0-50 Lockpick

PompousMoose

Neophyte
If you're starting out a character that needs some lockpicking, you don't actually need to use a 2nd character with carpentry + tinkering.

You can simply go to the Mage shop in Britain and lockpick the golden box on the first floor's table. I've gained to 50.1 with 25 DEX (shown 47.0 real) in about 10 minutes.

I've been running around looking for a lockpicking house or someone that sells level 50 tinker'd lockboxes for a few days now. So hopefully I can save someone else some time by posting this.

Edit - Gains have a slowed a bit (and I took some time off to complete 7 level 1 t-maps) but I'm still gaining at 59.8 right now and I've gained the last 2.0 in about 10 minutes.

Final Edit - No more gains at 60 but overall, I can't complain with the returns. It only took about 13 lockpicks too. I'm not sure if that's better or worst.

--

New Edit - 24/08/2015

So I finally got around to working my LP'er again and here are my findings.

I bought 9 GM tinker made lockable boxes with my LP at 60.2. I setup my macro that goes something like this:

Use lockpick
Target Box #1
If sysmsg: "unlocked"
Use keyring
Target Box #1
If sysmsg: "That isn't locked"
Use keyring
Target Box #1

However, I was disappointed when I got a 3rd sysmsg of: "You have no idea how to pick that lock."

So I ended up using my own character that has 78.X tinker with 50.0 carpentry that I just bought from an NPC. I also needed 50 boards to make the 5 boxes.

I reset my macro and I was pleased to fail on the first attempt but I managed to gain a skillpoint from the attempt.

So I continued (it took about 300 lockpicks) until I got to 75.3 (real) skill and 76.9 (shown). Took about 8 hours of macroing.

I've just started on my GM made boxes now and I've gained about 1.8 in about 20 minutes and I'm at 77.1 (real) and 78.5 (shown).

End of New Edit - 24/08/2015

--

Good luck to all you LP'ers out there!

PMoose

Last edited by a moderator:

Kamar

Neophyte
Where did you buy the gym lockable boxes?

I've spent like 15k (and I'm not exactly rich) on boxes from various vendors that are either too easy or too hard to unlock at 79 shown. (I had a gm locked box but a pk killed me and stole it from my corpse.)

PompousMoose

Neophyte
I posted in 'WTB' forum.

Got a reply about 2 days later.

I got a 'set' of GM lockable boxes for 10K. I think I have 12 boxes in total. I don't think you need 12, my macro rolled through 5 of them and I was able to get to 95.0 in about 6 hours of macro'ing in my house.

I don't want to sell them though. I may try and make a lockpicking house if that's still doable.

Last edited by a moderator: