH
Spellbooks: 2
Yards of cloth: 4
Title scrolls: 2
Skill scrolls: 104, including 2 animal taming

This is the distribution of skill scrolls that dropped:
Hiding 9
Alchemy 6
Tinkering 6
Parry 6
Fishing 5
Healing 5
Peacemaking 5
Archery 5
Magic Resist 4
Fencing 4
Inscription 4
Fletching 4
Stealing 4
Anatomy 3
Lockpicking 3
Mining 3
Swords 3
Evaluating Intel 3
Macing 3
Tactics 3
Stealth 2
Carpentry 2
Animal Taming 2
Wrestling 2
Lumberjacking 2
Tailoring 2
Magery 2
http://discord.uoforever.com 1
Poisoning 1

The odds of receiving lich MotM drops based off my stats are the following:
Relic: ?
Spellbook: 1 in 895
Yard of cloth: 1 in 448
Title scroll: 1 in 895
Skill scroll : 1 in 17
Animal taming SS: 1 in 448

The odds of getting a "big" drop (which includes animal taming SS but does NOT include "The Crier" title scroll because of how cheap they are) are about .44%.

Now for some other interesting facts:
My first MotM drop didn't come until lich number 767, which dropped a cloth. Prior to that, it was just a slog of common skill scrolls and nothing else. This was pretty disheartening considering before I started recording my stats, I found two relics, 4 yards of cloth and a spellbook with a similar time investment.

I killed a total of 97 lich paragons. 10 of them dropped chests, which gives a 1 in 10 odds of getting a paragon chest from a lich paragon. I only found one title scroll off a lich I killed. The other one was just sitting on an unlooted lich that I happened to walk by.

Hardly anyone loots gems, so I looted all gems that I came across, including from liches killed by other people. I collected enough gems to sell for about 550k gold.

PK's attempted to kill me 9 times and were successful in killing me times. I was only dry looted one time, but I was res killed once as well.

In conclusion, I'm unsure as to whether I was extremely lucky early on with my MotM drops or extremely unlucky once I started recording, but something tells me that I was just extremely lucky early on. I would love to know if the drop rates are the same across other MotM months, or if they vary depending on how many spawns there are. I probably killed 200-300 rats in March and got 2 spellbooks, 4 yards of cloth and an animal taming scroll. But again, maybe I was lucky there. I've attached a picture of my stats page so you can get a feel of just how damn many liches I killed.
The probability to get a taming ss with respect to your data is 1/448=0.22% per lich and not 0.44%. Good post otherwise.

Silencio

Novice
The probability to get a taming ss with respect to your data is 1/448=0.22% per lich and not 0.44%. Good post otherwise.

I think you misread it. I wrote that the probability of a taming ss is 1/448. The .44% figure came from all of the "big" motm drops, which were: 2 spellbooks, 4 yards of cloth and 2 taming ss, which comes out to 8/1791, which is .44%.