1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Regarding VPN's

Discussion in 'News Archive' started by Shane, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kareem

Kareem Grandmaster

Aug 27, 2013
    On a positive note, POWER is down to two members from 4. Which means after hour champing as been resumed!

4 people like this.
  2. kurtis

kurtis Grandmaster

Oct 2, 2013
    Housing plots are probably only one of the issues. I'm sure people use VPN's to have two dozen tailors for BOD collection, etc etc etc

3. tap that thang

tap that thang Master

Feb 12, 2013
    We have 3 aussies and 1 Filipino, all 4 of us rely on lowerping to play, with the Filipino being crazy lagged with the last server move.

This no VPN thing means any aussie player is ruined, and some Euro's would be depending where they are.

I'm guessing easily 50 active players get owned by this? possibly more?

No bs, we can't play without lowerping/wtfast.

We need to be verified, or simply watch the IDOCers more closely. Considering how worthless plots are, im surprised it is much of an issue.

4. Kareem

Kareem Grandmaster

Aug 27, 2013
    I don't think you can win this one shane. I do think the shit people do with vpn's is rediculous but what ya gonna do.

5. kurtis

kurtis Grandmaster

Oct 2, 2013
    Are they going to watch all BOD collectors too? And fisherman? The problem isn't limited to housing.

I honestly don't know where I lie on this issue, but I'm willing to bet Shane put a lot of thought into his decision. And I'm sure he knew this would affect the aussies....sorry to say lol

6. Kareem

Kareem Grandmaster

Aug 27, 2013
    Time to find uolove and get sponsored.

7. tap that thang

tap that thang Master

Feb 12, 2013
    Last time i checked fishing isn't overly lucrative, hell i have 120 and dont even bother with it. Maybe once a month i fish a few mibs?

If bod runners were such a big deal, then how come even gold runics are beyond rare?

Likewise with housing, there are vacant plots, and the value of 18x18's is bloody low, even castles don't fetch much.

A simple compromise would be in order to use a vpn you must register your account/character names? (if it is THAT big of a deal).

8. Kareem

Kareem Grandmaster

Aug 27, 2013
    I blame the Italians.

9. SidX

SidX Grandmaster

Jun 4, 2014
    Sid
    I have to agree.. I mean, I am 100% behind getting rid of the house hoarding issue.. I also vote and support resolving the issues due to multiple accounts and BOD hoarding. But there are ways around those issues that don't involve isolating virtually the entire international playerbase.

I think the solution to so many of these problems is time randomization. Instead of having a strict 6-hour timer for BOD collection, randomize it. Once 6 hours is up, your next point of eligibility is random. It may be 6.0 hours, or 7.2 hours, or 11.7 hours. Once that time is reached, you'll be eligible for a new BOD. It is incredibly easy to script BOD collection if the timer is known...

Like the BOD timer, randomize the time that players must wait before placing on a collapsed IDOC lot. When an IDOC falls, the ground should not be open for new placement for a random amount of time. This should be a minimum of 4 hours. For part of the same reason the IDOC timers were changed recently, if you feel the plot is worth waiting for then you need to wait until it becomes available.

The multiple account issue... there will always be ways around this. I can think of five ways off the top of my head other than VPN that somebody could use to connect to UOF with a new IP. It is very simple with even a vague knowledge of IT. It is one of those things you can literally never stop.

Blocking VPN connections is just not the solution in my mind. Obviously I don't see everything that happens in the background here on UOF, so the admins may know a lot more about the issue, but once the international players quit there will be a drastic hit to the guilds on UOF, which will trickle down the strength of the economy, and ultimately the entire shard.

7 people like this.
  10. parsnip

parsnip Grandmaster

Jul 11, 2013
    This is incredibly harsh on those who legitimately use the VPN services and if the decision stands I think it will result in a lot of people quitting. I manage to survive with my 180ms but with the recent lag issues I had considered using a VPN service.

Do we really need to go through the repeated cycle of a few d-bags ruining the fun for everyone? There must be a way to verify people who have a real requirement for such VPN services.

4 people like this.
  11. Kareem

Kareem Grandmaster

Aug 27, 2013
    A lil more positive, Baracoon has decided to take a "leave of absence". This is gotta be a win-win right? Champing throughout the day for EVERYONE! Forgot to mention, no more energy vortexes at idocs. EVERYONE is a WINNER

2 people like this.
  12. kurtis

kurtis Grandmaster

Oct 2, 2013
    Hopefully a compromise can be reached. I'd hate to see active players stop playing.

But the registration process you suggested is probably inadequate. What's to stop you from registering another 3 accounts as a "different" player? VPN's hide who the original user/IP is - that's one of the major values of a VPN. That's the whole issue with VPN's - there's really no way for the server to tell who is actually behind the login/registration. It all shows up as the VPN's IP address.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2014
  13. edw3rdwood

edw3rdwood Grandmaster

Jun 15, 2014

+10000, these are actually fantastically good suggestions that should be added to the shard regardless

14. parsnip

parsnip Grandmaster

Jul 11, 2013
    Don't know much about BODs but agree on the housing timer. Empty plots should decay faster, requiring hoarders to sell, trade, design or risk replacement. If a plot gets traded X number of times in a week or has a single wall as its design, mark it as suspicious.

15. Kareem

Kareem Grandmaster

Aug 27, 2013
    Oh snap that never got activated

16. parsnip

parsnip Grandmaster

Jul 11, 2013
    Indeed! I think that is what makes this more frustrating. Let's face it, we're not exactly dealing with criminal masterminds here. I'm quite confident that the VPN abusers can't even be bothered to use unique passwords for their accounts.

The account creation process makes it far too easy for multiple account shenanigans to take place. Heck, even IRC requires you to verify your email address.

At the very least there should be a requirement to verify an account. In an ideal scenario, you would be required to record (in a web app?) which accounts are yours. If you don't register within X period, your account gets deactivated or deleted.

17. Spacejam60

Spacejam60 Master

Mar 1, 2013
    this doesnt effect me directly however several close European uo friends simply need vpns to play this will effect the shard dramatically

18. Jani

Jani Grandmaster

Jul 29, 2014
    This isn't good. I believe you're going to lose a lot of players, just because certain players are abusing the rules.

2 people like this.
  19. kyleakira

kyleakira Master

Aug 19, 2014
    Kyle Akira
    Is that explaining my 4 seconds lag that I had 12 hours ago?

I couldn't even PvM with that lag. I don't use any kind of VPN btw, but I live in Europe.

What ping will Eupeans have when the server migrates? I am ok at ~200ms

20. lollo

lollo Grandmaster

Oct 14, 2014
    RunYourDead / GoogleMyName / Superlollo / a wandering dealer

lol

this won't even affect me, i ping 130-140 without using VPN anyways

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.