What to do on my first day?

Tarey

Hello all,

First, I would like to introduce myself a bit. I am a new player coming into first-time contact with UO. However, I am an experienced player in many MMORPGs out there, so I am quite familiar with many termiologies and mechanics for video games.

But despite my experience, I found UO to be a very, very, very, although quite old, but very unique gaming experience. Therefore, I require some pointer.

What I would like to ask is.. being a first timer logging into UO, what should I start doing? I read the little intro greetings as I logged in, saying that there is a newbie dungeon south-west of brit bank, should I head there first or are there some preparations needed to be made?

Also, can someone give me a general over view, in layman's term, what are the limits and boundaries of the game features? (eg. maximum class level, transportation types, key items to get at different stage of levels, etc.)

Many thanks and merry christmas.

T

mynameis

Adept
You'll figure things out quick. I'd head to the graveyard and start developing the skill you wish (assuming warrior), skill newbie dungeon. Max stats 225 total, 100 per stat. Skill cap 700 total, 100 per skill. Main transportation I'd say horse, you can add boat or recall/gate/teleport.

Just start playing :)

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
There is so much.. UO is not a game so much as an experience. I know it sounds cheesey, but it's true; if you go in expecting a game out of it, you're in for a rude awakening. The beauty of it lies in the freedom, and therein lies its difficulty: you don't farm level 1 rabbits until you move up to level 3 boars and level 4 skeletons.

I would do the newbie dungeon just to get the basic combat mechanics, Felucca-rules (pushing through enemies, LoS, damage ranges, etc.), skill gain process, and so on. Save up your money, and always, always bank your goods quickly. Thieves can nab your stuff with impunity here, on this server in particular, so anything that isn't bolted to your face or newbied/blessed (unstealable/undroppable - soulbound, to a point) can be lifted easily. The details we can dispense with later.

Outside of town guards, you can be easily killed and looted. You'll need to familiarize yourself with the layout of the land, and some basic survival techniques:

1) Trapped pouches. These are the red pouches you can buy at Provisioners or make by casting Magic Trap on a pouch. When opened, or "popped", it does about 4 damage to you. This is enough to break the freezing ability of the Paralyze spell, which is the bane to newbies who don't have these on hand. I'd recommend about 4-5. Create a macro for saying "[pouch" and then hit that when you get para'd; you'll automatically open or pop one of those pouches so you can continue running.

2) Hiding. At least until you become better at the game, picking up the Hiding skill will help some. It'll give you the means to escape monsters by breaking LOS and hiding to take a breather. This becomes handy when you don't know the capabilities of every monster, and you realize you made an error taking on "a blood elemental" with a non-slayer sword and shield.

3) Runebooks with runes and recall scrolls. Getting a runebook with a few safe locations (bank of a safe town, like Trinsic, Minoc, Vesper, Cove) and a couple of dungeons you like visiting (marked in inconspicuous and safe spots) will go a long way to keeping you from being easily slain. You can put the recall scrolls into the book for safekeeping and easy access (they become "charges" for you to use). I would then create a macro recording you opening up the runebook and using one of the recall spots as a "panic button" when you see red names show up.

4) Magery. Getting a good 50-60 magery will help a lot until you decide to min/max a bit more. It'll help with recalling, using scrolls for mid- to high-circle (level) spells, which will increase your survivability. This is assuming you aren't already a mage (which is expensive to start as since you need reagents to cast spells). It means you can heal and cure without bandages (you likely won't be able to cure for awhile since you need 60 Healing and 60 Anatomy to cure with bandages, and at a low level you'll fail a bunch), as well as cast Magic Reflect which can save you from a red rushing on screen with a spell prepared.

Get your feet wet first. The big things to remember are this:

-Outside of some very rare "rares" (ie, pixel crack house decorations), everything you lose is replaceable.

-Nothing is permanent.

-Being killed and looted in creative and inexplicable ways is a testament to your opponent's ingenuity, and should not be taken personally (it beats being killed by someone who one-shots you "just because they're 50 levels higher").

-Make friends - this is a social game, and there is strength in numbers.

Fair winds and following seas.

Reemer

Master
make a bard ASAP. archery/tactics/anatomy/magery/meditation/music/provoke
you can get the best bang for your buck right off the bat with that build.