1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UOForever Companion System! (2019)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JennaL, Jan 20, 2015.

1. JennaL

JennaL Moderator Staff Member

Oct 11, 2014
    UOForever's Companion System

UOForever's Companion System is designed to assist new players with getting started, and is also a lot of fun for our volunteer Companions! Companions are regular players and can therefore hunt with and accompany a young player on their new adventures.

Companions will also receive the following unique powers:
    • A special title of ".. the Companion" in their name, to be easily recognizable by newer players
    • Companions will receive an overhead message whenever a Young player logs in.
    • They will gain access to the "[young" command which gives a list of all young players currently online and when they were last helped by a Companion. When they select a young player from the list, it teleports the Companion to that young player if: (1) the young is not alive and is not in a house or boat or (2) the young player has not already been helped by a Companion in the last minute (this delay does not exist if the young player is dead).
    • The ability to enter "The Defiled Crypt", a unique Young Player dungeon located within Britain.
    • When a young player dies, all online Companions will automatically receive a message letting them know (so they can potentially teleport in and help them if desired)
    • When a young player is murdered, all online Companions will automatically receive a message letting them know who murdered them. They can then teleport to that young in order to avenge them, and/or offer a res. This teleportation is only usable when the Companion is not in combat with another player.
    • Companions will receive access to our Elder Hall and Companion Help Center, which is the building located directly northeast from Britain main bank.
    General Companion FAQ:

Q. What if a Companion is led into a trap by a "fake" young player.
    A. This is a risk that the Companion must assume, though they will be able to see the Region name that they are teleporting into such that they could precast recall or something. Staff will likely not interfere unless other shard rules were broken.

Q. Can't a Companion use a [young] player to get into places they shouldn't?
    A. It's not possible to port into houses or boats. However, there is a possibility of a ghost getting places that a normal player shouldn't be able to. However every time a Companion ports to a new player, the location and region are logged and will be reviewed. If any suspicious activity is suspected, the Companion and all their associated accounts will be banned. Companions are expected to uphold a higher standard than regular players.

Q. What if a Companion generally is being an idiot?
    A. Companion and nearby player speech is logged so if you witness a Companion acting inappropriately, please page in and report it so that staff may investigate and deal accordingly.

Q. What else should I know before applying?
    A. If accepted into the program you will be periodically reviewed by an Elder Companion, as all logs are kept due to potential system abuse. But this is an exciting opportunity to hunt with and show new players around and generally assist newcomers to UOForever, all of which can be very, very rewarding.

Q. Sounds great! I'd love to help out. How do I become a Companion?
    A. Post a reply in this thread indicating how long you have been on UOForever and why you would make a good Companion, and Cassandra Hope and staff will review your qualifications to decide on who will be offered the position.

More information on the UO Forever Young Player program may be accessed through the '[UOF' command:
    [​IMG]
    Our Young player program is constantly evolving. If you have any suggestions or comments please feel free to contact a staff member.

21 people like this.
  2. Stuart

Stuart Master

Jan 31, 2013
    Good day!

I have been playing UOF for 2 years.

I would make a good companion because I am very knowledgeable of game mechanics, crafting, fishing, and general adventuring.
    Most evenings (Mountain time) I have the ability to log on and help new players get their footing in the game. Whether its just bank sitting answering questions, marking runes, being a tour guide or just helping people in the guild that i belong to (THUNDER GUARD). I don't play a murderer or a grift other players. Lately i have been more involved on the IRC (user: Stuart) answering questions and becoming more engaged with the community.
    I have established myself here, and I feel that its important to give back to the community.

In game my name is Macias.

Thank you,

4 people like this.
  3. sam sam

sam sam Master

Dec 8, 2013
    Hello,

I have been playing UOF for only a few months. However, I think I would make a good teacher!!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    16 people like this.
  4. Tarena

Tarena Master

Sep 25, 2014
    Tarena
    Tenora
    Sosaria
    Genki
    I have been on UOF for a couple of months and would love the opportunity to help out new players.

I have been playing on OSI and free shards since I received my disk in a pc gamer magazine about 15 years ago and plan on playing for quite some time. Along the way I have been GM on multiple servers (Santiago was the largest) and always stayed with the server until they shut down.

I know the ins and outs of UO and spend most of my time these days helping players in the newbie guild (Genki is my character name in that guild). When I am not helping the newbie guild I can be found on my tamer (Sosaria) helping out guilders or on my thief teaching people about UO in a bit harder of a way ;)

Lately due to family I am only able to login Tuesday's during the day (7-3EST) and Wednesday evenings (6-10). However when I do login to play I am normally helping others.

I also have been an avid IRC troll over the last few months (Tenora) and have tried to answer any question to the best of my knowledge.

UO has always been a social game for me. I craft and PVM a bit, but mostly UO is a way to meet new people and I love helping new players experience the same UO that I fell in love with so many years ago.

5. kmotion

kmotion Apprentice

Oct 1, 2013
    I have been playing on UOF for a little over a year now, and have been enjoying every moment of it!
    I enjoy welcoming, and assisting new players to the world of UO and UOF because it gives me satisfaction in knowing that i was able to make a positive impact on their gameplay experience. Too many times have i seen someone's excitement for the game get squashed like a grape because of the frustration, or just plain old, bad luck. (I know we've all seen this happen at one time or another)

But moving along, I've played UO from beta, till 3rd Dawn on the Baja shard (some will remember me, some won't:eek:), and i still have my beta CD to prove it! :D I've also been a part of the original companion program for OSI on the Baja shard, and what I bring to the table would be a fairly extensive knowledge of the general UO gameplay, a little bit of UO history, and lastly, the pure love of the game!

Aloha from Hawaii,

Kmotion \ooo/

6. Rachel

Rachel Apprentice

Feb 28, 2014
    Iris Rose
    I've been playing UOF for about a year now but have been familiar with UO for over a decade. I currently play nearly 5 days a week with my small guild and basically spend a lot of time trying to help newbies already. We have pretty much every character build on hand, which allows us to answer most questions. Not as up to date on PVP but we are working on it. We have all the resources to help someone get started and also know how to show them how to acquire them. Also can help explain macros/hotkeys/razor to someone pretty easily. I'd like to be a companion because when showing a new player the game it brings back the excitement of playing as a new player myself. :D

4 people like this.
  7. Steele'Dish

Steele'Dish Master

Mar 14, 2014

I'm part of that "WE" Rachel keeps mentioning. I've been playing UO since the vanilla days before T2A and Trammel came out, and UOF for almost a year. Rachel and I would be great companions because we do everything as a team, and enjoy helping people. We have the means to get any new player set up with equipment, runebooks, regents, and overall places to go to make money and have fun. As Rachel said, it does add a sense of nostalgia when seeing new players being wowed by what they see as it reminds me of when i had seen it as well as a noob. Myself and Rachel are almost always on at the same time (EST anywhere from 4pm - 11pm) dungeon crawling, sailing, or crafting to get ready for crawling/sailing. It is definitely our goal to make sure people keep playing the game!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2015
    4 people like this.
  8. crome

crome Grandmaster

Oct 25, 2014
    Crome
    Names = Crome saditden Pimpin Pirate
    Time on server = 4 months [accounts made 2 years ago but didnt have time to play]
    Style of play = pvper/PK/Duelist
    UO History = played since 1997 through every era [with breaks] [every server]
    Staff Experiance = Seer OSI 1998 Drachenfels
    Freeshard Staff = Admin OSP/ GM uog / ipy / abcuo councilor dfi and many others.
    RL name = Steve
    age = 30

2 people like this.
  9. Desi

Desi Grandmaster

Apr 3, 2013
    Some great applications here for consideration. I'll soon be in touch with you all.

8 people like this.
  10. Dj Double D

Dj Double D Grandmaster

Jan 12, 2015
    Baby Goose, Dj Double D, Red Black, Junglistic Man, Admiral Awesome, SpAcE GhOsT...
    Hello All :-D
    Ive been here on UOF for just a few short months now but with all that's come back to me i've been taken back to the late 90s when I first started playing UO on Great Lakes OSI..
    I want to be a companion... or not. Lol. I really dont care as much of what a companion does I do already (without the extra abilities, obviously) and love doing so. Part of this game is getting your stash stolen at Brit Bank, or getting gang ganked deep within Destard, basically unhappy, not fun stuff... the flip side of that is the people who will give their time or their lewts for free, and easily, to those who demonstrate a shared love of the game and a similar set of values... dare i say virtues! Im always ready to help out young players and help make this amazing shard more than the devs ever hoped it could be. If youd like to fix me up with some extra tools to enable me to do so in an even better way, Im all for it :-D
    Cheers!

11. The Real Keith

The Real Keith Adept

Dec 5, 2014
    The Real Keith
    Application Withdrawn.

The companion system is a great addition to uoforever and the staff are doing an excellent job managing it. I feel that I can help players in my own way through my guild and do not want a conflict of interest by being a companion and recruiting players.

I wish you luck in your recruitment process for the Companion system

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2015
    2 people like this.
  12. Bromista

Bromista Grandmaster

Apr 12, 2013
    Keith getting busayyyy on that wiki for sure.

13. Jeitarium

Jeitarium Master

Sep 30, 2014
    Jeitarium
    Hail fair adventurers. I have been on UOF since Sept 14. I played OSI in beta from '96-98 and again from 01-03 on Siege. I have always been a PK, and this gives me the perspective to help those who wish to become hunters themselves or avoid being the pray. Am happy to help on my blue character, Lord Jeitarium CH

14. Ethereal Corpse

Ethereal Corpse Master

Jul 30, 2013
    I started back on napa valley back in 98 Played until 2001, Found this server and love helping new players when I am on. I play nights and all day sat and sunday.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2015
    3 people like this.
  15. carsomyr

carsomyr Grandmaster

Sep 21, 2013
    Heyya !

Its a good oppourtunity for me , helping new players as a companion...im doing it casual as a player in-game , but i wanna do it under of this respectable title..

playing more than a year on this server , may i have 5-6 years experince in UO..Although im a terrible pvper , i can share my pvm and game mechanics knowledge ;)

2 people like this.
  16. Ethereal Corpse

Ethereal Corpse Master

Jul 30, 2013
    plus 1 for carsomyr, He was very kind and helpful when I started back up on this server.

17. Fuschino

Fuschino Adept

Dec 11, 2012
    Hi,

I've been playing since launch. The only thing I haven't GMed (here) is taming (although I'm on my way). I've been playing UO since 1996ish (Catskills). I'm a member of Trin and love the community aspect of it. At this point, I really enjoy being part of a larger group and helping people out. I think one of the most difficult aspect of this game is the learning curve. For new players it is very intimidating. I love this shard and want to help in any way I can with longevity. New players are big part of that. With a server population as mature (i.e., established) it's important to help new players (or new to the shard) with the little things: good places to hunt, basics of the server, maybe a handout here and there. Also, I love the idea of "vengeance" for new players. Very good.

I would love the opportunity to be a part of the program.

Thanks!

18. Vince[Tharakus]

Vince[Tharakus] Grandmaster

Oct 13, 2014
    Tharakus
    Cassandra & Team,
    I've been playing UO on n off since 1999. I've always had a love for the game! I've played here on UOF extensively for over 4 months now. I've established myself here, and have seen many reasons why this server has and will continue to be hands down the best one since the original OSI servers.
    Since my early beginnings playing in the world of Sosaria, I've not only understood why assisting new players is a vital part but I've always enjoyed helping new players out. It is also something I will always continue to do whether it's in an official capacity or not. It is just in my nature to do so.
    I understand that assisting new players does not mean throwing them into a high-end set of armor and a vanq weapon and pointing them in a direction of the closet dungeon, and wishing them luck. Yes, I usually will help outfit them with some essentials (ie, some gold, runebooks, hunting items, a horse and such. But more importantly the knowledge! The knowledge of how to live, survive, and be self supportive is invaluable! This is the part I really enjoy, the teaching! New player retention is vital to our servers future.
    I've GM'd every skill known in UO. And the knowledge to get a person there. I possess a firm understanding of the UO mechanics for, Crafting, PvM, PvP, PK survival, and Sosarian geography.

As stated above, this is something I will continue to do no matter their outcome of my selection process. Now, having said that I look forward to being selected to carry out this most important and personally rewarding position. I will carry myself with honor and respectful, as my actions will directly affect the name and respect of the Campanion Program and what it stands for.
    I humbly ask for a chance to give my assistance to the program and our valuable New players, and greatly look forward to hearing from you(Cassandra) and the Team!

Respectfully,
    Richard the Lion of Trinsic

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
  19. Cack

Cack Grandmaster

May 26, 2014
    Cack, Commando(dfi), Tolaok Nor(dfi), super obese man, order sixty six
    Hey yo
    I was one of the best counselors on dfi, then gm(raised the shard pop by an average of 20% nights during my 10 or so months of gm)
    I enjoy helping new players.
    Anyone thats ever seen me at WBB, im most often sitting there waiting to help a young.
    Thats it. Im sure when you pick the right candidates a more in depth talk will be done. Thanks

20. Dryad

Dryad Apprentice

Apr 24, 2014
    Hey All
    So I asked to be invited into the New guild a few days ago, and someone told me I should apply for Companions if I wanted to help new players even further, so..

I've been playing UOF for just shy of a year, 10 months. I've spent a lot of time on this server and most of the time if I'm not farming, I'm helping new players. I've GM'd every skill that there is to GM :)

I have a lot of knowledge of this server and a lot of extra time to spend on it. I've spent the last few days helping players in the New Guild and have started making a few new friends as well, which is always nice.

I'm all about improving the population of the server and making new players feel welcome so they will want to stay and play even more.

Thanks! :)