1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wands/Firehorns adjustments thread

Discussion in 'News' started by Peav, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Peav

Peav Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    The mechanics of those two items are for many of UOF veterans well know, with those changes we would like to make wands and firehorns more user friendly and easier to understand and execute. Those changes are intended to make a comeback of wands and firehorns as balanced as they could be. Many possibilities of new templates can be created with the usage of those, so feel free to experiment. Any suggestions on furthur adjustements are appreciated.

Starting off with Fire horns.
    [​IMG]

ANYONE CAN USE FIRE HORNS, HOWEVER-

• ONLY THOSE IN MILITIA'S CAN BE DAMAGED BY THEM.
    • ALL CREATURES CAN BE DAMAGED BY THEM.

- Fire horns now has a brand new animation when charged along with words of power.
    "Ree Ko La"

[​IMG]
    GIF:
    https://i.gyazo.com/eb301466200957a5a203a8152da9e1a5.mp4

- The range has been adjusted to 12 tile as it was firstly implemented.
    [​IMG]

- Tile stack on (-0,0) only splits damage by number of players.
    The only possibility to spread damage of firehorns is to stack on tiles basically.

Area of Effect damage removed.

[​IMG]

- Firehorns share 4s cooldown with explosion pots/explosion spell/wands.

[​IMG]

Damage information:
    15 minimum - 22 max damage on 1 GM bard skill

BUG FIX:
    Fixed firehorn usage from floor.
    If targets too far it, it reverts the cooldown to use again.

Secondly about Wands.
    [​IMG]

MILITIAS ALONE CAN ONLY USE WANDS.
    REDS/PLAYER KILLERS CANNOT USE WANDS.
    BLUES CANNOT USE WANDS.

Damaging wands:
    All offensive wands (Lightning/Fireball/ also including debuff wands) share a cooldown with explosion spell of 5s

All wands share a cooldown with each other of 4s

All wands share a cooldown with explosion potions of 5s
    (chose wisely how to combo spells on the run)

Healing Wands:
    Gheal wand calculator changed from
    Heal = Utility.Random( 1 - 10 ) + (int)(Caster.Skills[SkillName.Magery].Value * 0.40);
    to
    Heal = Utility.Random( 1 - 5 ) + (int)(Caster.Skills[SkillName.Magery].Value * 0.35);

Mini heal wand Caster's Magery / 10 + 1-3
    change to
    Mini heal wand Caster's Magery / 8 + 1-3

Using Greater heal/Heal wand during bandages puts the wand on 15s cooldown.
    IF bandage is repeated, the timer repeats itself.

[​IMG]

(This nerf is stricly intended to dexxers so they can't abuse the healing wands as before and therefore have to chose between when to stop healing and use wand or not use at all.)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2017
    toddyboi, parsnip and AreYouKidden like this.
  2. girana

girana Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2014
    so wands can used to gank blues?

3. Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    No, reds cannot use wands.

4. girana

girana Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2014
    i pk with blues

5. Shane

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    Good point, we can also make it so criminals can't use them either.

6. Lexington

Lexington Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2013
    I wish you'd stop catering PVP changes and adjustment to the top %1, so called veterans, they don't need any more of an advantage. From what most have said... the average PVP players don't want all these additional items.

7. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    These changes sound pretty good. The mechanics seem a bit convoluted at this point, but I appreciate the effort to balance.

Speaking of balance, any talk of adjusting the stun timer? It is ridiculously short right now - it affects the mage vs. Dex balance a lot.

drasked likes this.
  8. Shane

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    I've realized this after playing last weekend with poptart, PvP imo is fine without wands/fire horns. The only people going to be using these wands are sallos users which really do only account for a small percentage of the users here. The work is done now however so might as well try it, at the least for militia's.

9. Grish'nak

Grish'nak Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2016
    Grish'nak
    Anything to encourage more of a pvp scene is a good thing. This being a militia only item means pk's won't be able to use them on normal blues. Cooldown's seem to mean its a strategy choice rather than a huge dps dump. I'll have a play on test, but it seems to me, that you wouldn't be able to do anymore of a damage dump with firehorn or wand and another spell, than you could with explo and another spell. Not sure what the mana cost is in various scenarios though - Ill play to find out!

10. girana

girana Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2014
    i am still 100% convinced that my suggestion ( allow wands/firehorns only inside nocuts and guardzone )

is the most balanced one in terms of catering the elite pvpers while protection the 5hotkey heros.

11. Athrez

Athrez Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2014
    Heli
    Hi.
    Cool.

12. Jibreel_kills

Jibreel_kills Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Your mother
    Why will it only be used by sallos players? How many non sallos players used wands before. Back in the day people with razor used wands all the time. I see no change there. Steam can do 20x more than sallos can.

13. Bobby123

Bobby123 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Bobby
    Words of Wisdom !

Bravo !

14. Jibreel_kills

Jibreel_kills Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Your mother
    Does firehorns have a damage reduction further you are away from target? Will the damage splash against friends like pots?

Wands can be casted an carried for a very long time which makes them very powerful, pots are a double edge sword if your not in range/or miss the timer.

15. AreYouKidden

AreYouKidden Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Avalon Alduin, Achilles Alduin, Adams Alduin, Axgalor Alduin, Whisky Walt, Luke Thighwalker, AreYouKidden, Rusty Cleaver, The Mad Hatter
    The changes seem confusing, and convoluted to me... I can't see how I'd possibly even start figuring out how to use them as a newer returning player to PvP, but I probably just need to get in game and play with them.

Keep it simple approach doesn't appear to have been adhered here, however from the outside looking in, i can certainly see the effort put in to try to balance, and allow people not to be way over powered using these, and can appreciate that. I'm a little disappointed that the fire horn went the route of direct damage, instead of a more support tool with splash damage and spell interruption on mage groups, there are far too many direct damage tools, and very little support tools that can help in group fights.

I guess on a positive note, I can make money off selling firehorns & wands again!

Bobby123 likes this.
  16. Shane

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post

Well that's just it, when we first put in militia's everyone was like "that's it so far?!" when in reality it was alot of work and testing.
    This is just wands and its confusing to you, so imagine if we laid out the removal of factions and implementation of militia's out like that.
    Doesn't matter what we do, if we explain changes in a simple way we get "that's it?", if we explain them in detail we get "this is confusing and convoluted".
    haha :confused:

Darkarna and Bobby123 like this.
  17. AreYouKidden

AreYouKidden Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Avalon Alduin, Achilles Alduin, Adams Alduin, Axgalor Alduin, Whisky Walt, Luke Thighwalker, AreYouKidden, Rusty Cleaver, The Mad Hatter
    Sure it was a lot of work and testing, because it was made with many sets of rules to be convoluted to try and balance it, when there could have been other ways to balance the two items that were less confusing. This could work out extremely well, from what I hear people like the changes on test, i'm hoping to get on and try them out in the next couple of days on test (unless they are on live now?) because once having tried I may have a better understand of everything peav listed up there...

And I wasn't trying to negate in anyway what was done, I know it's extremely hard to balance for skill levels, just from a casual bordering on hardcore player, it's extremely confusing, and may steer people away from it, I can't imagine how PvM blues who don't PvP at all will see it, if they even bother to care about it. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, just a perspective.

Btw - Kudos to @Peav and staff for getting the information posted, and out there, because that's something I've felt has lacked in a lot of changes, and it'll go along way with the player base being open about this.

18. kolbycrouch

kolbycrouch Well-Known Member

May 4, 2014
    Explo pot triggers wand cooldown? lol.

chad likes this.
  19. cups

cups Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    the artist formerly known as Holocaust Denier
    I think on paper this might seem hard to understand but if you were to play with it a little bit you will understand wands and their utility a bit better. It's always easier to learn hands on. I toyed with it on test last night and it's definitely different but I'm sure it won't take long to get used to.

I think these changes are fair. I'm pro-wand and pro-firehorn and there's aspects of the changes I dont care for such as wands sharing a cooldown with purple pots and explosion spell... but I'm happy to have wands and horns back. Wands and horns won't be as powerful as they used to be but they will at least exist. It's a compromise between those who love wands and those who loathe them. I think everyone is just going to have to make some adjustments to how they played but things will be fine once we experience it a bit.

I know many people are unhappy about wands. I was very reluctant to learn how to use them. Kind of like an old dog trying to learn a new trick.. but once I stopped being stunborn and so set in my old uo ways and gave wands a chance I really liked them. If anyone would like help with wands either on Steam or Sallos I would be happy to give you the script/macro and test it out with you until you understand how they work. PM me here on forums or privately message me on http://discord.uoforever.com under the name cups#8993. You will have to send a friend request as I am not in the main UOF general http://discord.uoforever.com.

20. cups

cups Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    the artist formerly known as Holocaust Denier
    [QUOTE=". PM me here on forums or privately message me on uoforever under the name cups#8993. You will have to send a friend request as I am not in the main UOF general uoforever.[/QUOTE]

oops I meant to say my http://discord.uoforever.com name is cups#8993 and to add me as friend there if thats how you wish to reach me.