Warning to Skype Users on UOF

SidX

Grandmaster
I've noticed a lot of talk recently about UOF players getting individually attacked or otherwise victimized by other/rival players who launch attacks using the victim's IP address. It seems like the common denominator has been that most-- if not all-- of the victims use Skype.

Unfortunately it's incredibly easy to resolve a Skype user's IP address using methods you learn about in high school these days.. there are even some tools available publicly online that can do this. The 'attacker' doesn't even need to message you or add you as a friend, nor do they even need to communicate with you whatsoever or make themselves known. All they need to know is your Skype username and they are able to find your IP address in about 5 seconds.

Just a warning to everyone since I saw some people complaining in IRC. It's probably best to use Teamspeak or Vent instead of Skype... they will keep you a little safer.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
cant u just whois in IRC, why is irc any safer? I use neither personally unless my vpn is using a vpn via a payphone at the south pole...

SidX

Grandmaster
Yeah you can do a whois in some IRC channels but I don't believe it will work in UOF's IRC. Comes back with protected host each time.

halygon

Grandmaster
Just as a fyi. You can use irccloud.com to use irc without having your ip available and you can use onedrive.com (Microsoft onedrive) to connect to skype without the Skype client. Both give you access to the communication tools without the fear of your IP being out there.

Also if you are already or have been a target of this, you can always contact your ISP and request a new IP.

Last edited by a moderator: