Q) Why do I still play UO? A) PKs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonedog

Neophyte
Seriously that is really the only reason I play this game. I might have come back to UO for a month or two but if it were trammel or pvm only or even pvp by choice I would have already left. And I don't run a red, and actually never have. I do pvp, pvm, champ spawns, the new boat stuff and am pretty excited that I finally have a meta pet.

I got pk'd 4 times today in like 3 hours of game play while leveling my meta and aside from being mildly irked when one of them took the extra time to kill my pets I was totally fine with it. Each time it was 1-2 reds and being on a provo-tamer with pets engaged I was doomed to die, and that is imho, fine.

what is totally not fun however is the Red Zerg that is now running wild on the server. There is pretty much nothing anyone doing pvm can do about them. There is basically no penalty to one of them dying and at this point the red zerg is big enough that no one is going to be able to consistently oppose them. Yeah there will be the occasional standoff at the brit bridge running back and forth casting FS, but pretty much anywhere people want to pvm they are screwed when the zerg rolls in. you aren't going to ever get 15 blues to babysit a tamer at the despise titan spawn. or the 25 or more it would take to work and defend a champ spawn (b/c 15 spread out and engaged blues cannot win vs 15 pk's)

I don't know what a solution would be, but if there isn't one found soon I fear that UOF is going to start to bleed blues at an astonishing rate. and if that happens UOF will lose the reds too b/c they don't want to fight themselves.

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
Great post, and yes we are well aware of the impacts of this.

We will be making some changes coming soon here as it seems the group of reds does not seem to want to part at all to make things more balanced.

They do play well, and behave well for sure. They just simply pk non stop it feels and we are at the point we are getting daily complaints about this large group.

It's really hard to make choices like this since ultima online directly pushes to be played with larger groups. However if there's no other larger groups to counter that, there is an imbalance. An imbalance like this can offset the entire server.

So we are looking at ways to remove no head cutting zones, and also possibly worse PK penalties as one of the larger problems is that these pk's, even if they die they have no loot barely, and instantly come back. There is an imbalance here and we will work to rectify it.

Tonedog

Neophyte
thank you for the reply, please keep in mind that whatever solution yall come up with should account for the fact that everyone has 9 free characters easily half or more of which can be red, so if cycling through reds is able to maintain the zerg then the issue isn't fixed

Miri

Apprentice
@Shane
how about turn on elemental resists and somehow force ppl to dress something?
for example add some kind of cape or robe with increased mana reg or dmg done\resis ign but it works if armor >= 30+ or just decrease ur overall dmg\manareg by 30-50% if u're naked
i think it can hit 2 birds with a 1 stone.
1) mages nerf coz of resists>make dexxers\archers more popular
2) force ppl to dress at least something so their resists not gona be 0
mb not directly those changes but something in this direction.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Ehh, there have been some imbalance issues here and there but you'll have that in a sandbox game. If it's not a group of douchebags being douchebags just to shit where they eat, it's a massive group of unskilled players shitting where they eat. Make it harder for them to compete, and they'll just roll with a bigger group (if that's even possible) which makes it hard to strike a balance sometimes.

I'm not sure wtf I just read in the above post, but it surely is not the solution anyone is looking for.

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
I just think one of the main issues is them being able to consistently come back after they die, and basically having no penalties for pking.

The system that we have now does work, it's just working too well at the moment. Just needs some tweaks, we are looking into different ways. It wasn't built in the idea really of a group of 20 reds all on at one time in the same guild.

Just growing pains.

FAMARA

Grandmaster
blue zerg guilds come 12 + deep to kill your pets with no consequences at all.
which is much more griefing then some reds coming to actually kill a player.

maybe u should limit number of players who can be in a guild/alliance all together.

FAMARA

Grandmaster
an even better fix i think would be joining a guild makes every character on your ip unable to join any other guild.

because at least HALF are in other guilds and just put a char into eqms.

Lexington

Grandmaster
Remove the bounty system all together... Remove reds from factions... and implement Adams short and long term semi perma stat loss system.
That way Pks will be true Pks with consequences and factions will be true consensual PVP.

Tonedog

Neophyte
before UO had trammel, if I remember correctly, dying with more than 5 short term counts meant permanent stat loss. we are on a pre trammel server, something like that could possibly solve the issue. say make short term counts take 4 hours to burn but if you lose your head with 5 or more short term the stat loss is permanent.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I used to be an advocate for perma-stat, but really it would probably just make things worse. PKs would probably just roll in bigger packs to reduce the risk of losing their head, and it would really only punish the PK's who are doing it "right" and roll solo or in small groups.

I have to assume famaras response is a joke. Not even going to touch the blue/red and pet killing statements, as that's the only thing he ever tries to do. But the IP thing and forcing players to only join one guild per IP is about as laughable as a suggestion can get. IP restrictions don't work, that shit causes problems for VPN users. Plus, way to try to destroy UO. Roleplayers both hardcore and casual, factioners, really just any UO player would suffer from that. Not everyone forces their guild members to quit all other guilds they are a part of like the paranoid famara does lol. For example, half of T^C has players in other guilds. I wouldn't dare force my guildmates to do anything they don't want to do.

The only way I can think of combating ganking without crippling the solo/small group players is to induce a sort of "attrition" by incurring instant stat loss on players who are ganking. The more players attacking a single target, the larger the reduction of their effectiveness.

It's a suggestion that has been thoroughly shat on, but what else can you do without crippling the little guys too?

Bromista

Grandmaster
Remove the bounty system all together... Remove reds from factions... and implement Adams short and long term semi perma stat loss system.
That way Pks will be true Pks with consequences and factions will be true consensual PVP.
Short term/long term is a good idea for sure. Reds out of TB/CoM and allowed in SL/Minax only the way it used to be would be neat, but that might be tricky as far as keeping factions balanced.

Tonedog

Neophyte
you could also make it so that short term "perma-loss" counts were only given in instances where there were more than say 2 pk damagers. that would incentivise smaller groups of pk's and only penalize the larger groups

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
Ridiculous to be talking about getting rid of the no cut zone. I mean do we want pvp on this server or not? How many champs get done a day and how many get raided by eqms?

@Tonedog how this solution: put a couple chars in eqms and farm on them.

@Shane I'd rather see player driven solutions to the red menace than heavy handed nerfs. Player driven solutions ARE out there and I think it's a bad idea to give in to stuff like this every time. Sometimes the squeaky when doesn't need grease it needs to be told to harden the fuck up.

Wrexx

Grandmaster
I honestly think people are making EQMS out to be more harmful then they really are. I farm a lot on my Provo tamer, more than 90% of anyone in this game. I have never come across EQMS while farming. The only time I have come across them is where I choose too. Brit bridge or recalling into where I know they are at.

Let them have their 3 weeks center stage. By mid April some other "devasting" game mechanic or group will be out. Just a few months ago everyone cried about POWERs tactics of blocking dungeon entrances and portals while pking.

Do not make any changes to the current pk system, it's fine for now. People honestly need to think a bit harder. This is coming from a Trammel Provo tamer.

Status
Not open for further replies.