1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Missing and the Dead - Bane of the Fens

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Discussion' started by Blaine the Gypsy, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Blaine the Gypsy

Blaine the Gypsy Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Blaine the Gypsy

[​IMG]

Blaine wakes up just before dawn to the screams of a child that seems to sound being dragged away. He goes outside to the over grown mess that is Paws since this issue started. He searches around only to find claw marks in the dirt that look like they were made by a child being dragged away. Blaine runs to the swamp and checks the Lizardmen camps to find no trace of anything nor anyone but the lizards. Only to return to Paws to more claw marks in the dirt this time of an adult. What's going on here? Why is the plant population becoming such an issue?

Alucard, baddie, Shane and 7 others like this.
  2. Blaine the Gypsy

Jan 17, 2013
    Blaine the Gypsy

After a long day away from the village Blaine returns at dusk. Tired and had way too much opium, he walks into the Village of Paws with his head down not really paying attention to anything besides his feet. He suddenly stops and inspects the bottoms of his boots for no reason at all. From there he rubs his eyes, then squinting looking around with what little daylight remains. That's when he noticed... Some of the houses were different. The plants have over grown again in a short period of time. He wobbles a bit as he inspects one house at a distance.
    [​IMG]

He sighs and grabs a sword that has been stuck in the side of a tree for days now from him practicing his throwing skills. He beings to make his way to the house and then he stops to look around again... he notice no one was around at all. No trace of anyone. The swamp dead silent and nothing behind him in the Spiritwood. His gaze slowly turns to another house... dead silent, empty, and covered in plants.
    [​IMG]

Then he notices something strange. Either he had way too much opium or the plants seem to be moving very very slowly across the ground and around the houses. He looks at the sword in his hand and debates if he needs an axe or a torch.

He begins his long night of chopping away at plants and vines alone in the coming darkness.​

Cinder, Kerry_Bunk, Nekronos and 5 others like this.
  3. Blaine the Gypsy

Jan 17, 2013
    Blaine the Gypsy

That same night just before dawn... Blaine finds two bodies entangled in vines. These were just two travelers stopping for a place to stay and eat. How is he going to explain this to the rest of the village? Should he? He sends out word to the alliance of this news. He hopes he is not to blame.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I own the copyright to these images. They are my intellectual property.

Cinder, Kerry_Bunk, Nekronos and 3 others like this.
  4. Sir.

Sir. Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2016
    Sir Rendlesham
    *in his raven's loft, dutifully tending to his messages, he comes across a letter from the Village of Paws, informing him of a "temporary hold" on using the villages training barracks for his Knights. The Commander thinks slightly odd wondering why, but figures it renovation or some sort and calls up one of his officers to spread the news for the time being..*

Commander: Sergeant! I need ye ta inform the Knights that the Village of Paws Training Center will be temporarily out of commission until further notice. Continue to train at our other facilities in the meantime.

Sergeant: Uhm.. Sir, about Paws.. One of our scouts reported something rather.. odd?

Commander: Go on, Sergeant...

Sergeant: Well, the report is that the village was being overrun with a vegetation overgrowth. Not the average stuff either, as if the village aged in time for years, just overnight!

Commander: Hmm... Still, inform the men, and organize a small recon squadron, Sergeant. Ride out at first light to investigate the situation. Either their dirt is the most fertile in the land, or they may need our help... Keep the mission low key, Sarge...

Sergeant: Aye, Commander!

*the Sergeant crisply salutes and exits the Commanders loft with his orders*

5. Blaine the Gypsy

Jan 17, 2013
    Blaine the Gypsy
    In his ankles the thorns dig deeply as Blaine continues to chop away on what seems to be a daily and nightly task. The vines now wrap around his legs very slowly, but he still manages to cut them off in between the hacks and slashes upon what once were buildings. Blaine takes a moment to rest and walks to the swamp. Gazing into the muddy swamp water he sees his reflection upon the ripples from the rain. His eyes begin to grow heavy and the dark circles around his eyes from the lack of sleep grow deeper and darker.

He closes his eyes for a few minutes standing over the water. Breathing in the swampy air slowly. Attempting to truly rest. He opens his eyes and turns his back to the swamp looking upon the over grown mess that is now Paws. He lights up his opium pipe and mutters to himself. He then hears a soft voice of a woman, but unable to understand what was said. He turns to the swamp and gazes into the water again suddenly coughing very harshly from the opium and from what he sees. In the reflection is a woman within the ripples of the rain.
    [​IMG]

A loud Banshee like scream comes from the reflection and Blaine covers his ears dropping his opium pipe into the watery reflection. He turns and runs full speed through the village and into the Spiritwood. It has been several hours now... no one has seen Blaine. No one knows of this woman, but Blaine.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017 at 8:00 PM
    Cinder, Sir., Nekronos and 2 others like this.
  6. Sir.

Sir. Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2016
    Sir Rendlesham
    *as the Knights ride steadily now down the far northern part of Kings Way Road towards the Spiritwood, still two days out from their destination, the Commander looks back at his loyal comrades with a feeling of honor amidst his virtue-bound brothers and sisters... he knows he can count on them no matter what lies ahead, for their allies are counting on them as well, but he need not worry, for even the great walls of the Free City of Trinsic are not far from the Village of Paws! The Commander looks back ahead to the road onward without saying a word and uses these moments as the nourishment that keeps him going... He thinks to himself Huzzah!.. Just two more days..*

Cinder and Skye Wolfbane like this.
  7. Sir.

Sir. Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2016
    Sir Rendlesham
    And in the evening of the second night, the Knights on quest came to a familiar ruin just above the village... After a brief overview, everything seemed normal in the area.. Doubts of the report began to set in, so the small squad split up to cover more tracks and meet at the center of town...
    [​IMG]

But lo and behold, there in the parameters precisely where was marked on the maps @Blaine the Gypsy was handing out to everyone, grew like a wall of weeds a strangling amount of vegetation...
    [​IMG]

Hacking his way to the center, the Commander meets up with his squadron and a few people seemingly exhausted from what can only be the labor behind mounds and mounds of fresh cut weeds, vines and swampy mosses...
    [​IMG]

The rumors were indeed true, yet what was then revealed to the Knights that they did not hear was not out of the ordinary in a world like this, but the circumstances surrounding the situation certainly gave reason to raised brows...
    [​IMG]

The Commander had taken some samples of the vegetation to see if the alchemists or mages of Trinsic might have an answer behind this as it was truly anomalous; for even while in the Commanders pack, the vegetation seemed to grow a bit, uprooted from soil and water still...
    [​IMG]

As the Commander left his Knights with their orders, he began to ride towards Trinsic to deliver the samples. To his amazement, the vegetation was everywhere, and at such a rate that taking too long of a rest in the bedding of these weeds would surely swallow an adventurer whole!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And there, on the edge of town, did the Commander find a new recruit hacking away at the weeds, trying to carve a path in and out of the village for its dwellers...
    [​IMG]

And onward he rode with the samples delivering them to Trinsic's finest scholarly academies...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before the Commander leaves town, he leaves a note with his guilds official seal on the stoop of Governess @Skye Wolfbane , addressed to, "The Queen of Roses"... Enclosed is a synopsis of their findings and the delivery made to the city alchemists/mages in request of urgent response on their research to find a way to stop this natural disaster.

8. Blaine the Gypsy

Jan 17, 2013
    Blaine the Gypsy
    Mood music for the above post by @Sir.

9. Skye Wolfbane

Skye Wolfbane Governor of Trinsic

Jan 22, 2013
    Skye Wolfbane, Lynnissia Leoden, Hunter Lorde, Calico Jack, Jade Nevaeh
    Skye was smiling as she rode back from Jack Scallywag's home. It was good to see the retired Commander again. He was as incorrigible as always but had a good heart and told amazing stories.
    Just outside of her home, she saw a moving vine. She'd seen similar vines in the swamps but to see one so close to the city was rare. Jumping down off her mare, she took out her knife and attempted to cut the vine, but the more she chopped the bigger it seemed to get.
    “It must have been that ale Jack made me drink,” she said.
    Assuming she simply lacked the strength, she made a mental note to ask Guard Hunter Lorde to remove the vine and went inside her home. “A package came for you while you were gone,” Sally Mae told the governor before she could sit down.
    “Of course it did,” she groaned, taking the package from Sally Mae and plopping down onto her down-feather-filled couch. After a few moments, Skye sat forward, reading the note from the Knights intently. Jumping up, she threw her wrap back around her shoulders and dashed out the door with Sally Mae watching her with a concerned look on her face.

***​

“Avalon!” Skye called out before entering the mage's home.
    “Down here!” Avalon called out. He was in his cellar and surrounded by flasks, scrolls and reagents.
    “This isn't good, governor,” the mage said shaking his head. “I've never seen anything like it before.” Holding out a plate, he pointed to the sample taken by the Knights. The vine drooped off the side of the plate.
    “When this arrived, it was barely 2 inches in length,” he said. “It grows at a very fast rate, without the need of water or even soil – and watch this!”
    Avalon took a rat out of a cage and placed it near the plant. The vine lashed out, its thorns sinking into the rat's body. Within a few seconds, the rat appeared to deflate.
    “It...it drained it,” Skye watching in fascination and horror. Avalon nodded and the picked up a knife and stabbed the vine. “Smell that?” he said.
    Skye wrinkled her nose.
    “How could I not?” she said placing her hand over her nose.
    The pierced vine gave off a smell that reminded Skye of death and rotting flesh.
    “What are they? Are they magic?” she asked Avalon, still staring at the drained rat.
    “They aren't natural, for sure,” he said, returning the sample into a locked box. “I think cursed somehow. But only a very strong witch or warlock could conjure up this type of evil. However, according to the Knights, the heaviest spawn seemed to be near the gypsy's home.” “Well, I don't think it's staying in Paws,” she said looking at Avalon, remembering the vine outside of her home.
    It wasn't the ale.
    “I'll send my findings to the Knights and Blaine tonight,” Avalon said.
    Skye returned home once again home, but this time she wasn't smiling.

Cinder, Sir., Keltonator and 2 others like this.
  10. Sir.

Sir. Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2016
    Sir Rendlesham

*Back at the Knight's HQ, the Commander finds himself up in his crow's nest rifling through letters sent to his tower by raven (the ones that the Orcs did not shoot down on their way to him that is; thankfully they can hardly read to decipher anything from the lost messages)... As he pages through a small stack, he comes across the Governors Seal of Trinsic... The Commander reads hastily and sits back in his chair, not surprised at the findings, but concerned for the welfare of the Villagers in Paws, and Trinsic next... He stands up and calls for an officer whom promptly appears, ready for orders.*

Commander: Sergeant, I need ye to call the War Council for a meeting. We need our best tacticians and strategists to come up with a way to relieve the people of Paws from their affliction until the academies in Trinsic have discovered a way to dispel the abominations consuming their village.

Sergeant: Right away, Commander!

Commander: Thank you, Sergeant. I'll see ye in the War Room.

*The Commander pinches out the candle on his desk, gathers a few books and heads to the War Room where he and his men will begin to devise a way to effectively hold back the peculiar overgrowth the best they can.*

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017 at 6:27 AM
  11. Blaine the Gypsy

Jan 17, 2013
    Blaine the Gypsy
    Blaine sighs as he speaks to Tar the Barkeep after another round of cutting down the vines and over growth outside.
    Blaine: "It all started with my daughter Luka digging around the front yard of our home. If I knew she was digging so deep I would have stopped her. You see... during the years of Mondain there was a witch that lived right here in the Fens of the Dead. Back then it wasn't called the Fens of the Dead... it had a different name I don't remember, BUT it did not have the hauntings and horrible history it does to this day."
    [​IMG]

Tar: "Would you like a drink?"

Blaine: "No no no... thanks tho. Back to this witch... she was the most hated and feared witch because of her cruel use of sorcery. Even Mondain himself disliked her. She was basically exiled here to the swamp. She had a warlock husband who to this day still haunts the ruins just north of this place. He was burnt alive and buried there by a horde of angry wizards. She... I believe her name was Vona... was to be killed the same way, but it didn't happen that way. Instead she was wrapped in thorns, vines, and buried alive... deep within the ground between the two trees in front of this very place. At that moment a curse was placed upon her which would affect this whole swamp and it's history."
    [​IMG]

Tar: "Luka dug too deep."

Blaine: "And now the curse is becoming more powerful. I've looked myself and there is no body where she was buried. The day I lost my pipe I saw her in my reflection in the swamp. I ran for my life."

Tar: "That's where you went... we were worried something happened to you."

Blaine: "No. I'm fine. Now the knights know as well as Trinsic. I fear that this is spreading south to Trinsic as well." A bigger sigh "Well I need to get back to cutting down the plants."

Tar: "Careful out there."

Blaine heads outside already hacking at vines at the door. He makes his way to the two trees and finds a surprise. Leaning against a tree was his pipe he lost. He looks around in a very very paranoid manner and grabs the pipe.

Whispers come from everywhere grow louder and louder. Blaine grabs his chest because his heart is beating so hard and fast. Then he hears...

Vona: "YOU'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!"
    [​IMG]

Cinder, Sir., Rick Steves and 4 others like this.
  12. Blaine the Gypsy

Jan 17, 2013
    Blaine the Gypsy
    [​IMG]

She's coming to find you...​

Sir., Cinder and Hexoplex like this.
  13. Blaine the Gypsy

Jan 17, 2013
    Blaine the Gypsy
    Summary
    It all started with a girl digging for treasure, unknowingly releasing a powerful evil of the past. This evil was cursed as was the land it laid upon. Soon after this innocent mistake, the curse took a stronger hold upon the Fens of the Dead. Its vegetation growing rapidly and wildly, taking hold over the small village of Paws and consuming the houses, this new cursed kudzu vine has no mercy upon the living. The gypsies learned of this curse growing, but all too late. It's already heading out of the swamps and into the Spiritwood and Trinsic. The Knights guild of the land learns of these events and investigates. Trinsic learns of it as well... and it's at their doorstep now. The Bane of the Fens of the Dead is Vona the Witch -- a power from the past even Mondain avoided.

Hexoplex, Sir., Shane and 2 others like this.
  14. Blaine the Gypsy

Jan 17, 2013
    Blaine the Gypsy

Tune of the Bane of the Fens by Blaine the Gypsy
    The End... on my end... For now...​

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017 at 2:28 PM
    Sir. likes this.
  15. Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

Dec 6, 2014
  16. Sir.

Sir. Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2016
    Sir Rendlesham
    [​IMG]
    The following event occurred on 6-24-2017 on behalf of much hard word and time invested by @Blaine the Gypsy and the UOF Staff to make this possible, as well as many participants to help test it out. A HUGE thank you to all who put in all the work to enrich the game we still love 20 years after its making! Huzzah!!

The Knight's caught word of a State of Emergency in the Village of Paws that threatened Trinsic. Immediately, they left the War Room with what plans they had time to discuss and set out to do battle with something they still did not know... Worse yet, they had been fooled as the evil had set it's sights on Trinsic, and not Paws directly! Onward they rode to the glorious gates of Trinsic as fast as they could, in fear for what they would find-
    [​IMG]

Yet they were too late to prevent the evil from breaching the cities walls. As the Knights rode into town with their companions from Paws, they found many of the Trinsic Guard and others battling what could only be constructs of an arcane magic thought to be lost and gone in a time when evil's roots grew ever-deep into the earth... Streets, shops, homes; all were infested with evil swamp creatures that sprung up from the ground beneath them!
    [​IMG]

Hacking and slashing their way through the town, they desperately tried to find the defenseless whom might have gotten trapped in the town, or in hopes of finding allies to band together with and fight back the horde of lashing vines and man-eating plants with legs!
    [​IMG]

As they slayed the abominations of nature, the Knights began to collect samples in hopes of finding a way to understand the source of magic behind this when it was all over and discover ways to beat yet another denizen of evil should it ever stick its ugly head through the soils of Britannia again...
    [​IMG]

It was then, that the General, @Rick Steves would lead our army through the town securing each area as we went, of course, starting with the tavern! Huzzah!!
    [​IMG]

When the Knight's burst through the doors of the Keg and Anchor, they were relieved to see the bartenders, waitresses and cooks fending off some of the creatures with what cutlery they had! As the Knights dispatched the creatures, they were rewarded with ales that gave them the boost they needed for what was waiting outside for them...
    [​IMG]

But alas! The massive blobs of rotting flesh and swamp muck were no match for the Knights on a few ales! Huzzah! Now that the tavern was clear, onto the Town Hall the Knights rode with Blaine at their side, pushing onward in hopes of finding the Trinsic Guard holding out a safe haven of some sort. Yet to their dismay, they found the same thing as everywhere else; evil plants! The Guard must have been focusing on the evil elsewhere -- at it's roots...
    [​IMG]

And just then, the Guard must have struck the heart of this evil as shockwaves were felt throughout the entire town as SHE manifested in the form of a paragon... Vona... Her screech was heard near the city gates, and so the Knights made a desperate dash to help their allies from where the horrible screams were coming from...
    [​IMG]

However, the magic that she had been storing up for so many years was unlike any have witnessed since her time; the time of Mondain the Wizard. With her, Vona the Witch brought the fires of hell and her mere presence alone was enough to send a man to his grave with one breath of her putrid rotting stench.. This was a threat to not only Trinsic, but all of Britannia, should her power be greater than all of the mages, warriors and beastmasters combined... Into the fires of hell we charged...
    [​IMG]

Her wrath was terrible and many were slain in an instant with her mighty spells of doom. She opened up a hole in the earth and released a horde of her minions that were not to be underestimated... As the Commander grasped his sword tightly, not 10 paces from the ancient witch, he locked eyes with her. Vona, grasping the head of a pink masked warrior, cackles as she snaps their neck while never breaking eye contact with the Commander. He charges as fire spews from her mouth, slashing through the minions with all of his might towards his target when BOOM!! Everything goes black... The Commander shakes his head as he finds himself up against a wall of a building, only to see body parts of minions scattered everywhere and what looks like the aftermath of a thousand explosion spells as adventurers at a safer distance than he begin cheering and gathering spoils from the battle...
    [​IMG]

But the Commander did not rejoice. He kept his cheers to himself as he slowly walked through the streets of town searching for his own missing and dead... The garrison of Knights that he entered town with and fought alongside to this point, were no longer at his side. They were all missing, and his worst fear was to find the missing... dead. Adventurers and townfolk begin to burn the corpses of the dead creatures everywhere as smoke and ash fill the air... The Commander marches on in search of his comrades...
    [​IMG]

As flames were doused and the dead gathered, the cries of women and children could be heard in the streets... It was a horrific scene that should surely scar the memories of the citizens of Trinsic who lived through it and the adventurers who were lucky enough to survive the atrocity performing their duties in aiding the invasion.
    [​IMG]

The pyres burned high in the city of Trinsic that night, for the streets were piled with corpses of the evil creatures that invaded their home, some 10 feet high. The Commander found his men, one by one, those who were not too injured to flee the battle before its end, giving him a large dose of relief, yet his worries were not dismissed... The Queen! Their Allies! The Commander sent his men who were in need to the healers and the rest to aid the injured and dying on the streets while he quickly makes his way to the Governor's office in a suppressed panic to check on the future Queen... On his way to her officer, through a smoke filled street, he begins to worry she may not be there and calls out for her majesty...

"Milady!? Lady @Skye Wolfbane !?"​

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017 at 7:59 AM
    Blaine the Gypsy and Steele'Dish like this.