1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wands/Firehorns adjustments thread

Discussion in 'News' started by Peav, Nov 9, 2017.

1. toddyboi

toddyboi Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2016
    Toddy
    Bolas are not the answer, it's just sloppy, people bola kill mounts, spam bolas, it's just shit pvp.

Wands don't hit instantly buddy.... You can easily cast a gheal or a mini heal/heal pot b4 they hit you with their wands. Plus youre more than likely to resist 1 of the wands.

drasked likes this.
  2. batman

batman Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    pop a lock
    Keep it all in militias theres no need to give more of an unpperhand to pkers against non
    skilled players...

girana likes this.
  3. girana

girana Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2014
    nope

they used none of my suggestion if they would everyone would be happy.

4. Nimious

Nimious Member

May 7, 2013
    You can say anything you want about a bola being "sloppy", but every single person who has ever pvp'd or been pk'd has their own personal opinion of what is fair and what isn't. You have your opinion, and I have mine. But you have access to your pot wands, and I don't have access to my bolas. It's simply unfair favoritism...

girana likes this.
  5. Lexington

Lexington Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Because we have many different types of PVP... Griefing, Non Consensual, Consensual, PVM induced and Guild Wars / Militian. So which type gets what rule set?

6. girana

girana Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2014
    guild wars/militita/pits is always Consensual PvP

every thing else you named is Griefing and not PvP.

andrewlcaudill23 likes this.
  7. TyroneG

TyroneG Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2016
    TyroneG
    I played around with wands/firehorns a bit on test and while I appreciate the attempt, it is not IMO very well done at all. Wands before already felt clunky with how much of an item delay there was using them. Now they are 100x worse in that aspect. Can't use them 99% of the time. It's like you have to ask yourself 100 different questions as to whether or not you are currently able to use a wand. Am I in a guild? Am I in militias? Am I blue and not red? Am I using the wand on an enemy who happens to be in militia? Have I used a pot in the last 5 seconds? Have I casted explosion in the last 5 seconds? Have I used a firehorn in the last 4 seconds? Have I used any other wand in the last 4 seconds?

I'm not the hugest supporter of wands to begin with, and I think the server would be fine without them IF some big PVP changes were made across the board. I would either rather they be usable by everyone or not exist at all - not a fan at all of changes to militia only. It creates unfair advantages against other people (being able to heal wand against other groups) and people will not be able to practice with the wands before joining militias which will make the skillgap and barrier to entry of militias too great for new players. If they are intent on wands existing and them being militia only they definitely need to get rid of the explosion pot restriction. Why on earth this was thought of as a good idea is beyond me. Maybe someone else can crunch the numbers, but I wonder if it would even be worth it to use wands when you could have thrown a pot instead. In any case it makes wands feel super out of place in combat and very clunky. I'm not sure what all the changes to using heal wands while bandaging are about, but from the wording it makes it seem like another very bad change. I'm all for changes to bandages, but nerfing dexxers through means like this seems unnecessary.

What I do like about this change are that firehorns have the words of power on use, although I am not sure what the point is since it is an instant cast/instant damage. Maybe remove the restriction on on using firehorns after using wand and increase the time it takes to cast the firehorn spell so that there is actually some delay between the time you see the firehorn animation and the damage hitting. Also I would be in favor of instead of instant damage there to be a damage delay (possibly similar to flamestrike being that it uses the same animation). I can also appreciate the idea of disabling wands after explo is cast - although I'm not sure that is the right direction to take. It sucks that people will make 1 button macros that perfectly sync on the run, and I can understand wanting to remove that aspect of wands, but I'm not entirely convinced they were so much of a problem to change this way. I think increasing the delays (mostly through next-spell delay) so that it is impossible to explosion/weaken spell/lightning wand combo would have been more appropriate.

De Medici and manolo like this.
  8. baseball dad

baseball dad Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2016
    @Shane , remember those 20 people killed their own pvp by having too big egos that can not handle death.

Half of them literally sit in Valhalla (when not running marathons from britain to yew) not wanting to risk death cause they don't have a "crew" or big enough of one online.

I do, but i'm just a "dungeon rat", so what do i know.

speaking of which, can we please get rid of that red aggro shit from mobs, i am a very unhappy "dungeon rat" =(

De Medici likes this.
  9. jkg8787

jkg8787 Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2014
    [QUOTE="girana, post: 738794,
    every thing else you named is Griefing and not PvP.[/QUOTE]wew lad

not saying this is wrong. its in fact an interesting opinion. i certainly disagree though.

it is a good topic though. what is/isnt griefing? and maybe how attitudes in MMOs have changed over the years. not to be elitist but it was actually strange for me to see your opinion.

10. jkg8787

jkg8787 Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Ive heard conflicting opinions on this. I keep seeing people say it is turned off.

11. girana

girana Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2014
    wew lad

not saying this is wrong. its in fact an interesting opinion. i certainly disagree though.

it is a good topic though. what is/isnt griefing? and maybe how attitudes in MMOs have changed over the years. not to be elitist but it was actually strange for me to see your opinion.[/QUOTE]

anytyp of non consensual pvp is griefing..

jkg8787 likes this.
  12. girana

girana Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2014
    because the dmg of explo pots + lighting wands on the run together is to high.

like someone else said ""there's nothing wrong with noobs with aids being able to escape"".

13. Nimious

Nimious Member

May 7, 2013
    You're full of shit my friend... I have played UO since the dawn of time, probably before you were born and it is never consensual.

14. girana

girana Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2014
    ????

15. Nimious

Nimious Member

May 7, 2013
    Nerf one group, buff another... you just complain if it doesn't benefit you, or if it does you seem to be okay with it. I think people shouldn't have ANY restrictions when it comes to pvp at all, not restricted from wands, pots, bolas, or firehorns... but if you want to restrict one, then restrict the others... THAT is only fair. Don't go give militia pots and wands and firehorns, when you restrict bolas full force... that is just bullshit

16. Nimious

Nimious Member

May 7, 2013
    Since you have a hard time understanding, let me reiterate my statement... PVP is NEVER consensual... it's an opportunity knocks type of scenario in an online game which favors whoever is better equip'd with better gear and knowledge of skill when fighting. Pot wanding is the most pathetic PVP template / build you could use in your life, but go ahead and talk shit all you want on a bola.... I am still without respect when it comes to a pvp style to the staff, and you are getting what you desire. I wish I had staff support on my play style like you have, cause then it would actually be fair!!

17. girana

girana Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2014
    staff dont support my playstyle at all.

i am pro bolas and pro permadeath for reds.

maybe my understanding of the word " consensual " is wrong. for me it just says both sides are ok to fight eachother.

18. Genocide Pete

Genocide Pete Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Did the person getting attacked explicitly state that they're okay with fighting? And was he drunk at the time?

19. toddyboi

toddyboi Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2016
    Toddy
    Consenual PvP? It's a felucca server.... you don't choose when you want to PvP, that's the whole reason people play these types of private uo servers.

@girana You would get pked by an nox/achy dexer and still complain you died by wands and firehorns.

20. TyroneG

TyroneG Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2016
    TyroneG
    If you think I only complain when things don't benefit me, you have the wrong person buddy. Bolas have never been implemented here so they aren't restricting anything regarding them. They don't exist. And they don't exist for a reason.

AreYouKidden likes this.