T-Map Hunting

Alas

Adept
So i am looking for a little information.
I remember bits and pieces from T-Map hunting back in the day and would like to get back into it.
Do you need a lock-picker for all levels? Can magery unlock certain levels?
Once decoded can anyone read it?

Thanks for the information!

Dwyane Wade

Grandmaster
I believe GM Magery can unlock level 1 chests, so no you wouldn't need lockpicking for those. On OSI it was the first 2 levels, but I think it's different here. Just tested on a level 1 map, and I was able to dig up a chest from a map that was decoded by someone else

halygon

Grandmaster
So i am looking for a little information.
I remember bits and pieces from T-Map hunting back in the day and would like to get back into it.
Do you need a lock-picker for all levels? Can magery unlock certain levels?
Once decoded can anyone read it?

Thanks for the information!
To do all types of T-Maps you need the following:
GM Cartography (this one is contested as it seems you can decode high lvl maps at lower levels)
GM Lockpicking (hard to pick those top tier chests without lockpicking)
T-Map Runelibrary (use someone elses if you cannot afford one for your own personal use)

Additionally, you will want your character to have magery so you can gate out super heavy bags that contain all your loot.

I find it easiest to solo high level maps if you have provoke and/or taming (for tank pets).

No need for remove trap as you can use telekinesis once you have picked the lock.

Also with this character you can do dungeon chests since you will have lockpicking, which is a nice little income boost when not doing tmaps.

Yagyu

Adept
You only need 80 cart here from what I understand. Or even 75 maybe. I gm'd it before I tested it =/

halygon

Grandmaster
You only need 80 cart here from what I understand. Or even 75 maybe. I gm'd it before I tested it =/
Personally I hate uoforever builds so i go 7x or go home. I'm just a little old school I guess. But I hear folks get away with 80 carto...

Dwyane Wade

Grandmaster
Personally I hate uoforever builds so i go 7x or go home. I'm just a little old school I guess. But I hear folks get away with 80 carto...

This. In my opinion the extra 20 points isn't gonna really help in another skill, so I'd rather I see straight 100's :cool:

Snickle

Grandmaster
I have 70 cartography (show real) and can decode level 6s.
Being old school or not, staying alive is most important. In fact, everyone playing the game today is an old school player. That shouldn't restrict you from being better at the game. You can still make 8 skill templates. All of my pvmers have 8 skills with 4 of them being 60-90 (mostly all 80). For instance my Provo/macer has only 80 anatomy, 90 heal and 70 resist spells, allowing me to fit 60 magery in there to recall, g heal, teleport, invis, telekinesis, magic reflect, incognito and a lot more useful tactics.
Anyway...
I solo level 6 maps with this template:
120 provo
100 music
100 lock picking
100 magery
100 eval Intel
70 resist spells
70 cartographY
60 meditation
Without the 8th skill I was sitting at 0 resist spells. This was while I was working lock picking from 95-100. After I hit 100, I started doing level 6 maps and realized I couldn't solo then without resist spells. After some tinkering with templates, and testing meditation skill rates, I decided on the above template and never looked back ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Malkraven

Grandmaster
Hi i'm total new to uo and i like your t hunter build but skill cap is 700 how come you have 720?
You can raise the cap to 720 by eating a full set of powerscrolls 5/10/15/20 but it has to be a full set u cant do multiply +5's in diff skills. SO the first 105 u eat will raise the cap to 705 then when u eat the 110 for the same skill cap will raise to 710 and so on.

Dischordant

Apprentice
I hated the idea of stretching yourself out so thin as a t-hunter. So i made 2 characters on 2 accounts. One is the standard tamer build, the other is lockpicking, carto, fishing, hiding, stealth, archery, tactics. This means i can stand a screen away with my tamer, dig it up with my THunter alt and hide as it spawns. Then lockpick it, stealth away, and assist with dmg if a crazy paragon pops. And approach it clean with the tamer. Can easily knock out level 5s and 6s alone in under 5 minutes. Just make sure you stay on guard when you're looting. Every time you pick an item up out of the chest, it has a chance to spawn another mob.