Stealth Ship

Liz Killigrew

Apprentice
So, I was out fishing today and had a macro of scan the horizons looping. A ship pulled right up and fired at me without showing on the map. How is this possible? Yes, my macro was still running.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
What ship and who was the crew? What level is your ship? I know you don't run upgrades like Crow's Nest, which helps detect at longer ranges. Do you have a Tracker scanning?

Liz Killigrew

Apprentice
Actually I do use Crow's Nest, no I don't have a tracker and the name was Cheetos something or other. There were two people on my ship spamming scan the horizons and it never showed. I managed to get away, but not the other dude.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
Actually I do use Crow's Nest, no I don't have a tracker and the name was Cheetos something or other. There were two people on my ship spamming scan the horizons and it never showed. I managed to get away, but not the other dude.
@Oddeo
Cheeto "Fingers" Mainsail! Sounds like you got yourself the Finger!

But no, you didn't have Crow's Nest, not when we sank you. Tracking will give you a significant addition to your scanning range so you'll want a GM Tracker aboard to help with that. Also, your level will help with scanning distance as well. Plus, we often boost up to our prey to catch them by surprise, as we clearly did with you (making you think we were a "stealth ship").

In short, things to remember:
-Crow's Nest
-GM Tracking
-Level 10 Ship
-There be pirates!

Liz Killigrew

Apprentice
Just because I didn't have a crows nest that time does not mean I don't use it. I only use it when out looking for things to sink not fishing for MIBs and nets. Further even if you boosted up to catch us by surprise your ship would still show on the map during the attack, which it didn't. Oh and I am not accusing Cheetos of anything, I was just curious if there was a way to make your ship stealth. It must have been a bug.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
Just because I didn't have a crows nest that time does not mean I don't use it. I only use it when out looking for things to sink not fishing for MIBs and nets. Further even if you boosted up to catch us by surprise your ship would still show on the map during the attack, which it didn't. Oh and I am not accusing Cheetos of anything, I was just curious if there was a way to make your ship stealth. It must have been a bug.
It wasn't a bug, either. The scanner works fine. Only "stealth" ships are pre-patches from years ago, and they don't have cannons on them.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
Well then a glitch because I highly doubt two people failed to see a red dot.
Wasn't a glitch, either. If you don't have a Crow's Nest, GM Tracker and a Level 10 Ship, your scanner is extremely limited. Add in the fact we boosted and you may have seen nothing one moment, and still nothing the next, as we were so close to your ship your blip could overlay ours. The recording has you scanning every 2 seconds, it looks like, long enough to close the distance before your scanner truly picks us up.

Liz Killigrew

Apprentice
I'm so glad you can see what I was looking at on my screen. Your recording shows one thing but it doesn't mean it's what was on my computer nor what I saw. I am sure if I can catch other ships approaching while not using a crows nest and the same scanning interval, then I would catch yours as well. Without tracking and a crows nest, the red dot still shows up a fair distance from my dot.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
Instead of working towards increasing your scanner range and taking advice from a guild that had 111 naval engagements between mid-October and November (after that it was too much of a pain in the ass to keep counting), say it was a stealth ship, a ghost upon the water, an apparition. Guess we'll see how that works out for you.

Liz Killigrew

Apprentice
Not possible, huh? Explain this then. As you can see I am actively scanning and tracking the ship in front of me and boom no red dot on the map. So, again how is it possible to have a "stealth ship"

0lKmcEs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
Not possible, huh? Explain this then. As you can see I am actively scanning and tracking the ship in front of me and boom no red dot on the map. So, again how is it possible to have a "stealth ship"

0lKmcEs.jpg
Check your starboard battery. You have seven guns. Now check your port battery - eight guns. Notice something peculiar about your little "stealth ship"?

It has your eighth gun.

4oocPSg.jpg

This happens when pre-patch ships rub against or turn against a post-patch ship; the old mechanics will actually grab your guns off of your boat. These same glitches are why pre-patch ships will sometimes throw the crew into the water when turning, as the old mechanics couple momentum and direction while current ships are decoupled (you can face independently of the ship's movement). There is a funny picture (or maybe a clip from one of our videos) showing one of our guns actually hanging off of our ship by about 5-6 tiles because of this.

Again, that was a pre-patch ship. That cannon you see there cannot exist on a current ship because it's too far aft for the battery. Call a GM to have them remove the unsinkable, unscannable ship, and they will.

Liz Killigrew

Apprentice
Oh good explanation, but unfortunately I did not catch the name of the ship and when the players recalled the ship seemed to go with them. It was a very odd encounter to say the least and the only way I found them was through tracking.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
You can't sink them, but often times you can outrun them (and thus catch up to them, as well). Cannonballs still work against the players on board, as do arrows; just don't rely on the firefields to do the dirty work.

Liz Killigrew

Apprentice
another question for you. Last night my scan the horizons was working perfectly fine. Today, no matter how long of a pause I put between each scan the horizons I get the following message: "the horizons must wait to be scanned" and my map doesn't update.

Liz Killigrew

Apprentice
Never mind, I was just informed by a GM there is a cool-down on its reuse....timed it to 60 seconds :-(

Last edited by a moderator: