Exceptional vanquishing frostwood bow.

halygon

Grandmaster
I dunno if I would call it jacked up, but interesting assessment none the less. I have a hunch that after watching the progress of crafters on the first few days, admins decreased the higher quality wood drop rates. I farmed for 4 hours yesterday and only got ~50 frostwood and bloodwood. Maybe 80 heartwood. The chances of getting a vanq or power modifier seem rather low. You have a chance on a GM exceptional craft only, to be granted a modifier. Often times (maybe 7 out of 8 crafted) no bonus is granted and you're left with plain exceptional bows. When you do luck into getting a bonus, even on frostwood the bonus can be as low as ruin, accurate, or durable. So there is a minimal chance you will get something like vanq. Even more highly unlikely is the chance that you will get that bonus in addition to ANY accuracy modifier. The chance that you'll get a bronze runic quality weapon on even the rarer woods is pretty damn small. Coupled with the rarity of the high quality woods, id say its rather balanced with the effort and rewards granted from runic hammers.
Nah, still jacked up because I can't just take valorite ingots and have a chance at vanq weapons -- regardless of the success %. I can't take barbed leather and make magic armor without runic tools, etc

Fattson

Grandmaster
Nah, still jacked up because I can't just take valorite ingots and have a chance at vanq weapons -- regardless of the success %. I can't take barbed leather and make magic armor without runic tools, etc
There are no fletching bods. You know where to mine val and verite. I've yet to pull in frostwood boards and I've jacked about 15k boards at 115 lj since the woods came out. I don't think you should look at this as unfair, it's just different. And good different, imo. Helps keep the server fresh.

halygon

Grandmaster
There are no fletching bods. You know where to mine val and verite. I've yet to pull in frostwood boards and I've jacked about 15k boards at 115 lj since the woods came out. I don't think you should look at this as unfair, it's just different. And good different, imo. Helps keep the server fresh.
No no.. the new wood and features are cool. My point is that it is not consistent with the current system (BoD) in place for smithy and tailoring. It is exceptionally easier to make exceptional vanq bows as opposed to an exceptional vanq smithy weapon. Hell, it took over a year for even a single valorite runic hammer was made. Now within days, a vanq bow was made with the new woods. Cool stuff but unfair.

EvilBob

Expert
Haly your concern is understandable. It is not consistent with a BOD system. But take into account the scarcity of the woods, the minimal success chance of crafting these weapons with great bonuses and the fact that the wood spawns are random and cannot be farmed like recall mining for val. Until I see bows on par with valorite runics and the like (having something with supremely accurate and vanq combined), the concern in my opinion is overstated.

Fattson

Grandmaster
No no.. the new wood and features are cool. My point is that it is not consistent with the current system (BoD) in place for smithy and tailoring. It is exceptionally easier to make exceptional vanq bows as opposed to an exceptional vanq smithy weapon. Hell, it took over a year for even a single valorite runic hammer was made. Now within days, a vanq bow was made with the new woods. Cool stuff but unfair.
There's way more gm fletchers than there are 120 smiths. The bod system is great but why would I want the same system for every craft? That would get boring. Also, those val hammer weps are going to sell for substantially more than a vanq frostwood bow. 40k tops for the bow. Gold runic weps cost more than that.

halygon

Grandmaster
There's way more gm fletchers than there are 120 smiths. The bod system is great but why would I want the same system for every craft? That would get boring. Also, those val hammer weps are going to sell for substantially more than a vanq frostwood bow. 40k tops for the bow. Gold runic weps cost more than that.
You think there's more fletchers than smiths? IDK..

As far as cost -- this is even worst. Someone can get a bow (equivalent to a val runic weapon) easier and cheaper. So... why not always have an archer as their weapons are more common and cheaper. It leaves a disparity that tends towards archery over all other weapon skills.

Agreed Fatson, but i think a lower priced bow market is what people like Haly are fearful of.
Making profits is the least of my worries tbh.

Fattson

Grandmaster
You think there's more fletchers than smiths? IDK..

As far as cost -- this is even worst. Someone can get a bow (equivalent to a val runic weapon) easier and cheaper. So... why not always have an archer as their weapons are more common and cheaper. It leaves a disparity that tends towards archery over all other weapon skills.

No. More fletchers than legendary smiths. Archery isn't used in pvp except by stealth groups which are few and far between. What this is gonna do is take an already viable bard template to the next level. No one is using val runic weps for pvm. Unless they're insane or insanely rich.

EvilBob

Expert
Just to give you some statistics on how much I farmed before I was successful in crafting that plain vanquishing exceptional bow. I farmed wood on my 120 LJ (which wasn't cheap to acquire, even before the new wood released) for at least 6 hours. In that 6 hours I accumulated roughly 40k normal logs, close to 8k oak, 4k ash, 1k yew, and less than 500 of the remaining, frostwood being the most rare (I think?) I was only able to get about 250-300 logs.

Of the frostwood, bloodwood, heartwood, and yew logs, I crafted one vanq, 3 powers, and 5 force bows. None of these had accuracy modifiers. I should keep better count of logs and how much I've crafted, but I have a decent recollection of how much I had. I used all ~300 frostwood, which equates to roughly 50 bows. Of those, I retained 4. Those that were trashed were normal, plain exceptional, or had just durability bonuses which I dont care much about. The 4 I have are 1 vanq, 1 power, 1 force, and 1 might. None of these have accuracy modifiers.

So to summarize, I've put in close to 7 hours (counting crafting) of consistent farming and crafting to yield these, and yet they still wouldn't compare to a val, verite, or possibly even agapite runic because they lack other bonuses. Sure, + damage is nice, but I've always valued an accuracy modifier pretty highly.

Its unfortunate for those that haven't prepared for the new wood introduction, but there was plenty of warning on the forums prior to its release (though it was eventually slipped in unannounced). I wouldn't have been opposed to a BOD system, but there being so few items a fletcher can craft, it seems a little awkward to implement. Additionally, if there were a BOD system implemented, what incentive would there be to farm the new wood without some kind of bonus attributed to them outside of farming wood to fill BODs? I think the system they've implemented is intriguing and balanced for the amount of work you have to exert to yield decent weapons. Having said that, I understand the arguments Haly introduces, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some tweaks to the system in the coming weeks.