1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*New PK (Murderer) Changes, and other updates

Discussion in 'News' started by Shane, Oct 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shane

Shane Administrator Staff Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    DISCLAIMER:
    THIS IS A NEW PLAYER KILLER/MURDERER SYSTEM THAT WE HAVE THOUGHT UP BASED ON OUR JOINTED YEARS OF EXPERIENCE FROM PREVIOUS PLAYER RAN SERVERS, ORIGINAL EA SERVERS, AND MULTIPLE OTHER MMO GAMES. WE ARE WANTING TO OPEN A DISCUSSION ON THIS SUBJECT, BUT KEEP IN MIND THAT STAFF SEES WHAT PLAYERS DO NOT. WE WOULD NOT BRING THIS UP IF IT WASN'T AN ISSUE THAT NEEDED TO BE ADDRESSED, AND WITH THAT WE EXPECT NOTHING BUT MATURITY WITHIN YOUR RESPONSES THAT SHOW YOUR VALUE AND LOVE FOR ULTIMA ONLINE FOREVER. TOPICS SUCH AS THIS ARE NOT ABOUT THE STAFF, YOU OR YOUR FRIENDS, IT'S ABOUT ALL OF US TOGETHER AS A COMMUNITY AND SHOULD BE SEEN, RESPECTED AND REPLIED AS SUCH.

As some of you may have heard or know, we plan to rehash the Player Killer or Murderer Penalties or System. What you may not know is that since Ultima Online Forever has originally launched, Player Killing has been the continuous unbroken record holding reason for people leaving our great world we have all created. We on staff, know that Player Killing is a NEEDED addition to this server, it creates amazing risk to blues, seeing a red as a blue can make you sweat and if you die to a red it will certainly make you emotionally upset. Ultima Online Forever is a passionate game, and with that passion comes very strong opinions. I want to note first and foremost that we on staff, or me, myself are not AT ALL against Player Killing. We all think player killing is a needed risk of an open MMO sandbox game. It's added content that you can't add, code or create yourself, and is ultimately unique in every scenario. However what has been happening is that the amount of player killers have increased over 50% in the last 6 months. In exchange with that. the amount of "Quitting" Threads, PM's, and Pages that we have had in the last month alone has been at an ALL TIME HIGH.

What this all means is, although our previous system worked for us until now, as we've grown and as players have adapted, it is time to update and make things a bit more balanced in lieu of that. To make this completely clear, we are NOT AGAINST PLAYER KILLING AT ALL.... What we are against, is players quitting Ultima Online Forever...

With that said, here are our purposed changes in mind:

Murderer Changes

• Short terms are being added back in and will be what is used to determine punishments.
    • Short terms will take 4 hours to burn off. Long terms are 24 hours to burn off.
    • We will also be adding in perma red status for noto pkers.
    • Going red->blue 4 times will put you into a permanent red state.

If you have > 5 kills and > 0 short terms, your head can be turned into a bounty hunter NPC. If your head is turned in, you will have the [Wanted] tag next to your name. The next time you die, you will be presented with two options:

1) Account Wide Shame Status
    • If you select this status, your account will instantly become Shamed.
    • You will receive the [Shame] tag next to your name and you will no longer be able to initiate on blue characters.
    • You can only attack them if they initiate on you.
    • This status will last for Short Term counts * 1 hours up to a total of 8 hours.

Any other heads that were turned in at the bounty hunter NPC prior to you accepting a punishment for your account will be cleared. Also, any characters pending permanent statloss will have that cleared as well.

2) Permanent Statloss

• If you select this option, the next time you die, you will receive statloss equivalent to 0.1 * short terms on the character for a maximum of 10 skill points.
    • Selecting this option will clear all short terms for that character.
    • You will not receive the statloss immediately, it will be applied the next time you die.
    • If you die while statloss is pending and have 0 short term counts (you have worked them off prior to your next death), you will not receive any statloss.
    • Choosing statloss will put the [Infamous] tag next to your name to indicate to other players you are pending statloss.

Bounty Hunters

• Blue players without any murders can now join the bounty hunter NPC guild.
    • Joining this NPC guild will make you orange to all murderers.
    • Bounty hunters will also be able to track reds using a special scrying crystal that they can buy from the Bounty Hunter NPC (much like a disguise kit from the thief NPC).
    • The tracking works exactly the same as faction tracking. You click the crystal, and it will give you the direction of a red with the most short term kills in your vicinity.
    A perk of being a bounty hunter is that you can add an order of magnitude to a red's punishment when you kill them and turn in their head. The bounty hunter must get the killing blow on a red for their corpse to be marked as being killed by a bounty hunter.

The following is the impact of a bounty hunter on a red's punishment:

1) Account Wide Shame - 4 hours per count up to a maximum of 24 hours of shame status.
    2) Permanent Statloss - 0.2 * short terms on the character for a maximum of 20 skill points

We plan on rolling out the bounty hunter change in two phases:
    1) The first is as described as above
    2) The second phase will consist of a leveling system for bounty hunter players. You will be able to level up to increase punishments, gain titles and gain access to special items.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS:
    With these changes, or even keeping our current system in place, some people have already noted that Player Killing really makes you pick your paths over all with your character creation choices. I would agree with this, however i would like to note that in the last couple days i've randomly looked at multiple RED characters logged into Ultima Online Forever. Every single one of these characters that i looked at (5+) were over the 3 account limit. In fact, the majority of these player killers had either logged in, shared, or owned 10+ accounts.

This is yet, just another thing that poses a problem with player killing punishments. Free to play is a constant battle dealing with multi accounts. However we will deal with these accordingly and i would like to give a fair warning to those who may be breaching the (3) account rule, that we will be cracking down on this.

SO WHAT ELSE HAS STAFF BEEN WORKING ON??

We will be rolling out the following updates within the next (1) month.

• YOUNG REGION CHANGES, QUEST ADDITIONS, AND TUTORIAL BASED HELP
    • HALLOWEEN DECORATING CONTEST
    • HUGE HALLOWEEN QUEST
    • MULTI WEEK SURPRISE QUEST
    • ULTIMA ONLINE FOREVER 2016 EXPANSION

WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY?
    If you are a player killer, REPLY below with a well thought out post based on not only your experience with free servers and this server but maturity and intellect. Keep in mind with your reply that most players think that their play style is THE ONLY play style in Ultima Online Forever. This includes YOU. There are many play styles in UO FOREVER and please try to keep in mind those play styles with your detailed reply.

ANY SINGLE POSTER WHO TRIES TO DERAIL THIS POST WILL BE BANNED FROM THESE FORUMS AND POSSIBLY ACCOUNTS IN GAME. THIS IS A SERIOUS MATTER, THAT NEEDS SERIOUS MATURE DISCUSSION.
    This is your warning.

EDIT #1:
    Upon ANY CHANGES, we will be making ALL REDS, BLUE.

EDIT #2:
    There was an error in listing above we have fixed it. The error was how bounty hunters notoriety was viewed or seen and handled.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2015
    20 people like this.
  2. K A Z

K A Z Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2013
    I'll try it, some of it sounds pretty good actually. I don't think that the Bounty Hunter is neccessary, though, as that'll just lead to people pissing each other off big time.

further thoughts:

exclude tamers from being bounty hunters. Dying to a lvl 7 meta and facing acct shaming for 8 hours is one thing - dying to a lvl 7 meta and facing acct shaming for 24 hours or -20 skillloss....................unacceptable.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2015
    19 people like this.
  3. a magical man

a magical man Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2013
    I think now is the correct time to give everyone the chance to be a red or blue now that we actually know the real changes, hence another gump would be nice

4. Shane

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    Added as an edit to my original post,
    This is true, before we implement such changes, all REDS will be turned blue, or have the chance to become blue anyways...

5 people like this.
  5. NoXXeD

NoXXeD Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2013
    So when a red dies, hes out of the game or skill loss....blues can continue to kill pets with no consequence? This will be a great idea IFFFFFFFF we can burn counts while offline I don't think in this day and age we can all leave our chars logged in for 100 hours to burn stuff off. Also are you going to do a total murder count wipe of all chars? I feel blues have no risk anymore and Blue zergs with META ALL KILL machines are going to run even more wild. There needs to be a balance with this.

I think that if a red kills another red no stat loss should be applied at all, that prevents greifing.

I think something that would help would be to have pets slower and have to stop and cast just like players do. pets freeze and have casting timers like players, WHICH can be disturbed.

I want to type more but lets see what these topics fetch

Edit

Also with these proposed changes if a pk kills a pet it should take harsh skill loss and exp loss

7 people like this.
  6. severus

severus Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    If I had to choose a system id go with long term / short terms 10 hr / 2 hour, use the head system so if you die & your heads handed in & your short terms is > 4 = perma statloss (IF YOU RES)

This gives players the chance to leave character logged in as a ghost until < 4 shorts then res W/O statloss, else res in perma stat.

Personally id prefer this then having to pick option a/b. Saying this though a warning gump would have to show saying IF your about to res in perma stat..

With harsher murder penalties needs to come a debuff in all PETS vs a human, the walk speed of them all is rediculous, and the insta mare/pet fire breathe!? Make pets refuse to attack a red weither by all kill or all guard UNLESS he has attacked the tamer. That will stop the mage/tamer zergs vs pks

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2015
    4 people like this.
  7. Starnite

Starnite Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    When I played back on Chessapeake shard, I was a pk hunter. I actually like these ideas you are bringing out. I think this is a great idea and I will look at changing one of my toons to becoming a bounty hunter again.

Great Job Shane and team.

4 people like this.
  8. GriefedYaBish

GriefedYaBish Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I hope reds will be able to track bounty hunters as well. it would be unfair if bounty hunters can track but can't be tracked.

15 people like this.
  9. Alexdan

Alexdan Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Very nice, but need some for killing pets also, like get kill for pets kill like a player

2 people like this.
  10. Starnite

Starnite Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    that is not how it works in RL, the bounty hunter is tracking by clues the person leaves behind. So a red should not be allowed to track a bounty hunter.

11 people like this.
  11. khajja

khajja Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Khajja, Dakhath, Bakhtosh, Bhurak, Jabberwock, Sinistre, [Werkt]
    so bounty hunters can be attacked by anyone freely, but cannot flag on blues. until these rewards come in, i don't see the incentive to be a bounty hunter.

12. Shane

Dec 6, 2014
    Admin Post
    This was a TYPO,
    Please re read, there has been an edit applied.

13. Jibreel_kills

Jibreel_kills Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Your mother
    I personally think its not as bad as you made it seem, and feel a lot better that my family and friends will stay. Also how will Factions and the bounty play out? I will agree with one poster that some people cannot just leave there game on for so many hours, and maybe changed logged off time as half the in game time. Thanks Shane! If you could msg me on IRC I really got a question for you. Jibreel

14. De Medici

De Medici Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Cosimo de Medici
    So I understand right i can have 100 short terms and i only have to wait 8 hours until i can start again PKing lol. This is even less punishment then before.

2 people like this.
  15. Vore

Vore Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Vore
    Shane, you are the man. These PK changes are a well calculated move that I can tell you put a lot of thought into. Keep up the good work!

2 people like this.
  16. GriefedYaBish

GriefedYaBish Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    [​IMG]

12 people like this.
  17. De Medici

De Medici Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2015
    Cosimo de Medici
    Sry guys but its still no punishment at all. I am Pking myself but I still think its actually NO punishment 8 hours??? On Osi before trammel u got perma 25 points with one short term as red

18. Hydrolysis

Hydrolysis Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Hydrolysis
    There are only punishments for murderers, I believe punishments for bounty hunters should be added as well. Otherwise it will be pretty unbalanced.

Knowing kills were reseted, this will likely reduce dramatically the numbers of PKS if any still exists after the bounty hunter implementation.

Also I do not understand part of it, it is like breaking the dynamic of the game. If a PK dies and chooses statloss it will have to retire for a week to raise his skills again??

Also, statloss will be applied to skills which are above 100.0? like If I have a BARD PK (just for reference) and I have 120 provo, if I choose statloss with max shorterms and it will be reduced to 110 provo?

19. Vore

Vore Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Vore
    I agree to an extent, but taking smaller steps is better than just BAM! devastating changes.

2 people like this.
  20. Malkraven

Malkraven Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2013
    its acct wide 8 hrs so that means if blues can stat your 3 reds that is you done u cant pk/raid champs which is one of the problems atm people have 15 reds. so basicly u have 3 life per night then u relegated to healing guildies ect and fighting oranges.

i must admit it doesnt sound to bad.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.