Regular (non meta) tamer worth it?

folo

Neophyte
Currently rolling with a provo archer as my main pvm toon. Mainly farming in overland spots, dungeon crawling, tmapping... still a bit in the exploration phase on this shard. Haven't gotten into champs, bosses and RDAs yet. Will mostly play solo.

Is it worth the time and increased hassle with pets to go for a regular tamer? Regular as in no metas, 100 taming and a drag/WW combo or whatever combo is the best. What performance increase can I expect in comparison to a provo archer for the above activities?

Any input is welcome. Thanks!

StegcO

Grandmaster
Tamer is a cool template to play, even if provo archer can make lot oof money too.

Try champ and boss!

Dimok

Master
You can do pretty well with a DB/WW combo. My meta drag is lvl 5 but with no relics, and the db/ww combo beats it in gph on most mobs. Once I hit lvl 6 and can afford some relics, I hope that changes.

King Dingaling

Grandmaster
i ran it for a while but very few people stop at gm. even for death beetle u need 110 (115 for decent control).

taming is addictive...so i can tell u a wyrm and dragon are decent for gm taming but i doubt u will stop there

jirro

Novice
The answer is yes - I did that. I stopped at 100 to farm a bunch, and started w/ a provo archer like you. It doesn't matter if you end up taking it higher later - the path is the same whether or go higher or not :)

The good news is that there are lots of good break points where you can stop your tamer and just stay - level 6 meta with 3 relics is amazing, level 7 isn't a hard requirement, etc

I would consider if you like playing a tamer though before you invest in it. The other meta chars are just as compelling, though, in some ways, comparably expensive (taming is not an order of magnitude more expensive than a zerker/metamage/rogue).

I leveled my tamer and was so excited the entire way thinking it would be easy street when I was done. Little did I know I was already making way more gph on my treasure hunter than I ever could on my tamer. But that's just my experience, I'm sure others make way more on a tamer than they ever would tmapping.