1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recent patch, down time, revert, halloween event and handout.

Discussion in 'News' started by Shane, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    Hey everyone,
    As you all have been more than aware we have had some weekend here on Ultima Online Forever.
    It's been rough to say the least.
    What has happened is we implemented a rather large patch, while also updating older issues AND updating .NET all at once. Pretty much every single thing had a small issue in one way or another, it was just the fact that we implemented it all at one single time and some unforeseen bugs came to surface.

To say the least, we are sorry for this and the down time. We know everyone gets frustrated when there is down time here and there. I think the fact that we set the bar very high and everyone has came accustomed to such a good service, is why people tend to get more upset at times when server problems do happen.

For now, we have reverted the recent patch.
    We will re-implement it in smaller increments one at a time while we take feedback.
    The Halloween event is canceled, we feel at this time we just have more important things to look at.

We will be doing a handout for the downtime and Halloween Tomorrow, the 3rd of Nov.

Again, we apologies for all of this and thank you for those who have been more than patient.

Regards,
    Shane

35 people like this.
  2. kurtis

kurtis Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2013
    No problemo. Thanks for the update.

4 people like this.
  3. DubeeAshtray

DubeeAshtray Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Dubee
    xXkuruptXx
    Po boy
    is it going to be a global handout? And thanks for everything.

2 people like this.
  4. JackPalance

JackPalance Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2015
    JackPalance
    Thanks for all you guys do-

4 people like this.
  5. Belgarath

Belgarath Active Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Thanks for the update. Even though issues like this can be frustrating, I think you all do an outstanding job and appreciate the fact that I get to play UO on such an awesome server. Keep up the outstanding work! :)

4 people like this.
  6. Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post

We will think about this, problem with global handouts is they basically are no better of much of a reward than say a pair of scissors since there will be so many of them.

That's why we always do it for whos online at the time. It will be in the evening, around this time tomorrow night.

11 people like this.
  7. Easy Cheese

Easy Cheese Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2013
    NP Shane! This is me on Halloween weekend with limited UOF.
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  8. Blaine the Gypsy

Blaine the Gypsy Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Blaine the Gypsy
    Shard got messed up and still played. Why? Because UOF is home.
    @Shane a suggestion.
    Do the handout like a conquest by date/time. Those who actually logged in during that period of time get the conquest reward/handout. That way you don't get every character bogged down with an item.

9. Metal Militia

Metal Militia Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Orgon
    Magiikus
    Chazer
    Hello all at UO. Thank you for the update and thank you for all you do! Love the game and love the approach. Things happen.

However, I do want to voice my opinion on the handout (simply for consideration - I'm good either way UO staff decides). Here is what crosses my mind; having to be logged in to get the handout is not quite right. I play every day (almost), but it happens that I cannot be online tomorrow evening. Maybe at 11PM CST..... This means no handout.... Again; not an issue for me. I am sure I am not alone, however. One way to address this is to perhaps have a token form handout where you have to log in within 24 hours from the time the handout is given. This will give everybody a fair chance to get it. Those who do not log in regularly and have not played in a while will most likely miss out - there again, this is in line (in part at least) with the reasoning why not to do a global handout. After all, when the revert happened, not all folks who played that day were on, but the revert applied to them also. This is my 2 cents worth!

Thank you so much for your hard work and efforts! Cheers.

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  10. LoNE WoLF

LoNE WoLF Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2015
    vXLoNEWoLFXv
    Or do what pretty much everyone else will who can't be on. Leave your accounts running.

2 people like this.
  11. Garillo

Garillo Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Bluegrass - Mage/Bard
    Cajdad - Crafter
    While unexpected downtime is frustrating, communication and some transparency always goes a long way. Much appreciated post.

12. Young Star

Young Star Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Bryden Rivers, YoungStar, Young Star, Tom Sevenstreams
    how bout those that couldn't log in because server was down?

2 people like this.
  13. Blaine the Gypsy

Blaine the Gypsy Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Blaine the Gypsy
    *Shrugs* Do the whole month of October then.

14. ProdigyOsi

ProdigyOsi Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Calsifer [Werkt] - Guild Leader
    should give out a random item that would have come from the cauldron event.

15. Messremb

Messremb Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2013
    so i lost a 105 Inscribe PS again, this time cause the code was removed, am i just SOL like i was for the 5 portal fragments i lost?

kinda frustrating cause i lost it once to a revert, then got lucky and got it back, and now its gone again.

either way, thanks for the hard work. if you need someone to help test things on he test server let me know.

16. the flube

the flube Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    if you're doing a handout it might as well add something to the server by atleast stimulating the economy a bit

there will be zero market for whatever you hand out, since it's announced beforehand and there will be 1000+ of it

hoping you prove me wrong and this one doesn't end up being worth 25k and does nothing but add to the item count

also, shouldn't the cauldron event be finished? or atleast allow people to slay the bosses you guys spent time coding? people spent 3 hours farming and dying to mobs on Halloween for no reason

5 people like this.
  17. lollo

lollo Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2014
    RunYourDead / GoogleMyName / Superlollo / a wandering dealer
    What about the people Who paid 50k For the pk tracking crystal?

18. wreckognize

wreckognize Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    50k is a small sacrifice for better quality gaming.
    Besides im sure the handout will cover most people losses.

flube brings up a good point. I think a remedy could be having the handout be diff for diff people. like a 1/100 chance at something cool, 1/10 chance at something a bit less cool, then the large majority could get the same thing 89/100 or something

or just yard of blaze for everyone

19. Belge

Belge Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Maybe, a nice dono vendor update, for us euros that can't stay up into all wee hours of the night :)

7 people like this.
  20. bane

bane Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Since we have an accessible test server now (good job guys) would be good if we have announcements when new changes are on there. I haven't been able to play a lot lately but I didn't see anything regarding these changes. You have a really good community here so I am sure that if you announce that there are some changes on the test server and provide information on how those changes should work you will get a lot of free testers. I know that if I have a little spare time I would hop on and test stuff out.

It is is much better if you delay events (still do them if you need more time) and content updates to work out kinks rather than rush changes and cause downtime. We all understand that this isn't your full time job and we all appreciate the effort you put in but I believe you will catch a lot less grief from delaying content/events than rushing things before they are tested. Just my 2 cents.

4 people like this.