ULtima Online was released 20 years ago today!

Firecrest

Grandmaster
The community of UO. it is like nothing else. I have played a round of MMOs but in every case it was join a guild to do end game things and get upset when someone wasn't good enough :). UO lets you be any type of player! I played from UOt2a until UO AOS. Then off and on with private servers. But currently I like being here on UOF.

and the only reason I purchased UO in the first place was my love for the series. except Ascension............ <--- :(

Anyways here is to 20 more years of Ultima Online!

Skye Wolfbane

Governor of Trinsic
happy birthday UO!

My son got me playing when he was 11. He's now 30. He plays from time to time still but not steadily. However, during those teen years when most parents say they have nothing in common with their teen or don't know how to relate, we always had UO. It made us closer actually. And for that I will always be grateful for this game most of all.

And then a very close second are the friendships I've made over the years. Many who became more than just online friends but true friends forever.

parsnip

Grandmaster
Ahhh so many memories! Some of my most memorable from the early days on Napa Valley:
- Getting owned by PKs casting fireball in Despise pass
- Getting owned by the first dragon I came across (I tried to tame it with 0.0 taming)
- Getting owned by people with vanq war hammers during server wars (It was a glorious day when I got hold of a hammer myself, if only for those brief few minutes of the server wars)
- Getting owned by @SirLothar’s mad tank mage hally skills (We were in school back then, hard to believe we are still both playing!)

... Mostly my memories are about getting owned :D

JackPalance

Master
Played on Great Lakes in the 90s- guilder up with some guys from yuogoslavia- was fascinating hearing stories from when everything went to hell in 95/97. I believe they were in Montenegro

shirtandpantsman

Grandmaster
I broke my ankle when I was 12 on a home made slip and slide and was bed ridden for the summer. My nerdly friend told me about this game on this thing called the internet on computers. And he said you could have a castle and cast lightning bolts on real people and take their stuff, he started at launch because his dad was a huge computer nerd and was waiting on it.

So I begged my mom to buy me a $2,000 Compaq computer to play UO on with my friend. I had never used a keyboard or touched a mouse and learned everything I know playing UO.

I think UO distorted reality, it made real life seem boring as fuck. Before UO we just played with sticks outside.

DrSaso

Master
...So I begged my mom to buy me a $2,000 Compaq computer to play UO...

Lol times have changed or not ..... most recent pc i built cost me about £3700, watercooled and all the good stuff.... mostly play UO which doesn't even use most of the hardware ha! Gpus....what are they? Multi core cpu? Ill use like 0.001% of one core xD

Think my fondest memories are still ongoing. The constant discovery of things ive never seen before even after all these years. That and begging my mum to let me use her card for the £2.49 monthly sub and could take it from my pocket money :D

That and the 56k disconnects....waiting with great anticipation through all the beeps, pings and warbles to find out if i was alive and fighting or eating dirt oOooOOOoo

Most of all the random encounters worth people... the good and the bad... people helping you out with great generosity to the complete shit lords who repeatedly pk and res kill because they can :cool::rolleyes:

Coorhagen

Grandmaster
So I begged my mom to buy me a $2,000 Compaq computer to play UO on with my friend. I had never used a keyboard or touched a mouse and learned everything I know playing UO.
I had one of those! I don't remember the price (my mother bought it) but it was a black Compaq computer where the speakers and volume were part of the monitor.
I even remember logging into UO for the first time, starting in Vesper, and not knowing how to move or walk. We eventually figured it out with the mouse.
I think this was in 1998, back when people would be Great Lords or Dread Lords (pre noto patch), pre T2A expanion and I think each character used to have a password required to log into that character.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
Happy anniversary!

What are your best UO memories from the past 20 years?
• Starting in Minoc, getting guardwhacked within 3 minutes of playing by attacking a tamed bird. Remaking my character because I thought that was the end of it and that character was finished because no one could hear me as a ghost.

• Learning that clubs target feet. Using newbie clubs to break blessed black sandals when PKers thought they were getting cheap lulz reskilling me.

• Luring executioners from Wrong 2 to the entrance on Wrong 1 in Trammel, watching them insta-kill people who entered, then disarming their axes and killing them to take their base loot, the players' loot they looted, plus the loot from the players' remains (back when you could loot player remains in Trammel).

• Meeting my wife. Kind of a big one I guess. Also some other assholes who I ended up smuggling and extorting the oceans with, both in '13-'14 and in '16-'17 - along with my old mercenary contacts from Catskills. Good folks. Miss a lot of 'em.