1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Server Currently Down, Please READ.

Discussion in 'News Archive' started by Shane, Jun 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shane

Shane Guest

Hey everyone,
    Today is probably the worst possible day in Ultima Online Forever history.
    This will be another one of those bumps that UOF will get over and continue on as we always do, I promise you that.

Recently one of our developers made a change to the way saves are handled on Ultima Online Forever. What this change basically did is corrupt every WORLD SAVE that has initiated in the last TWO days. So, the server hung up on an error, and upon fixing that error, and rebooting to the latest save was found to be corrupt, and the save before that, and before that ... and so on...

What does this mean?
    Basically it means we will have to do a two day revert.
    I cannot tell you how disappointed i am in this error, and that developer.
    We have since let that Developer go permanently, before this even happened for various reasons and we will for now, only have ONE developer, ADAM.
    I want to note that this was NOT an intentional error.

I can't express enough how sorry we are for this, we know you guys value your play time here, and losing that much play time will feel like a complete waste.

I want to ENSURE everyone that THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN.
    We will be putting in some serious precautionary steps to back this up. We will be having more restarts, and testing world-saves more often.

We will do everything in our complete power to make this right.

Again, I apologize deeply for this, and i hope everyone understands as we are taking this very, very seriously. Even large corporation games like World of Warcraft has had larger reverts than this. We will get passed this, and we will continue to do our absolute best for you guys.

We cannot unfortunately replace anything you have lost in the last two days. As much as i wish we could, we have no valid saves to prove anything otherwise.

Those who have donated in the last TWO days will have their donation coins replaced of course. We will be putting on some events, and doing a handout for this as well.

The server will be back up in a little bit of time here, we first want to be 100% sure we cannot salvage the last save. All hope isn't lost, but it doesn't look great.

Regards,
    Shane

UPDATE:
    We will be bringing up the server soon. We will be initiating a process giving everyone ONE FREE character slot. Also we will be handing out an item to exemplify how appreciative we are of our dedicated players on every character on every account. Also starting this FRIDAY we will have some sort of Skill BOOST and Gold Boost.

We may have more updates to come here, but our main focus is getting the server up, and running smoothly, and ensuring saves are working properly (as of now they are, we will be watching carefully!)

UPDATE TWO:
    Server is being booted back up now.
    Extra character slots will be applied when we input the command to do so. (Already tested as working).
    We will do a handout in due time here.
    I will be working on replacing the donation coins lost during this revert, please be patient.

Skill Gain Bonus and Loot Bonus will start THIS FRIDAY, and go until THIS SUNDAY.
    The skill gain bonus probably won't be as large for taming, poisoning, etc... (The harder skills). There will be a bonus however still.

We will also have a two week quest coming very soon for everyone.

Hopefully this will be enough, with a side of "we are sorry" to compensate for this error.

Thank you guys so much those who have been more than understanding, it means a ton to us. When things like this happen it really tests us, and the players here and shows us just how loyal you guys can be. We are grateful for that, and we appreciate that.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    15 people like this.
  2. EllEssDee

EllEssDee Master

Jul 24, 2013
    Sick. (First)

3. K A Z

K A Z Grandmaster

Feb 26, 2013
    it's all good as long as you leave that poor little pitbull alone

2 people like this.
  4. PalleB

PalleB Apprentice

May 11, 2014
    I hope we get apples!

5. Malkraven

Malkraven Grandmaster

Oct 8, 2013
    Goodluck!

6. Hugsforpeace

Hugsforpeace Apprentice

Jun 18, 2013
    Meh, like the kids cry. This shit happens in real life for major corporations. If someone is butt hurt about code getting corrupted, they should probably just not be using a computer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. Knightsodyssey

Knightsodyssey Master

Apr 30, 2014
    Shit happens shane! Glad you guys are taking steps to prevent it from happening again. I recommend giving everyone a scroll that will gm one skill and I bet everyone will pipe down ha!

4 people like this.
  8. Shane

Shane Guest

also, taking idea's on what we can do for you guys in the next two days, BOOST Skill gain and LOOT ?

10 people like this.
  9. Kopogero_x

Kopogero_x Expert

May 25, 2014
    Kopogero x
    Shane, if this is indeed true I'll lose at least a million. Shane, there is one thing you can indeed do and that is reward all who've partook during this time with some special/unique blessed clothing to repay the damage.
    A sash, robe, half apron something like "I survived the Apocalypse". If you have a system to track statistics like wealth/playtime, etc. that player accumulated/invested during this period to add different hue colors for example on it, would be even better.

I suggess you use one week of discussion with your staff and find a way to reward all those who've been victims to this "accordingly". Boosting skill gains and loot helps to those who've been working on skills, but not all worked on skills or gained loot/wealth equally.

If you're boosting loot temporary most will be involved to temporary rip and benefit from this to the maximum. Server will be in a bigger mess with far less space to even farm and in the process many will be left without anything to farm. This will also benefit more players who've not been active/victims to this revert.

Later on this is what I came up as improved suggestion:

"The most reasonable and fair compensation would be an unique named item [preferably with the same name so it can be identified] PLAYERS CAN PICK FROM like a [blessed] clothing, a house decoration unique.
    I'm strongly against some of these changes though that were mentioned like:
    Extra chr slot. It would do further dmg in the long run to the economy.
    Skill gain boost. It would devaluate the value of certain skill scrolls as well the overall market on skill scrolls. Since those who have and have not gained skills will benefit when this is in effect. That is why I also noted that there are multiple items players could choose so tailors for instance are not effected by only one clothing item.
    As I mentioned above what would be nice is if the staff can track players activity and based on their time spent to be rewarded with unique hue colors on these items. At least we can all agree that our time should be equally valued for everyone, regardless of what we've lost during the time we've invested playing the game. I'm also aware that some might had afk chrs while this happened that were online, but it's still the best solution."

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
  10. OldManJoe

OldManJoe Expert

Aug 9, 2013
    dont do blessed cloth.. mabey do some skillballs or something..

2 people like this.
  11. Shane

Shane Guest

I guess i should add i don't want to hear about what you lost. I know for a fact people lost a lot of stuff...
    Makes me cry.

14 people like this.
  12. noobs705

noobs705 Grandmaster

Aug 10, 2013
    I VOTE ONE BLAZE YARD as a handout and well fuck i cant think of anything else. Oh and a sad sad song to go with all the tears that will be shed.

2 people like this.
  13. Akillah

Akillah Grandmaster

Mar 18, 2013
    Akillah, Ruby Red, Janis Joplin
    Music video song for our sorrows! Should boost skill gainz one day this weekend. :D

3 people like this.
  14. Matthew II

Matthew II Journeyman

Apr 5, 2014
    Skill balls would be niceā€¦..

4 people like this.
  15. bzkl13

bzkl13 Apprentice

Mar 20, 2014
    Damn and I just GMed cooking!

2 people like this.
  16. Dwyane Wade

Dwyane Wade Grandmaster

Feb 12, 2013
    Ouch! It happens I guess

17. Crimson Exodeus

Crimson Exodeus Journeyman

Apr 13, 2014
    Holy Crap! I just remodeled a guild vendor house big time. And was half way done doing a new rune library there :( this is such a giant nightmare for me... :( sooo much work... soooooooooooooo much time waisted

18. noobs705

noobs705 Grandmaster

Aug 10, 2013
    oh and somone crazy one day one time dono item for 1k dono coins thanks!

19. Patricus

Patricus Master

Jun 2, 2014
    Patricus, Malleus, Hesphaestus, Domitian
    Just do a commemorative item for this event and lets call it what it is. Eventually we will all be able to laugh at it...

7 people like this.
  20. G13xHaze

G13xHaze New Member

Jun 18, 2014
    Gee Thirteen, Haze El Nut
    I guess I picked a bad time to join this server. Sunk a lot of time into my characters and I'll be basically back to zero..

I vote for increased loot + skill gains.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.