Meta Mage discovery

Spatchel

Master
I am sure everyone knows this already but this is new and confusing to me.

I kept track of exp gain for dozens of Ogre Lords killed and found this odd tidbit, you gain more exp on a disabled talisman then not:
(disabled talisman means you unequip and re-equip so you do not reap the benefits but still gain exp)

Avg Exp with equipped but disabled talisman - 310

Avg Exp of level 5 talisman not disabled - 251

Why are we punished for doing more damage?

Fastbucks

Novice
disabled talisman means you unequip and re-equip so you do not reap the benefits but still gain exp

I don't understand... could you explain how you disable the tali if its equiped? Do you mean you unequip right before you kill the target?

Spatchel

Master
If you die or manually remove the talisman, upon equipping it again it has a 15 minute cooldown before it becomes fully active. Active meaning damage bonus and relics start working again.

During the inactive portion you get more exp gain off mobs then when its active.

parsnip

Grandmaster
Do you have any relics applied? Perhaps the damage from the relics is not being factored into the XP gain.

FWIW At level 1, with talisman active but no relics applied, I just gained 334 XP from an OL and 333 XP from an arctic OL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spatchel

Master
I have shadow and focus. Focus is the only one that gives 7% every 1 minute. This is small and only 3-7 damage every one minute, it may proc twice for one OL.

parsnip

Grandmaster
I have shadow and focus. Focus is the only one that gives 7% every 1 minute. This is small and only 3-7 damage every one minute, it may proc twice for one OL.

Fairly certain the reduction in XP will be as a result of those relics. This is true for the other talisman as well. For example, Defense tali doesn't get XP for Recoil damage.

I would say all talisman should get equal treatment but meta mage could do with some love. It is by far the slowest to level and little XP reductions don't help... Then again, we do have the leisure of standing at range! Tricky to balance it all :confused: