This is Not true Classic and being new here I must confess disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malkraven

Grandmaster
Well i think UOF is the biggest free server atm
Love uo played off and on since 98 but still confused onB.O.Ds how to acquire or even what's the point of them. Agree to U.O.F is doing a great job some one please explain to My why bods are bad so i can better understand lol ty

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

-Once you are above 70.1( i think) you can get a BOD evrey 2-6 hrs by selling the guildmaster items( tailoring or smith).
-You get small and large BODs and use the small ones to fill the larger ones or hand them in as a small bod.
-When you hand them in you get rewards based on the difficulty of the Bods ( anything from different hue cloths and Deco items to runic sewing kits/hammers)

ShinPi

Grandmaster
Well i think UOF is the biggest free server atm

-Once you are above 70.1( i think) you can get a BOD evrey 2-6 hrs by selling the guildmaster items( tailoring or smith).
-You get small and large BODs and use the small ones to fill the larger ones or hand them in as a small bod.
-When you hand them in you get rewards based on the difficulty of the Bods ( anything from different hue cloths and Deco items to runic sewing kits/hammers)
Ahhh ok thank you so much i no longer feel like the veteran noob lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
I dont like that BOD system either. The crafting business should be kept more basic encourage simple trades and player interactions.

Gesendet von meinem Nokia 6610 mit Tapatalk
Without BODs crafters have little to trade. How many GM suits and weapons do you roll around with?

I haven't used anything less than power/invuln in.. I dunno'.. 5-6 months? Maybe more, come to think of it. There are no simple trades. With the ease to make a crafter I don't need to buy "simple" or "basic" shit on the market, I can make it myself. It's the grinding element of the business - the BODs - that I'm not willing to do, and so that's where the trading comes in.

Ku'tan

Master
UO peaked population wise in 2005 after AOS. The thing that killed UO was toukno island. Tram Brit/t2a, Fel Brit/t2a, malas, ish, tokuno island. Game immersion died when people stopped playing together
I actually liked the new lands. The thing I hated is trammel and I still believe that ruined uo. With expansions if they didn't have the trammies rule set. At least the people who wanted to not be bugged the just had more area to explore. And less of a chance to be griefed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrexx

Grandmaster
You do hear people say, "Trammel ruined UO", but there is not much evidence to support that statement. I like UO:F ruleset exactly the way it is, I am in no way lobbying for a trammel ruleset. I just like to clear up any misinformation, if any.

eric_azria

Grandmaster
OSI's highest population was after the implementation of trammel.

People who enjoyed what UO was meant to be can say that it killed UO, but if we're talking about raw subscriptions - trammel helped them greatly.

It's part of the reason there will NEVER be another game like UO. Too many carebear crybabies in the world who can't handle risk vs reward.

Wrexx

Grandmaster
If someone could develop a modern day MMO with player housing, a UO style risk vs reward system (I.E gear doesn't take months to obtain, cheap, interchangeable, lootable) you might have the next hottest thing since sliced bread.

limlight

Grandmaster
I say bring back trammel....
And make it have fel rules....
Just call it trammel trolled

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

halygon

Grandmaster
OSI's highest population was after the implementation of trammel.

People who enjoyed what UO was meant to be can say that it killed UO, but if we're talking about raw subscriptions - trammel helped them greatly.

It's part of the reason there will NEVER be another game like UO. Too many carebear crybabies in the world who can't handle risk vs reward.
You are right, population skyrocketed after trammel was introduced. Party due to the extensive marketing being done at that time to promote.

That said trammel also marked the downfall of UO as the updates from there on out were just attempts to bring in more players like trammel did as opposed to making updates that enhanced the game.

Including trammel -a "safe land" - prevented folks from experiencing UO as it was meant to be.

Mathias

Adept
You are right, population skyrocketed after trammel was introduced. Party due to the extensive marketing being done at that time to promote.

That said trammel also marked the downfall of UO as the updates from there on out were just attempts to bring in more players like trammel did as opposed to making updates that enhanced the game.

Including trammel -a "safe land" - prevented folks from experiencing UO as it was meant to be.

I agree 100% with halygon. Sure they saw a small increase, but from Trammel on they abandoned what UO could have been.

UO was the absolute infancy of MMOs (not counting MUDs), and BEING in the infant stage it was, it let us take killing, stealing and griefing to the absolute extreme. Instead of recognizing the potential of what they had and coming up with reasonable solutions through checks/balances, they decided to completely abandon it out of fear/ignorance, AND they did it in a way that was a slap to the face of anyone who liked original UO.

Trammel was not a new land. It offered no new opportunities to explore. It offered nothing new in terms of game features whatsoever. It was literally the path of least resistance taken by a company that was scared pooless of their game dying, and I can sympathize sure. What I can NOT understand is why Trammel is literally an exact copy of Felucca, rendering any and all reasons to go to Felucca completely mute for anyone besides PvPers (and no, increasing drops later did NOTHING to help). WORST DECISION EVER!

There is a reason Trammel is a joke even outside of the UO community. What would happen today if an established MMO released an expac with a "new land mass" that was just an exact copy of the existing map with a new ruleset? I'll tell you what would happen, both laughter and the death of that MMO would happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

halygon

Grandmaster
I agree 100% with halygon. Sure they saw a small increase, but from Trammel on they abandoned what UO could have been.

UO was the absolute infancy of MMOs (not counting MUDs), and BEING in the infant stage it was, it let us take killing, stealing and griefing to the absolute extreme. Instead of recognizing the potential of what they had, they decided to completely abandon it out of fear/ignorance, AND they did it in a way that was a slap to the face of anyone who liked original UO.

Trammel was not a new land. It offered no new opportunities to explore. It offered nothing new in terms of game features whatsoever. It was literally the path of least resistance taken by a company that was scared pooless of their game dying, and I can sympathize sure. What I can NOT understand is why Trammel is literally an exact copy of Felucca, rendering any and all reasons to go to Felucca completely mute for anyone besides PvPers (and no, increasing drops later did NOTHING to help). WORST DECISION EVER!
At the time leading up to trammel, we all thought it would be a completely new area that boasted new housing areas. Well, it had new areas for housing...

oldcrow

Neophyte
UO "as it was meant to be" is a joke of a concept. UO was a business. It was meant to make money. Trammel made them more money. AOS made them more money. Peak subscription rates were after the AOS patch despite the influx of 3d modern MMOs. The classic elements that we celebrate on free servers were not intentions. They were birthed as accidents in design. The design team saw UO as a D&D-like collaborative adventure. They didn't anticipate that some of the worst scum of the internet would plant their roots in this game and call it home for decades.

The idea that trammel was the downfall of UO is also crazy. UO was still fucking awesome for a long, long time after trammel came into play. Half the reason faction battles were so huge was because casuals could play UO in peace in Trammel and then hop back to Felucca when they wanted the mad house action. Anyone who played factions back in the day can remember and attest to the battles composing of hundreds of people staying up all night to defend and capture sigils.

PvP also became more and more difficult and skill-based after trammel. People seem to forget that things like stun punch and explosion pots weren't viable in early UO:R. In the beginning, you could not cast or target spells unless a spellbook was equipped, which meant you could not stun people as a mage. Eventually this was patched. The same thing happened with low level disrupts like magic arrow, harm, and fireball. These were basically useless for a long time until resist rates and distanced-based damage were introduced. Explosions potions were also unusable in pvp until changes were introduced in the Pub16 powerscroll patch, which also removed statloss. The only reason pvper decline happened after powerscrolls was because people had to pay to win. If they had simply introduced new, higher skill caps for free, that exodus probably wouldn't have happened because people would have adapted.

Mathias

Adept
They didn't anticipate that some of the worst scum of the internet would plant their roots in this game and call it home for decades.

Was going to read your entire post, then it got childish and whiny. Not interested, and likely I strongly disagree with just about everything you said. Trammel was an exact duplicate of the existing land mass with a new ruleset, guess that's good enough for you.

And yes calling people "scum" because of what and how they love to play on the internet is both childish and whiny.

Last edited by a moderator:

limlight

Grandmaster
if anything trammel mixed with necromancy ruined uo. Necros made the most challenging thing a breeze.

Trammel was lame..but then they created malas...which was just plain stupid.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

halygon

Grandmaster
UO was a business. It was meant to make money. Trammel made them more money. AOS made them more money./quote]
Of course it's a business, but basing all decisions on money is a crappy way to run a business. This is especially true when said business has a fan base.

The idea that trammel was the downfall of UO is also crazy.
. Actually it's not crazy. This was the first lazy move made. And since it made some money, they continued with lazy money oriented changes/updates until the game we knew became a mess.

Mathias

Adept
Trammel and the ruleset that came with it should have been Ilshenar only and not a stupid duplicate of the map. That would have made 10000000000000x more sense and not pissed off nearly as many people, not to mention it solves the problem of Fel being empty since there wouldn't have been stupid duplicates of every city/area in the game. Duplicating landmass is such a terrible game design concept, which is kind of why it has never been done since.

Status
Not open for further replies.