Why aren't guild sizes limited?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orgha

Apprentice
Some guilds here have hundreds of members in a community of under a thousand players...

I'm not talking about the new player guild. Other player run guilds.

Pick a number. IMO no more than 25.

Don't allow alliances of more than two or possibly three guilds at a time, not counting faction guilds which should have a forced distribution of membership.

In combat, don't allow two or more non-allianced guilds to attack the same person or tamed creature. This prevents people just breaking up their guild on paper...

Do these things and you'll see far improved PvP scene. More faction battles. More guild wars. Less ganking, but still quite a bit I'm sure.

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
I am in kind of agreeance with this, me and Adam both have talked a lot about limitations for guilds.

Some of the alliances on UOF are so huge with so many people and guilds that it has caused some errors in the alliance system itself.

God.RG

Grandmaster
because when you have a server of 1,000 and an alliance of 400, there will be problems.. especially when you personally mention wanting the whole server to be green. the fuck is that shit?

rofl

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
lol what? I have no allies except 5 italians... maybe POWER should lower their join fee if youre having trouble getting members.

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
Why is it a bad thing large guilds and alliances form?

It's not bad if you have the players the system was originally built for (tens of thousands).
Like factions.

IT is bad when everyone starts joining one guild and just rolls over everyone else.
It's just not fun to everyone else, and since we don't have the tens of thousands of players to battle against a multi hundred player guild, it's pretty much turns into a "stacked team" issue.

I totally understand all sides, but in the end we will be doing what is right for UO FOREVER to thrive.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
When 2 large crews fight, its the greatest thing UO has to offer... theres many large crews on UOF now(POWER, EQMS, $, Trin, STANK, TBA, etc) why try to put some artificial limits instead of leaving it upto the community.

p.s.

for those who try to say EQMS mass recruits, which other guild charges members a join fee?

It's not bad if you have the players the system was originally built for (tens of thousands).
Like factions.

IT is bad when everyone starts joining one guild and just rolls over everyone else.
It's just not fun to everyone else, and since we don't have the tens of thousands of players to battle against a multi hundred player guild, it's pretty much turns into a "stacked team" issue.

I totally understand all sides, but in the end we will be doing what is right for UO FOREVER to thrive.

Sounds like the end of zErgQMS

They can still easily get around this by adding one another to 'Friends' list, since all they do is eb/closest anyways.

Im against limiting numbers in guilds.

Orgha

Apprentice
Why is it a bad thing large guilds and alliances form?

For the simple reason that it limits PvP opportunities.

Let's say there are exactly 1000 unique players ( which i doubt there are... But just for illustrating the point). Let's say guild A is 400 strong and guild B is 300 strong. These numbers aren't outlandish, but also not exact.The two ally up. We now have effectively 70% of the player base not actively PvPing each other. The other 30%? Fragmented and either not interested in PvP or being ganked basically 24/7. The problem of alliances only gets worse for anyone wanting to join an opposing faction. Also i understand multi accounts means someone could be part of a guild on one and oppose it on another. However human tendency is to support your friends/family whether in a Game or irl. Especially if you know they'll gank you in a heart beat...

Honestly I've never been part of a group of more than 25 people in any game where I've felt a bond with my clan/guild mates. Larger groups feel more like a cult than an online family. Which is what makes online groups more fun and meaningful. When you know everyone individually and somewhat personally.

Lord_Puffy

Grandmaster
Like factions.

Hopefully with the end of summer alot of the playerbase comes back from breaks/summertime. This is always a slow time for uo, always has been really imo.

Well see though, only thing I dont agree with is this game is built on player vs player relationships. And if youre forced to leave your guild, it kind of has a domino effect (imo). I dont think there is anyone ONE thing that can be done for a simple fix for this issue.

Lord_Puffy

Grandmaster
For the simple reason that it limits PvP opportunities.

Let's say there are exactly 1000 unique players ( which i doubt there are... But just for illustrating the point). Let's say guild A is 400 strong and guild B is 300 strong. These numbers aren't outlandish, but also not exact.The two ally up. We now have effectively 70% of the player base not actively PvPing each other. The other 30%? Fragmented and either not interested in PvP or being ganked basically 24/7. The problem of alliances only gets worse for anyone wanting to join an opposing faction. Also i understand multi accounts means someone could be part of a guild on one and oppose it on another. However human tendency is to support your friends/family whether in a Game or irl. Especially if you know they'll gank you in a heart beat...

Honestly I've never been part of a group of more than 25 people in any game where I've felt a bond with my clan/guild mates. Larger groups feel more like a cult than an online family. Which is what makes online groups more fun and meaningful. When you know everyone individually and somewhat personally.

I would like to see the # of unique ips for our guild that have logged in recently. 300-400? I doubt we have 10% of the player base in our guild.

Cack

Grandmaster
Don't know if it's been said but say you limit guilds to 20.
Whats to stop a guild like eqms making alt guilds like eqms 2, eqms 3....
Limiting guild numbers would do very little imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.