"Jack of all trades" build?

So it's been a looong time since I've played UO and I am quite new here. In browsing the forum I see there are many standard 7xGM builds.

My question is, are there any viable non-GM builds where you have have adequate skill level (but below GM) in more than 7 areas? Maybe I have ADD but I just enjoy being able to do a bit of a lot of different things reasonably well...but I don't want to be a total gimp either.

I know I could create multiple characters but that has never been my style. I like to have a primary and stick with it.

VFingerDiscount

Grandmaster
I can handle three at most but usually one gets all the attention for long periods of time... what are your goals with the character? That will ultimately be the deciding factor in what is needed

Sent from Baja 1997

Bunnky

Grandmaster
I wrangled with this for a while before I decided to do this :

1 character: (all skills gmed)
Blacksmith, tailoring, tinkering, carpentry, inscription, magery (for recalling and inscription), music (for gm instruments)

2nd character:
Alchemy, Mining, lumberjack, fishing, hiding, magery (for recall mining and help with fishing MIBS), Lockpicking.

With these I can make everything in game at GM level. I never buy anything lol.

The only skill I miss out on its cartography, and fletching, but eventually I made an archer/treasure hunter that has both.

I'm sure you already knew this, but I figured I'd tell ya what I did, since I pondered over this myself. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I do know with 60ish skill you can collect some bods, but I'm not to much of a BOD guy to explain in detail. Maybe someone else could.

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using Tapatalk

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
So it's been a looong time since I've played UO and I am quite new here. In browsing the forum I see there are many standard 7xGM builds.

My question is, are there any viable non-GM builds where you have have adequate skill level (but below GM) in more than 7 areas? Maybe I have ADD but I just enjoy being able to do a bit of a lot of different things reasonably well...but I don't want to be a total gimp either.

I know I could create multiple characters but that has never been my style. I like to have a primary and stick with it.
For the last 7-8 years I've been playing, as my main, the following general build:

GM Swords (just switched to Maces with last patch), Archery, Resist
90 Wrestling, Anatomy, Healing
80-90 Tactics
Rest in Magery

I like having a character that throws fastballs. Most people don't expect a warrior to drop a stun and a wall in a group, fight efficiently in close quarters (or at least survive well enough), engage at range and have resist for the rare occasion it kicks in. Not to mention a little cross-healing and support skills are force multipliers in their own right for warriors.

I fight mostly in groups; since the first server switch in early 2013 I haven't had the connection to reliably run or chase (and chase, and chase, and chase, and chase...) otherwise. On this server, this build has little killing power outside of decent rolls; on other servers you can easily out-skill and out-think your opponent with it because you can throw so much at them, making it less "one trick pony" and a grab bag of choices. If you have the connection speed, though, you can still use a skill like maces to drain them with attrition; I unfortunately can't "stick" well enough with my lag so I usually resort to support with it and whip out a bludgeon in CQC.

I miss my swords for the variety of weapons (maces are a bit dull, no pun intended), but it at least gives you some perspective on options. Stealth here is really useful, too, like AoS stealth, and on AoS production I had Hiding/Stealth (instead of Stealth) with a similar build. Granted, on AoS, you could get by without Resist due to the armor changes, but nevertheless "jack of all trades" builds are out there. It requires a lot more dedication to the skillset, though, and it has to feel "natural". If you're looking for efficiency it won't work, and a lot of times utilizing all those skills will only keep you alive, not necessarily lethal. However, so long as your connection is all right and won't fail you when switching between abilities, you can use the skills to put the pain on anybody through player skill and maneuvering rather than gimmicks.