1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wands/Firehorns adjustments thread

Discussion in 'News' started by Peav, Nov 9, 2017.

1. AreYouKidden

AreYouKidden Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Avalon Alduin, Achilles Alduin, Adams Alduin, Axgalor Alduin, Whisky Walt, Luke Thighwalker, AreYouKidden, Rusty Cleaver, The Mad Hatter
    Meh, consensual is when you join militias, basically saying others can attack and kill me without taking counts. Or when you flag gray, so that a blue can attack you without taking counts, or vice versa.

Attacking another and catching a criminal flag, by definition is not consensual.

I think Nim you are confusing consensual with balanced, and you are right it's impossible to balance PvP.

2. Smokey McCallum

Smokey McCallum Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    Can heal wands heal damage from non militia members?

Are heal wands counter productive in the first place since wands were only supposedly introduced to stop the endless running?

Can militia members attack any reds and greys with wands?

It also makes the healing skill worthless to mages who have enough cash to keep their chars stocked with wands. So a player who can afford to stay stocked in wands saves 200 skill points (healing + anatomy) over the player who cannot. Even if the mage takes anatomy to stun they save 100 skill points and can still heal on the move. Doesnt make sense to me, where is the compromise for these players? Free skill points to put in other areas and no compromise for the richer players.

Who is deciding these changes because it seems the majority of the community either dont want wands or could easily do without them. The fire horns arent too bad because at least some skill points are needed to use them effectively

AreYouKidden likes this.
  3. AreYouKidden

AreYouKidden Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Avalon Alduin, Achilles Alduin, Adams Alduin, Axgalor Alduin, Whisky Walt, Luke Thighwalker, AreYouKidden, Rusty Cleaver, The Mad Hatter
    Well said Smokey, that's why I always said you should tie Wands to 100 points in a skill, or even 200. Spirit speak?

4. Smokey McCallum

Smokey McCallum Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    I was thinking throwing at first (no idea how to even train that since ive never used or seen it used) but maybe tied in with tactics it could bring a load of new templates into play. The tank mage might become viable and would stop people cramming the highest damage possible into one template.

All that being said, some sort of mount stam and/or increased damage across the board with some other skills being looked at like poisoning etc would negate the need for wands imo.

Shenanigans and AreYouKidden like this.
  5. andrewlcaudill23

andrewlcaudill23 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2017
    No idea at all how or if this could be done, but!
    I like the idea of certain areas like the orc fort or booty island being designated for pvp (the only places I know of that dismounts you, I think this may have been the point in the first place). Could create empty towns that gain vendors once captured in areas like this. Would give people a reason to be fighting in areas without mounts.
    Just an idea and slightly off topic but unmounted definitely removes the marathon aspect. Seems a little overpowering as a mage to be fighting unmounted though.

6. Abiding Dude

Abiding Dude Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2015
    The Dude Abides. Dudeisms. Abiding Dude, & The Dude
    I mean no offense to UOF staffs in the post please don't take my post out of context, you guys do a kick-ass job here. As a seasoned noob pvper,I hope to see some love to pvpers come in the future and I'll be back playing full time. Its hard to play full-time atm, the last week of playing the pvp has been nonexistent and the pvp is not in a good place. I've been playing here since 2015 but the latest pvp changes and militia changes were huge setbacks from Adam's robust faction update and Blair's awesome addition to wands. Currently, consensual pvp is dead so to speak, I see 20+ blues doing champs with no interference. From what I understand there is some pvp to be had at major pvp events(champs, arch, etc) I personally don't enjoy playing a red char ganking blue pvmers that aren't looking for pvp unless it's a good old bard table run ; P. I speak for many when I say we are much more than "a small portion of the community" and players do in fact play just for consensual pvp. The PvM content here is the best I've seen for a uo free server, I wish just consensual pvp would get a fraction of the attention. I would love to see staff add back in adams faction update(-minus the cosmetics, faction mobs, and silver as staff has stated), revert the wand change, and possibly wands make usable for all except for reds. Make it a punishment for reds, blue can use wands on reds(no more fear about pvmers getting wanded down in dungeons + they can gheal + miniheal) and consensual pvp would be boomin'.

AreYouKidden likes this.
  7. Abiding Dude

Abiding Dude Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2015
    The Dude Abides. Dudeisms. Abiding Dude, & The Dude

8. Arch Enemy

Arch Enemy Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    words of power for horn are "Ricola"?

gay as fuck.

[​IMG]

9. Puuraidur

Puuraidur Active Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Wands have always been a ******** thing in UO:R PvP and further itemizes it thus making it less about skill and more about how much money you have. It is incredibly easy to survive with wands, it is nothing about skill just a extra hotkey on your keyboard that you push to not die, 1000 gold to survive per dump - wow, such diverse, many pvp.

PvP has always been the main drive of the game because it is easy to access but hard to master, wands and other "fun and diverse" items cater to the richest 1% nerds and push the entry to PvP further away thus making it harder for the PvP scene to survive the attrition. A PvPer wants to log in, PvP, log out - there is little room to farm for wands/gold etc in that time.

To be fair the UO:R ruleset PvP isn't about overpowered bolas, wands and other items, most of you noobs haven't PvPd to the extent to even make a comment on this topic or if you have then you have forgotten what it is. You need to have a deep understanding about the PvP/timers etc to even try to make a balanced guess at how these things should be implemented.

There are shards that provide itemized PvP fyi, mostly post UO:R with the addition of Trammel.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Baby Blue and drasked like this.
  10. TyroneG

TyroneG Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2016
    TyroneG
    I'm not the biggest fan of wands and I do agree with some of what you wrote, but I don't think wands are necessarily the horrible thing you make them out to be.

The way I see it they are good in the sense that they help groups with less numbers overcome the odds while outnumbered. They give damage on the run that can be a solution to the endless running.

My main complaint with them is when implemented in such a way that gives players 1 button macros to sync with explosion. Being able to hit one button and have it delay perfectly an explosion, weaken spell, and a lightning wand makes for bad PVP in my opinion. I'm not sure if UOF went about solving this the best way or not, but at least they recognize it as a potential problem.

As for the changes I definitely think the penalty for bandaging shouldn't exist. It makes them pretty much useless for dexxers. If bandaging and gheal wands are so big of an issue that dexxers are overpowered I think they should go a different route at fixing this issue. I also wish the delay on wand usage after explosion was shortened quite a bit, just enough so that it doesn't sync with explo damage.

Baby Blue likes this.