how do i view weapon properties?

Kraden

Grandmaster
What do you mean exactly? Left click the weapon/armor and it will say if its exceptional and if it has any properties, such as Invulnerability, Hardening, Vanq, Power, Force, etc. All items have a Hp level too which you need arms lore to guesstimate?

ultimanoob

Neophyte
Thanks for the reply. If anyone would not mind, may i have a recommendation then for proper reading material for the basics in respect to what this server's episode/patch/version offers? Im not exactly sure what should i search on google in that regard. Im not exactly sure if i followed Kraden's instruction properly, because for a newbie standpoint, the only way i knew how to check out items based on tutorial was left clicking on bag, so i was expecting some extra chat log would appear beside the name of the item showing. Could someone please elaborate? Thanks

Kraden

Grandmaster
Thanks for the reply. If anyone would not mind, may i have a recommendation then for proper reading material for the basics in respect to what this server's episode/patch/version offers? Im not exactly sure what should i search on google in that regard. Im not exactly sure if i followed Kraden's instruction properly, because for a newbie standpoint, the only way i knew how to check out items based on tutorial was left clicking on bag, so i was expecting some extra chat log would appear beside the name of the item showing. Could someone please elaborate? Thanks

On my phone now so ill link u some stuff if no one else does when i get on my computer. Alot of items especially starter ones donthave any properties and when cliked will just display a name

halygon

Grandmaster
When it comes to this age (UO: Renaissance / Pre-UO:Age of Shadows / Post t2a -minus the new lands) things are usually quite simple compared to the overly complicated mechanics later introduced. The only "magic" around is from magery. There is not any samurai, ninja, paladin, necromancer, gargoyle, or spellweaving.

Items are quite simple also, for weapons you have five traits they can have. They may have none of these or all four:
  • Slayer Type (Type of monster they do double damage against)
  • Exceptional (Only possible if it is crafted)
  • Durability (Durable, Massive, indestructible, etc..)
  • Damage enhancement (Ruin, Might, Force, Power, Vanquishing)
  • Accuracy Enhancment (Accurate, Exceedingly Accurate, Surpassingly Accurate, etc)
So the best weapon you could have would look like this when clicked upon:
  • a XXXXXX [Exceptional] (Some Slayer type, Indestructable, Vanquishing, Supremely Accurate)
**where XXXXXX is the type of weapon

Armor is pretty much the same, except it does not have a damage enhancement property:
  • Slayer Type (Type of monster the armor does extra damage reducing for)
  • Exceptional (Only possible if it is crafted)
  • Durability (Durable, Massive, Indestructible, etc...)
  • Armor Enhancement (Fortification, Invulnerable, etc)
So the best armor you could have would look like this when clicked upon:
  • a XXXXXXX [Exceptional](Some Slayer Type, Indestructable, Invulnerability)
**where XXXXXXX is the type of armor

There really aren't any other type of item properties except for newbie and blessed.

Newbie - Not a seen property, but if an item is newbied then it will stay with you even after you die. If you turn red, it will stay on your corpse like any other item. It is kinda a blessed item for innocent players.

Blessed - the item will say [Blessed]. The item can never be lost during death or stolen (in most cases). This stays with you regardless of your innocent or murderer status.

Enjoy!

ultimanoob

Neophyte
On my phone now so ill link u some stuff if no one else does when i get on my computer. Alot of items especially starter ones donthave any properties and when cliked will just display a name

may i know if i could stll look forward to this?

Bromista

Grandmaster
The above has general items covered, but there a several little quarks and modern conveniences to this server that weren't originally in UO:R like summoning balls for pets. Most of the newer stuff is purely cosmetic. There is no guide for these things, you'll jist to piece it together over time.

jeffe

Master
I think what you need to understand ultimanoob, like Bromista said, is that UOF is unlike EA's UO of today. In UOF you aren't hunting for that uber-sword or armor that will allow you to end-game. I would argue that end-game in UOF is more a kin to collecting decorative items or gold to buy decorative items.

First off using the "Arms Lore" skill on an item will allow you see an items durability (HP/MAXHP) and some other general information about the item.

So knowing that we are roughly in a 2001 era game we can use the "way back machine" and "Stratics" the largest resource that UO had at the time to find out some of the information you want to know.

Armor: https://web.archive.org/web/20010407061720/http://uo.stratics.com/armor.shtml
Weapons: https://web.archive.org/web/20010306023556/http://uo.stratics.com/arms.shtml
And the Full Site (use the the side bar on the left to navigate different entries): https://web.archive.org/web/20010721225156/http://uo.stratics.com/

I can't at all guarantee that all these numbers are entirely correct (AND THERE ARE MANY THINGS THAT ARE DIFFERENT when you step away from just item properties), as we are on a server that is "based" on this era, but they are certainly as close to a full item properties list (that is easily accessible) that you are going to find.

One quick note: UO calculated its "DPS" as "DOT" or "Damage Over Tick" The rate at which you can swing exceeds more than one per second with certain weapons. How fast you can swing a weapon depends on your STAMINA not just your base DEX. So if you have 50/100 STAM/DEX you are potentially swinging half as fast as you could. Perhaps someone can post that formula.

Now let's break down what Halygon said a bit more my comments are bolded:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Items are quite simple also, for weapons you have five traits they can have. They may have none of these or all four:
  • Slayer Type (Type of monster they do double damage against) //Fairly Self-Explanatory -- more on monster types can be found in the UOF wiki
  • Exceptional (Only possible if it is crafted) //Your standard UO weapon nice damage just slightly better than a "Might" magic weapon I believe it giving it a 35% bonus to the standard weapon damage (I believe it helps an items durability as well)
  • Durability (Durable, Massive, indestructible, etc..) //This is the "HP" of the item As far as Durability loss goes I am unsure of these values though I imagine they can be found by searching the forums as well
  • Damage enhancement (Ruin, Might, Force, Power, Vanquishing) //Values are a set damage addition +1 +3 +5 +7 +9 respectively
  • Accuracy Enhancment (Accurate, Exceedingly Accurate, Surpassingly Accurate, etc) //For Fencing, Macing, and Sword weapons this increases your tactics (which increase your damage bonus <- Yah its strange it says accuracy and does more damage, but... that's how it has always been) For Bows and Archery it increases your Archery skill allowing for a better chance to hit.
So the best weapon you could have would look like this when clicked upon:
  • a XXXXXX [Exceptional] (Some Slayer type, Indestructable, Vanquishing, Supremely Accurate) //This item could only be made with a Runic Hammer in the Crafting Area by a player. Alternatively, this could drop off a monster w.o the exceptional tag on the item.
//One handed sword and fencing weapons can be poisoned (the poisoning skill gives a bonus to HOW OFTEN you hit a poison strike). Two Handed Macing Sword and Fencing weapons will hit their respective "special attacks" with at least 80 in anatomy and more often as you raise above 80. GM Anat also gives a % damage bonus

If you are just starting out and I assume you are find yourself an exceptional weapon and start whacking stuff.

Armor is pretty much the same, except it does not have a damage enhancement property:
  • Slayer Type (Type of monster the armor does extra damage reducing for) //This is a new addition to UOF and much more info than I could provide can be found by searching the forums
  • Exceptional (Only possible if it is crafted) //Gives a % AR bonus to each item *this may or may not a point of AR AND!!! for player crafted armor different kind of ore and leather will increase the AR value again by % (I believe it helps an items durability as well)
  • Durability (Durable, Massive, Indestructible, etc...) //Same as a weapons durability
  • Armor Enhancement (Fortification, Invulnerable, etc) //These give a direct +1/+3/+5/+7/+9 to each piece of armors AR (honestly, I grabbed those values out of the sky, more accurate info can be found by searching the forums I am tired of searching for values and I will explain why later)
So the best armor you could have would look like this when clicked upon:
  • a XXXXXXX [Exceptional](Some Slayer Type, Indestructable, Invulnerability) //Same caveats as with weapons
**where XXXXXXX is the type of armor

//And then there is the Parrying Skill that people rarely use so i'll let you search for how that affects your AR

There really aren't any other type of item properties except for newbie and blessed.

Newbie - Not a seen property, but if an item is newbied then it will stay with you even after you die. If you turn red, it will stay on your corpse like any other item. It is kinda a blessed item for innocent players. //You start with these items if you throw them on the ground they will decay and you will not get them back. You can't buy or find newbied items (unless it is from another player or your own character).

Blessed - the item will say [Blessed]. The item can never be lost during death or stolen (in most cases). This stays with you regardless of your innocent or murderer status. //Yup. Clothing Bless Deeds (CBDs) are available from Bulk Order Deeds (BODs) available to Smiths and Tailors (again, search the forums for more info).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally, as I said at the beginning of all this UO is not a game where you design a suit of armor and weapon set with a "Calculator" and say to yourself, "I am so 1337." Anyone who has played this game will tell you that they have been killed with a "Newbie" Kryss/Katana (non-exceptional non-magic) or vice versa. This version of UO is more about how you play the game rather than what kind of gear you have on.

The most popular choices are as follows:
Lumberjack *still need swordsmanship skill-- Katana & Double Axe
Swordsman--Katana & Halbred (you can uses Axes as well but w.o the LJing damage bonus)
Fencer - Kryss & Short Spear or Long Spear
Macer -- ?? & Warhammer (or just don't use Macing)

Get around 30 - 40 AR on a dexxer. Exceptional Iron Archer (player made) suit gives you no dex loss (or -1 dex) and like 34 AR, they're not that expensive and you will be fine with it.

Anyway, I hope that helps you some and just start playing the game rather than worry about item specifics and find what you like.