Treasure Hunting Specifics?

Sethisto

Neophyte
Hey!

I've been having fun here, but I'm pretty bored of doing the usual dungeon grind for gold. I wanted to start treasure hunting.

My current build is:

Music
Provo
Magery
Meditation
Archery
Tactics
Anatomy

I'd be replacing some of those to convert my character over. I have a few questions though on UO Forever in specific:

Do you need mining? Or are the chests not randomized here?
Do you need cartography at all? Or can you decode on one character and give to another?
How rare/what drops treasure maps? I've killed so many monsters raising all my skills to near GM and have never seen one. Are they just not dropping?

Chances are anatomy and Meditation would be removed for lockpicking/cart, or just one if i can cart on another character and dig up on this one.

Messremb

Grandmaster
No mining is necessary, all it does is let you be further from the chest when you dig it up, which you really don't need unless your using a very bad T-Map library.
You only need to use 70 Carto to decode any level map, I have never used it and transferred a map so I cant say if you can do that.
Treasure maps drop on just about every monster but are pretty rare, my best source of maps comes from paragon chests, as every chest has a map one level higher than the MOB that dropped it. I.E. a earth elemental chest (level 1 MOB) has a level 2 map.
you can also get level 1 maps from fishing.

for your build I would recommend keeping Med, but that's just my preference. if your going to solo maps I have found that Magery is more useful, though once you get into level 5 and 6 maps it gets really difficult to Solo.

My T-Hunter looks like this.

70 Carto
97 LP (will be GM)
100 Music
100 Provo
100 magery
80 Med
115 fishing
50 hiding

This works great for fishing and t-hunting, I have soloed up to level 4 maps with this build without much difficulty.

Sethisto

Neophyte
Alright cool! I'll drop anatomy and give it a shot then. Already started doing some easy maps and lockpicking is done.

I'm still not sure if I need cart though on the main character. Maybe to activate the shovel on the map? I'm just going off another guide i read, but it was another server entirely.