1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quitting smoking

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Maller, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Krayzed

Krayzed Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2015
    Got protein too!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

2. Ajaxe

Ajaxe Active Member

Sep 23, 2015
    So, I don't normally jump into this side of the forums, but iI saw this post and thought It was pretty awesome. I'm actually finishing up my degree in counseling with a specialty in addiction and recovery.

Here's the very, very short version. You can do it.

Here's the tldr version: an addiction of any kind is going to take some time to overcome. You need to figure out what triggers the cravings. By the way, understand that the cravings are coming from your brain, not the rest of your body. Chemicals fire off in your brain that creates a dependency and then an addiction. Unfortunately, for most drug and behavioral abuse, this takes years to repair. However! It does repair. And it starts repairing very soon after you quit.

Some tips: have your house or apartment cleaned, and clothes cleaned, this will get rid of a lot of the smells which can trigger a craving.

When you get a craving, perform stress breathing: breathe in through your nose for 5 seconds, hold for 3 seconds, breathe out through your mouth for 3 seconds, hold for 3. Repeat that for 3-5 minutes. Takes your mind off the craving.

Write down anything that triggers a craving, avoid those things if you can. If it's something like stress or work, try to change your life in little ways to be less stressed.

Get accountable with as many people as possible. The more people who will help you stay off cigarettes, the better.

There are a few thousand other things, but these are a few. You can do it man, once your brain gets clear of the nicotine for a few more weeks it will start to get a lot easier.

Pulling for ya.

8 people like this.
  3. Kilike

Kilike Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    For me it wasn't smells or stress, but routines that made it hard when i tried
    I found it helps pushing that first cig of the day off as long as possible, and generally isn't that hard to do. However after having the first, reaching for the second, third etc becomes so easy that it's impossible not to reach for it.

Eventually if you can push it off for 3 days, you can generally be done with it all together and after a week even the smell of cigs will turn you off. The worst part of it all was after my third day I got so insanely sick. Coughing up all that junk as my lungs cleared. Worth though.

Also it worked for my boy Fatts, to pick up an Ecig. I suggest getting just a basic cheap start kit about $10-15. Go into a store that sells them and generally they'll let you test out their juice, and suggest a decent MG of Nicotine to get. From there just keep lowering the amount of nicotine in the juice. This option really helps, as for me anyways, it wasn't that I ever craved a cig, but during load screens, or downtime I would reach for a cig. Instead of the cig you reach for your Ecig and it helps.

OH and don't let them talk you into whatever new fad Ecigs are on. Just get a basic Kanger Starter kit and a bottle or two of juice. You're not there to "chuck clouds", you just want to quit smoking.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2016
  4. Cinder

Cinder Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Dan, I know you can do this. :) You have the will and can make it happen. Proud to hear are back at kicking the habit again!! hugs you, cinni

2 people like this.
  5. TyraeL!

TyraeL! Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Hail and well met!!

I've never had an addiction to smoking. I did, however, have a very ridiculously out of control addiction to smokeless tobacco (dip) for something like 7-8 years. When I say out of control, I mean there were only a few instances in which I DIDN'T dip.

-when brushing my teeth
    -when eating

That's about it. Literally. I left dip in when I was intimate (in all ways) with my girlfriend, I'd pop it in first thing in the morning and leave it in immediately after brushing, always dipped when I drank and yes, I even fuckin' dipped when I slept. No shit. That was about the time I realized it needed to stop.

Just late this last month marked my 4 years of being clean of it which is crazy for me to think about.

That being said, I can tell you that there is absolutely no other way to deal with quitting apart from the coldest-ass turkey as turkey can get. I tried the weening thing and it worked worked for 2-3 months at a time but was just way too easy to convince myself to go back to it. Cold cut deli-thin sliced fuckin' turkey.

What helped me IMMENSELY (I think):

-gum, chewing lots and lots and lots of gum

Regardless of what some people say, I think cigarettes and dip and getting over them has a huge part in appeasing your oral fixation. I always had the cravings and whatnot but chewing gum and chompin' on toothpicks helped not only distract me but kinda take the edge off (while contributing to a healthier dental hygiene I might add). Within the last two years or so I've pretty much lost all interest in chewing gum (which I suppose is a good thing) but I'm very much a fan of flavored tea tree oil toothpicks, in general. Plus they're great for your teeth. For you, I would VERY seriously consider buying yourself some flavored toothpicks and utilizing those. I know there was some out there that are specifically marketed towards those trying to quit smoking but really you can just go out to some health food store and find some great tasting picks that will help a lot.

IT SUCKS but you gotta stick to it, and you can. Just concede that you might need some minor assistance via things like gum and toothpicks. Hell of a lot cheaper than dip or smokes I can tell ya that. Good luck.

2 people like this.
  6. mogleygull

mogleygull New Member

Jun 27, 2019
    Me too, I used to try many alternative ways of getting a daily nicotine dose before I eventually switched to pod systems. As for vendors, I primarily advise a marketplace where to buy pod kits http://mygadget.us/ - the most suitable one for beginners.

7. lollo

lollo Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2014
    RunYourDead / GoogleMyName / Superlollo / a wandering dealer

....aaaaaaand after 4 years of non smoking I started again

8. Bromista

Bromista Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2013
    I finally quit! I failed many times for many reasons. Will power just wasn't there despite a long-standing desire to quit. I replied to this thread 3 years ago, I think I was 3-4 years deep at the time so that was the middle of my longest stretch of smoking. Withdrawal was mighty unpleasant but I was smoke free for months despite being under a lot of stress. It was a rough time to quit but I persevered. Then shit really hit the fan so I smoked a pack on a trip and regretted it big time as the withdrawal was about the same. I try to think about that when I get cravings. Craving a cig right now, dammit. Working outside always did it to me, and I am back in the landscaping game so whatever I can deal with it.

In the end, it took me letting someone really truly awful into my life and showing me the kind of person that I didn't want to be. We had bonded over smoking and that association has helped keep me from looking back.

Key word: helped.