-Stealing- What are the best templates for a solo thief?

hubcap

Grandmaster
I'm looking to create a thief, but, I'm not really sure where to start......

I want to roll solo, so, the skill selections are key.

What are your thoughts?

Faytality

Staff member
I rather like the disarm thief

Hide
stealth (80) Don't need armor anyway
Magic (20) so you can recall
Snooping
Wrestling
Arms Lore
Stealing (Duh)
I use detect hidden, but you can take a fighting skill so you can steal someone's weapon and beat them with it.

hubcap

Grandmaster
thieves guilds..... is this something I need to come across while playing? (required to PvP steal)

Faytality

Staff member
Yes, once you've reached 60 stealing you can join the thieves guild. Only then can you steal from other players. The guild master is located in Bucs Den. There's a catch though you can't take murder counts or you'll be suspended from the guild until the counts wears off. You can't give counts either but whatever.

hubcap

Grandmaster
What are some good (relatively) safe places to practice stealing? (Still young) but not for much longer.............whats some good advice?

SidX

Grandmaster
What are some good (relatively) safe places to practice stealing? (Still young) but not for much longer.............whats some good advice?
I wrote a guide on how to GM Stealing in about a day http://uoforum.com/threads/stealing-0-gm-an-easy-graphical-razor-macro-guide.39071/. It's super easy. Also I ride solo on a thief stealing at banks, dungeons, stealthing at champs, getting stealable rares, etc.. with this template I have had nothing but success.

100 Stealing
100 Snooping
100 Stealth
100 Hiding
100 Detect Hidden
100 Tracking
100 FREE Points (I suggest either 100 Wrestling or including a mix of some magery and something else so you can gate, etc. (useful at IDOCs to gate back to your house and secure the loot)).

Magery isn't necessary to recall; if you use a runebook, as long as it has charges you will never fail recalling even with 0.0 Magery.

Detect Hidden and Tracking are great for finding people who are farming SSs in dungeons. I have stolen hundreds of SSs thanks to Tracking alone.

Good luck.

hubcap

Grandmaster
thanks for the replies, folks....keep them coming...
SidX (Im also from Jersey, work for Eaton Industries)
Thats exactly the type thief that Im looking to make..............mainly rares and champs....etc....

Why is everyone so ga ga over provo lately? (Back in 98 it was magery and taming.)

SidX

Grandmaster
thanks for the replies, folks....keep them coming...
SidX (Im also from Jersey, work for Eaton Industries)
Thats exactly the type thief that Im looking to make..............mainly rares and champs....etc....

Why is everyone so ga ga over provo lately? (Back in 98 it was magery and taming.)
Eaton in Tinton Falls? I live 5mins from there, small world.

You'll be good for sure, my thief is great for anything (champs, IDOCs, stealing SSs, stealing at banks when bored, etc.).

I see newbies using/Young players provo in dungeons constantly to farm SSs. It's low risk (no armor required and you can use a basic wep) so if you get PKed it really doesn't matter. You can just provo two titan paragons on eachother and pick them each off with a regular bow and reap the rewards.

SidX

Grandmaster
can I buy some stealth skill from NPC to get started? If so, you know where?
The thief trainer is here:

3_Thief_Trainer.jpg

FingersFinn

Grandmaster
I rather like the disarm thief

Hide
stealth (80) Don't need armor anyway
Magic (20) so you can recall
Snooping
Wrestling
Arms Lore
Stealing (Duh)
I use detect hidden, but you can take a fighting skill so you can steal someone's weapon and beat them with it.
hide/steal/snoop/wrestling GM
stealth/magery/arms 80
med 60

100/60/65

This is what works for me :)

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Tapatalk

Bunnky

Grandmaster
Stealth/Wrestle 80/20
Hide GM
Snooping GM
Stealing GM
Magery GM
Meditation GM
Resist GM
Tracking 0. Always track. If you use steam, set this macro up to a hotkey:
useskill 'Tracking'
waitforgump 0xb16e7d71 15000
replygump 0xb16e7d71 4

Always naked, no loot, except runebooks and an ethy.

I'll bring regs if I want to roll incognito, cast demons, heal, emergency invis, etc. in dungeons. This is a dungeon griefer thief template more than anything. I rarely pvp because of no eval, unless it's against crafters *wink* and with no armor, you have to rely on magic resist, good hiding, smart tactics, and quick reflexes, especially against mellee templates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bunnky

Grandmaster
why tracking 0? what purpose does tht serve?
To find provo hiders. If you see 2 mobs fighting, but noone around, fire up that tracking and look for them. I don't know the exact success rate, but it only takes at most 3 tries to find someone with 0 points.