1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wands/Firehorns adjustments thread

Discussion in 'News' started by Peav, Nov 9, 2017.

1. girana

girana Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2014
    how many ppl using tamers to pk ?

2. Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    I haven't had a say in whats been happening with wands or anything aside from that reds don't need to be using them. I've totally stayed out of it. What i posted was just my observation in all honesty, and just because i think something should be like this or that doesn't mean it should be or that i'm right. This also applies to everyone else here by the way. It's okay though as it's part of my job to take the fodder when people aren't happy non-stop. haha

3. AreYouKidden

AreYouKidden Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Avalon Alduin, Achilles Alduin, Adams Alduin, Axgalor Alduin, Whisky Walt, Luke Thighwalker, AreYouKidden, Rusty Cleaver, The Mad Hatter
    Perhaps you should consider some of the reasons why people aren't happy Shane? I understand you can't make all people happy at all times - but my observations of the last couple of months are that decisions are being made willy nilly, often without many knowing the reasons why (or even know they were made), which puts people off when they've put such a large commitment of time, and for many, money into your server. People want to feel there is a future, hope, but without a defined vision or road map, or changes made within those definitions, people start to lose faith, and grow restless. You have the largest player base of any shard out there, which by definition allows you the most potential, but you aren't recognizing that potential in many ways. You rolled out militias with the bare minimum, then started tackling PvP balance issues, instead of building on the militias system.. With the lack of focus around here, we have no hope to see some of the great ideas realized around here.

Changes like removing firehorns on a whim, or getting rid of wands, and then implementing them again, without truly stating why you went the direction you did, does nothing more than to further upset/disappoint the community, when in reality, the minutia of wands/firehorns haven't ever really been the issue. And rolling out Militias on the premise that you'd developed it over several months, and it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, it was going to totally fix consensual PvP and factions, when in reality you implemented changes to a guild system, and the bare bones of what could be a great system, and did nothing with it for 2 months, just shows the lack of planned direction you actually have. At some point words, and hope aren't going to keep things afloat, you need to give something of substance back..

You say that you haven't had a say in what's been happening with wands, trying to divest yourself of what's taken place with them, that isn't really taking the fodder here, and whats worse is it gives us even less faith that you know what's going on here. This is your server, while you may not be the development expert here, you should have a handle of what's actually going on, and the real issues people have. And you do that by building a out path/vision for the future, and keeping people on task towards it.

Shane likes this.
  4. Lexington

Lexington Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2013
    If it's not you deciding who is... we need to throw them under the bus LOL!

5. Shane

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    I mean as far as i know eppy's been trying to hear everyone out here, but if anyone thinks we are going to implement insta kill stuff like stun tamers/bolas/pedals and wands for everyone etc it just won't happen. So many people left another server because of that shit, in fact i can promise you its why i left and started UOF.

There's a small percentage of people that want that and that small percentage of people would totally wreck everyone non stop and it would be a BLAST for them so i can't blame them for wanting it, however it would drive a much larger chunk of people away incredibly fast.

You guys have to understand that just because 20 people in one thread want the same thing doesn't mean that is how it should be. It might look like "PEOPLE aren't happy" but it's actually just SOME people. The truth is we are hitting our five year and we are going strong. There needs to be balance, and we've heard everyone out i think as much as we can. We've saved all the posts with all the discussions over this stuff and are making decisions based on not only feedback, but experience in how things has panned out in the past.

PvP was absolutely non existant and horrible on UOFOREVER when it launched.
    Since then we've revamped factions not once, twice but three times adding in incentives etc.
    Totally revamped the damages for spells, weapons and armor ratings multiple times.
    We added order/chaos to try to get OvO going.
    We added Hero/Evil system to try to get more pvp going.
    We added Sallos to entice more pvpers here.
    We then joined Hero/Evil into factions to again, try to boost factions..
    We added wands, created a new template with firehorns.

All this was done by listening to the community over 5 years and working with them directly, yet still some of those same people still aren't happy, then without failure they will say "UOF PVP IS DEAD".

So now we are trying to listen to people, but also after watching what we've done for all these years and the trials and errors we are learning from that and doing things a bit our way now too.

Soo.... We've listened and tried it the players way and its helped in some ways and in some ways it hasn't. I think it's fair to let us take a shot at it for the next 6-12 months.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  6. Lexington

Feb 20, 2013
    Wisdom right there folks!

girana and Bobby123 like this.
  7. Lexington

Feb 20, 2013

Sorry for the double post... can't seem to edit?

Most of these new PVP items have been implemented to counter the constant complaints about running... have you ever considered just adding in mount fatigue instead of all this other stuff?

8. Shane

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post

I'm all for mount fatigue, the problem is it will really help ganks i think.
    People just want that GUARANTEED kill.

Well actually, if we did mount fatigue for militia only i'm all for that.

9. Lexington

Feb 20, 2013
    I'd be all for it if you got rid of the other stuff... you'd just have to balance it. I used to run with two or three ethys on OSI because of it.

10. AreYouKidden

Mar 28, 2017
    Avalon Alduin, Achilles Alduin, Adams Alduin, Axgalor Alduin, Whisky Walt, Luke Thighwalker, AreYouKidden, Rusty Cleaver, The Mad Hatter
    This I can appreciate, this actually makes it sound like it's your server, you take pride in it, and have a say, a vision, a future.. I don't know what it is yet, but it inspires much more confidence than comments like "I haven't had a say"

I'd love to have an understanding of the theory behind PvP design choices - what is the end goal. I think I've figured out you want to offer some protection to the newer player to PvP, you want to offer some protection to the ganks, and you don't want the top 1% to easily trash other players by providing them all the tools of the trade, but what is the actually mission statement here? "Our goal at UOF is to provide a safe haven for new players while allowing veterans the variety, and flexibility to play different competitive builds in a fun secure environment..." I don't know just flubbin now.

Btw I just read that mount fatigue will help with ganks - but the reality is, if you are fighting 3v1 - why should you expect to win?

andrewlcaudill23 likes this.
  11. Shane

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post

I mean isn't that why we are adding wands, so you can fight 3v1 and possibly win? If you fight 3v1 you shouldn't win but that slight 1% chance makes it more fun since you have that possibility. Also, just because you fight out numbered doesn't mean you should die every time no matter what, there needs to be again, a possibility of escape. Otherwise no one will even bother, right? That imo is the reality.

andrewlcaudill23 and Bobby123 like this.
  12. AreYouKidden

Mar 28, 2017
    Skill level also comes into play, but if I'm fighting 1v3, and I'm winning, or even have a chance to win - that says to me my template is far too powerful. I've watched videos of solo PvP'rs, running a group of 6-8 around, and managing to kill them all. I mean that's got to be far more damaging demoralizing 6-8 players, than having 1 PvP rage quit because he died, playing against stupid odds.

That said, the 6-8 players shouldn't have let themselves be run around - stand your ground, and don't chase can go a long way.

13. Nimious

Nimious Member

May 7, 2013
    It is very hard to be a pvp tamer when you are gimped skill wise without being able to bola... I think bolas should be allowed, since pots are, wands are, and the server has such an advantage with pks and everything else being allowed... tamers shouldn't be so gimped with restrictions from bolas. Every template gets their perks, why not tamers? And Meta pets aren't shit considering they are easy to avoid. A mare isn't anything more than a guard dog when it comes to defending yourself with such a gimped template
    No one should be forced into a pvp role just to have fun playing the game... PERIOD! Lots of people play UO for the pvm, the community, and nothing more. It takes a lot of focus to be a pk or fight another player. Firehorns shouldn't be gimped, nor should bolas be taken out of the server. UO was built with these items for a reason, to be used. We should be allowed to build a template any way we see fit and use the tools the game was founded on. Otherwise one way or another, someone is getting jipped.

14. Nimious

Nimious Member

May 7, 2013
    The problem with wands, is you can do a dump, get someone low on health, and then finish them off instantly with a single wand use... rather than a half a second to cast a simple spell... if you're going to be cheap and allow wands and firehorns and explo potions, then why the hell are you not allowing bolas? These are all simple items put in the game for a reason, don't cater to one group or play style and screw over another.

15. AreYouKidden

Mar 28, 2017
    I think the common consensus is the moment you bola someone, especially with ethy's, they are dead.. they don't stand a chance, if your pets are on him, if a group is on him.. I personally think bolas were over powered in their era, if you tied it to Militias only (i hate that concept), and there were war horses people could by, so they could re-mount within 1-2 seconds, you could probably make that work, however the bola was only ever the tool of the griefer - however I had posted an idea to allow them, when you activate them, it takes 4 seconds for you to toss them, with a note coming out immediately *you swing the bola over your head* . If someone sticks around and gets bola'd, at that point it's their fault. Possibly make it so you have to target before the 4 seconds are up, so you can try to time it as someone comes on the screen, but if you don't throw the bola away, or the person goes out of range, it entangles you, and you can't move for 3s. Also bolas only use-able if you are unmounted to start with.

16. girana

girana Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2014
    i think alot pvp changes should be militita only.

like:

- mount fatigue
    - +2sec bandage timer for ppl in militias
    - ppl in milititas get stunned for 4sec stun
    - bolas

Shane likes this.
  17. Lexington

Feb 20, 2013
    Fine line cause you'll be creating two sets of rules for the same shard.

Shane likes this.
  18. girana

girana Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2014
    well we already have pvm stuff only working in pvm
    why should not pvp stuff only work in the pvp system ?

i can see why some pvpers want some of these changes but i cant see why griefers should have it even more easy to grief blues.

19. toddyboi

toddyboi Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2016
    Toddy
    Girana

20. Abiding Dude

Abiding Dude Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2015
    The Dude Abides. Dudeisms. Abiding Dude, & The Dude
    @Shane plz allow bola tamers. if no, why not?