Why is pet skill loss ignored?

Bromista

Grandmaster
Because fixing it makes too much sense. Joe asked for a suggestion post and maybe this warrants its own thread but I've been on a hijack rampage lately so here goes

@halygon @JoeB @JennaL and for shits and giggles @Blair

@TheFallen suggested a reversal of the current rules that apply to skill loss on pet resurrection:
  • Factioners (Pet PvP'ers or PvM'ers taking advantage of/abusing faction bonus) must take the stat loss and use skill scrolls on their pets. PvP is the facet of the game where pet skills matter most, much more than in PvM. And PvM'ers are already milking fat bonuses so why not slap them with an actual penalty when they die as opposed to a minor slap on the wrist and no skills lost? At all. Whatsoever. Including skills that don't retrain naturally on meta pets. Heyo. Am I talking to myself here? *And if upcoming changes to PvP content are going to include pet bonuses I think they need to be looked at closely to make sure they are done right this time. So I don't care if we are talking about factions, militia, whatever.*
  • PvM'ers get to res their pets skill-loss free for 5k. Rad.
That almost sounds like it discourages pets in PvP, something that staff said they wanted to do but never made good on, while also solving the problem of PvM'ers bitching about skill loss all the fucking time. Sounds reasonable to me. If anything, at least give us PvM'ers a taste of the good life and flip it for us for a few months then give it back to the PvP'ers or something.

Another thing to consider is the ever-increasing challenging PvM content staff puts into the game. My pets are dying now more than ever before, thanks Ankh dungeon and late night solo RDAs. And truly thanks to the staff for adding some more challenging content into the game but I really feel like changes to pet skill loss and the rules involved need to be totally redone to reflect that, now more than ever. *Upcoming content, PvM content and PvP systems both, are likely going to play a part in bringing big changes anyway. Hopefully they are made with care.*

I know things are likely never going to get turned around the way they oughta be but it's fun to have this discussion ad naseum isn't it?

Sorry for being a snide twatwaffle but this is getting rather old.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Null

Agreed, pet skill loss is too high. Died twice yesterday and ruined the entire days worth of leveling.

tankian

Grandmaster
when a pet dies it loses like 1.3 or 1.5 in that skill. some skills cannont be leveled back up unless used a skill scroll

steve-o

Grandmaster
pet skill loss has always been a problem since day 1 when they introduced pets that can't get their skills back...
they just have to increase the gain on resist and allow magery/poisoning to be gained and the problem is solved.

the big problem is faction pets only pay 5k to res... increase it to 50k and lets see who will stay faction, as it is now they just leave pets do die at champs/dungeons without caring if they die or not.

my pet died more then anyone else, it's lvl 6 for 2 years now but has always been max skills... i don't even know how many ss i used.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Pets that get used are going to get abused unless you farm scared like some people do but thats no way to play the game. Are our pets still going to wreck shit in PvM with trashed skills? Sure.

But are the current mechanics at odds with staff's vision? Yes they certainly still are.

Some One

Master
Some good things said.
I'm sure many more would like to put in their opinions too.
As is pet skill loss is a disaster ,and a well known one at that.
Will it ever be addressed?

Young Star

Grandmaster
At least let them gain back easier. The two main ones, magery and resist barely gain. You would think with as much as a dragon casts that they would gain their magery back up as much their wrestling and tactics seem to recover. Resist i dont see why it doesnt gain more either when fighting balrons, ogre mages, AW, etc. They all cast on them with tons of high level spells but barely gets any resist gains.

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
What's the top 3 largest issues with bet skills/ pet skill loss right now?

I've heard about this issue for awhile, i know it's an issue, but i don't wanna remove pet skill loss totally for sure. HOWEVER if it's impossible to regain pet skills at a certain level then we will look at it for sure. Please post the issues, and how you would fix it

steve-o

Grandmaster

I've heard about this issue for awhile, i know it's an issue, but i don't wanna remove pet skill loss totally for sure. HOWEVER if it's impossible to regain pet skills at a certain level then we will look at it for sure. Please post the issues, and how you would fix it
Any metapet cant gain magery past 100 or around there
Any metapet cant gain any poisoning
Any pet cant gain resist, it's too slow.
2 mil exp for metasteed to reset skills is impossible, lower it to 750
Make them gain resist and magery a little faster.

Increase faction res to 50k and people will stop abuse it and care about his pet.

1% is a good skill loss, the old 0.1 was useless

Last edited by a moderator:

Derwolf

Grandmaster

imo pet skill lost isn't an issue,meta pets skills reset upon leveling and level 7 they reset on rollovers. it creates a market a healthy market for skill scrolls and 7x pets. it is not hard to take 2-3 accounts and set up training area inside a house. You can get your pets resit and magery in the 90s in a few days. i think a good start would be removing the negative pet skill gain in loss in houses + lowering it from 1% to .08% skill loss upon death

Bromista

Grandmaster
There's really no need for the SS market to be kicked into hyperdrive. There still would be plenty of demand for SS use for both players and pets if pet stat loss were to be toned down a bit.

@Shane more or less the problem with actual numbers of pet stat loss lies with pets with skills that are above GM not retraining.
  • Magery won't train past I believe 114 naturally. Resist not much better. And it isn't even a huge deal for those with 120 taming because of the rollover. For those stuck on level 6 they get to roll over their XP and will get a skill reset when they upgrade but I believe you are stuck retraining skills and using SS until you roll it over.
  • Steed XP has been adjusted down to 1m per reset once maxed if I'm not mistaken? That was an important change if it was made. If not it should be addressed. Steeds could still benefit from an accelerated XP gain, nothing crazy maybe 1.25x XP, 1.5x XP? @AssHat would be the best judge of this.
  • Above all, for me, is factioners (either tamer PvPers or PvMers abusing sigil bonuses) getting off the hook completely by being able to res for 5k gold while your average PvMer has no similar opportunity. How does that keep pets out of PvP?
Because it has been said by staff numerous times that pets in PvP are an issue and need to be discouraged more than they currently are. Granted, few play PvP tamers these days... the most egregious offenders are no longer playing here (RIP $ guild, you are not missed) but that does not mean changes shouldn't take place in their absence to make PvP tamer life a little less easy.

David

Apprentice
So hate on this all you want but cry me a river. Tamers some of if not the richest ppl on the shard they can spend some of that gold on SS. Its far too easy for tamers other than the grind to get to max taming from there you guys are on easy street if this wasn't true there wouldn't be so many tamers. From someone w/o a tamer I see that most "end game" content requires a tamer or two to complete and feel that if you don't have a tamer your just f'd. So yeah again cry me a river about how your pet lose 1% in skill.