1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recent attacks, and an open letter to whom it may concern.

Discussion in 'News Archive' started by Shane, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    As most of you know we've been under a denial of service attack over the last few days as updates shown here:
    http://www.uoforever.com/attack.php

This is in regards to an anonymous letter from a masked person that seems to have a deep angry issue with me and my personality. This same anonymous masked person claims to be the one who has been responsible for our recent attacks on our server. His request was simple : "What do I want? Not much. I want shane to repent. I want him to see the damage he has done to the community and I want him to appologise for it and promise to change in the future. Simples. I will then stop the attack."

Let's see if he is true to his word, because this is obviously about me personally as he did not go into specifics, and not our community (which he is currently hurting).

Either way keep in mind UO FOREVER will keep going, and attacks or not, we will do absolutely whatever it takes to keep this community strong at any and all costs.

-----------

First off, let me say that I love this game. I would have never started this server if I didn't. I have played almost all the major player-run shards since I stopped playing on the official servers. UO Forever is my last hope at keeping the nostalgia of the world we all came to love for the emotion, dedication, and depth that no other game has ever matched.

Throughout these two years, I have experienced the excitement and the dreads that come with a server. The initial land rush to the 5 a.m. messages — “THE SERVER IS DOWN.” It has been nothing short of amazing. To watch a vision come to fruition and sometimes even see what the team has made for the first time with the community. From arguing about one point of damage on an Ebolt to how entire systems can be remade, we have all been together.

This isn't a UO server; it is a community. The posts on the forums and the late night IRC chats are more fun than playing sometimes. We have had births, maybe even deaths. Disasters, problems, losses, reverts and triumphs have made these two years nothing short of amazing. We have done it together. Without players there is no game and with no guidance or change there is no future.

There have been rocky moments, players have been banned, reverts, and apologies. I have said things I regret and other things I could have said better. I have said things that should have been left unsaid. I take responsibility for all those things. This game inspires passion and I am no different than any other player in that regard. Do I sometimes think I know everything, when in fact, I do not? Yes. Do I tend to sometimes have an ego when writing things on the Internet? Yes, there is no doubt. I have noticed these things about me, awhile ago now, and have been working on such things even in real life. We are all human, and no one is perfect and I am not one to ever say I do not have faults of my own, because I do - we all do.

What the attacker is doing here is not harming me. If he thinks people are quitting, they are not. If he thinks that this will make me furious because we aren’t receiving donations during this time? It is not.

What the attacker is doing, more than anything, is hurting this very community, not me. He has created more enemies than I have ever done by doing this one thing. I am not frustrated, and I am not upset. However, the community is, and I would do anything for this great community, which is why I wrote this letter. So what I ask, is to keep them out of this.

What I have never done is harm another server. Never would I dream of attacking one of the few remaining places that people still come home to play. This isn't an attack on me, that may be the reason given but it isn't me who can't play — it’s the players. It’s the game itself. If you don’t like me, I am OK with that; however let’s move on and see where we can take this game into the next 10 years, based not on personalities but on imagination, innovation and dedication.

This game has always been about getting knocked down and getting back up and doing it again. We will continue regardless, moving or otherwise until our players can play again.

I want to thank you all, our community, for staying with us and continuing to build such amazing and enduring memories here on Ultima Online Forever.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2015
    73 people like this.
  2. Wildtamer

Wildtamer Grandmaster

Nov 21, 2014
    Wildtamer
    Well said

3 people like this.
  3. Peav

Peav Grandmaster

Feb 8, 2013
    Go get em' champ.

2 people like this.
  4. parsnip

parsnip Grandmaster

Jul 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

10 people like this.
  5. Modus

Modus Master

Nov 2, 2014
    Sums up everything in UO, sir. Nice Letter. I'm glad I play here now. The last 3 month were amazing.

2 people like this.
  6. EnviousGL

EnviousGL Grandmaster

Jul 22, 2013

LONG LIVE UOF

4 people like this.
  7. Kaydon Bhey

Kaydon Bhey Novice

Dec 25, 2014
    Kaydon Bhey
    As I do not understand the machinations of the internet in detail, is there a way to flat out stop this asshole? It sounds as though someone knows who this someone is.. just sayin'.

8. vitopsp

vitopsp Apprentice

Sep 10, 2013
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  9. amonseti

amonseti Grandmaster

Apr 21, 2014
    @Shane If you run for primeminister you have my vote !

3 people like this.
  10. Kaydon Bhey

Kaydon Bhey Novice

Dec 25, 2014
    Kaydon Bhey
    Would it be too much top label this person a Candy Ass Real Loser?... just askin. :)

11. Karl Sagan

Karl Sagan Grandmaster

Mar 14, 2013
    @Shane leave that fucking post up forever man, well said.

LONG LIVE U-O-F

9 people like this.
  12. Ethereal Corpse

Ethereal Corpse Master

Jul 30, 2013
    Great post shane :) never stop what you are doing here, there is a reason we are all here :)

2 people like this.
  13. kristina

kristina Master

Aug 30, 2014
    Great writing Shane! You have my loyalty!

4 people like this.
  14. Staff

Staff Young Player Help

Feb 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

31 people like this.
  15. SoftWind

SoftWind Journeyman

Sep 30, 2014
    SoftWind
    Chyanne
    Diamonique
    Ayashe
    Pawnee
    Shane...YOU Sir are a class act!!! I am so glad I found UO Forever!!! What a great community to come together to support your efforts. Truly amazing to say the least....

4 people like this.
  16. wreckognize

wreckognize Grandmaster

Jan 21, 2013
    I have a question for the DDOSER as well....

duel?? :p

4 people like this.
  17. God.RG

God.RG Grandmaster

Sep 26, 2013
    I lol'ed irl.

Great post shane.

6 people like this.
  18. Native

Native Novice

Dec 18, 2014
    Thank you for everything y'all have done throughout this. I appreciate it!

2 people like this.
  19. Lexington

Lexington Grandmaster

Feb 20, 2013
    Everyone is thinking it.... Carl is this you?

4 people like this.
  20. Dj Double D

Dj Double D Grandmaster

Jan 12, 2015
    Baby Goose, Dj Double D, Red Black, Junglistic Man, Admiral Awesome, SpAcE GhOsT...
    Whatever the intention was, it backfired indeed! If I've seen anything as a result of the last few days I would say I've seen a community, an online, adopted fambly if you will, come together in mutual support and resolve to do the right things... I've heard nothing but love and support for this, the greatest shard and the whole @UOF Team... and I'd be willing to bet 1k dono that the donation button is losing paint it's being hit so often in response to this attack on us. So I would suggest that whoever this jackknob is, you failed super duper hard, asshat! You galvanized this community as we banded together in mutual support and none of that positivity towards this shard would have existed but for the actions of a putulant, childish and egotistical jackass who didnt get what he wanted, and has now made us that much stronger... so in a backhanded kinda way thanks, idiot! You just keep f@#king up don't you?

10 people like this.