Mac Options?

BleedScarlet

Hey all, was wondering what options, If any, I have to play via a Mac Book Pro? I played for many years on official servers, but as a graphic designer I have not owned a PC for a few years.

I miss the good days of UO and feel like UO FOrever can help me with that :)

Thanks in advance.

Lithium149

Grandmaster
Hey there!

I play on a 2012~ Mac Mini, which previously I only used for a media server. After getting hooked back into nostalgic games such as UO I had to do the following;

1). Purchase a copy of Windows(Winblows.)

2). Install Boot Camp

3). Boot Camp should have all the proper drivers for your setup if you installed the proper version of Bootcamp to not have to fuck with any Winblows Drivers

4). This allows you to open two separate operating systems, you can boot between Mac and or Windows whenever you choose with a few simple clicks followed by an automatic restart when you choose to change OS, first time you boot up you may have a short while install and run through a setup to allocate a certain amount of space to your C:/ drive etc, once through all the set up just install any program as you would normally on a windows computer.

Also depending on what type of Windows you get or how much downloading you intend to do since you now are on Windows I suggest looking into a free anti virus as an extra precaution.

^_^

Grandmaster
www.uoguide.com/Ultima_Online_on_a_Mac

But more detailed information with guides you could get in google - first top10 links :)

dmp1991

I've tried to play UOForever on Wine (latest dev build) on El Capitan OS X. The UOFLauncher starts up just fine, but displays an empty content frame with a white background, and then crashes every time I try to click 'Install Client'. Other UO clients (UO:R, EA's classic client, etc.) work fine under Wine. As does Razor IME. The difference appears to be that UOForever built its launcher on newer technologies like DotNet 4.5.2, and Wine isn't handling it well. Oh, you can install DotNot 4.5.2, VCRedist 2010, VCRedist2013, et al -- all which the UOFLauncher check for and require -- just fine on Wine. In fact, the DotNotVerifier passes for 4.5.2 with 100% result. But something about UOFLauncher's code just won't work. By way of comparison, you only need DotNet2, VCRun6, corefonts, and fontfix via winetricks for the other clients and Razor.

Unfortunately if you try to connect to UOForever with the UO:R client, it crashes as soon as you enter combat. I managed to track this down a bit from stacktrace dumps, and if you set mtzqt32 and quartz dlls to native, you can enter combat. But then leaving any city crashes the client with not even a stack trace, so I can't debug further. I suspect UOForever has a custom built client to deal with some of the features they've added on the server, but that's just a guess. Either way, it crashes with no useful debugging info, so I can't make any further progress on getting it to work.

What's the chance of UOForever just publishing the client download location so we can skip the launcher? That way we wouldn't need DotNet452, et al, and could just install and run the client ourselves.

GreedMongrel

Apprentice
I run on wine and it's actually faster and smoother (uosteam) than Windows

I've reinstalled using different methods. The best results I've gotten have been downloading the official classic client and then patching it with the uoflauncher. There are quite a few dependencies in wine I will list them when I have access to my Mac if still needed.

I've reinstalled using different methods. The best results I've gotten have been downloading the official classic client and then patching it with the uoflauncher. There are quite a few dependencies in wine I will list them when I have access to my Mac if still needed.
Can you tell me how you do it? I have it on bootcamp on windows but i mostly work on mac so i would love to have it on this side too.

krios

Apprentice

I could definitely use your help bro. I have a brand new Macbook Pro but when I start steam I get the virtual memory error...

When I boot in from the UOR version I crash around custom housing.