1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Newsletter System & Player Taxation Talk..

Discussion in 'News Archive' started by Shane, Aug 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mango

Mango Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Mango
    powerscroll can give you upto +20 to your max skill pts (720)

2. kevin newland

kevin newland Well-Known Member

May 29, 2014
    Perfect. I was curious about this on this server. Ty

3. Sapperman

Sapperman Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2013
    For those who are comparing a UO "economy" to a real economy, please stop. UO has an infinite and uncontrollable flow of gold into the system. That's like the being able to grow money on trees, literally. So any comparisons to an actual government or economy are very silly. The staff has a valid goal in reducing inflation in the shard. I think the pursuit is noble but very sensitive. There are some very good suggestions here in this thread. The bottom line is gold has to be removed from the system or things will get very expensive at some point. Anyone logged onto an OSI server and seen the prices of goods there? Its outrageous and its due to a failure to remove gold from the system. So I fully support the staff in their plight here and I'm sure the final decision wont be popular with everyone but it will give new players a fighting chance when they join the shard.

3 people like this.
  4. kevin newland

May 29, 2014
    I agree 100% I just came from normal EA UO. If you didnt have atleast 50 mil in ur bank you were literally broke.

5. girana

girana Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2014

The biggste reason for these prices on OSI are Exploits , Duping ,Duping and more Duping

6. Charlie

Charlie Member

Apr 24, 2013
    @Shane or UOF Staff

Is this any real way to stop methods of evasion?

Locking down checks, storing gold on vendors, buying items that can be vendored back, storing on a beetle and logging off, etc...?

UO community is quite creative and the game has always been buggy in regards to exploits and mechanics.

7. kevin newland

May 29, 2014
    Just make it to where there is a donation box for each account. 5k must be placed in the box each week IF you have account activity on that account that week. If u didnt play all 3 accounts then u only pay on 2 accounts or just 1. Also make it able to take as much money as the person would like to donate. If this happens then that would be 5-15k per person playing (Maybe more for the more generous players). 5k wont hurt a noob and the donations of the box can go to the gold sink vendor. That way u wont get destroyed by this taxation weekly while still being able to make a good profit each week and in the long run get a very nice item in return.

8. Greed

Greed Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2014
    Ideas other games have used to decrease the supply of gold in an effort to decrease inflation:

1) Have a gold cap e.g. 3 million gold cap per character
    2) Have scaling gold sinks necessary for every character you make (item repair, mounts with varying speeds, etc)
    3) Item Decay (items gradually break down over time and therefore require you to spend gold to replace those items)
    4) Implement a crafting system that uses gold as the sole or one of primary currencies to craft
    5) Have stat loss only removable with gold (personal stat loss, pet stat loss)

Those are just some of the ones of the top of my head but I"m sure there are many more.

2 people like this.
  9. Sapperman

Sapperman Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2013
    Or perhaps the server has been around for like 17 years with a limitless inflow of gold and no way to remove it from the system. Duping, farming, selling items to NPC's doesn't matter.... its adding gold to the system without a proper way to remove it. BTW that's a fairly textbook definition of inflation.

10. Vahk

Vahk Member

Aug 20, 2014
    Dartan Vahk
    Tomias Vahk
    Marjorian Vahk
    I said regs. I didn't say all NPC vendor items. This is called a straw man argument. You're arguing against something that I didn't say. You sound like Obama.

I do think jacking up all vendor prices is a good idea though, and I am a new player, so I suppose I either proved you wrong, or I'm an exception. If you increase all NPC vendor items, you give people the opportunity to make money in professions other than dungeon running. It's great for new players with an entrepreneurship mentality such as myself.

Does this forum allow polls? Maybe take a poll of players thoughts on being taxed on their income vs. increased NPC vendor prices?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2014
  11. JohnnyBOIL

JohnnyBOIL New Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Seriously?

EA UO servers have been running for, I don't know, 20 YEARS?

During which there were multiple exploits to dupe gold, where players duped BILLIONS of gold that was never fully removed?

A real straw man argument.

12. Don Key

Don Key Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Make wandering healers charge you 10k per res.

Bankers charge you to check your balance when you try to show off your millions..

Khaldun Gatekeeper charges you 1k to open the gate.

Champ spawns can't start up without paying an NPC gold to start it.

Costs gold to enter the special crafting areas.

3x vendor pricing like on Siege Perilous (unfortunately it's probably too late for that to make a difference)

Make guild, hero/evil, and factions require an upkeep cost in gold

Link forums to game accounts so that every reported post costs 10k

13. Magpie

Magpie Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2013
    I really like this idea. You should be able to smelt gold pieces down into golden ingots. It would take a ton of gold just to get one ingot but with it you could craft special golden armor and golden weapons. These items would decay/break over time though. You'd have to strike some balance between cost/longevity of the item of course.

I think a house tax would be appropriate too. I mean, there's obviously some home association that keeps our lawns mowed, our roofs clean, and even the inside of our house clean. We should pay them. ;)

If you don't pay, then we should introduce mechanics in the game where a house decays, gets dirty, needs repairs. You have to hire a crafter, or use your own crafter, to repair parts of the house.

Easier said than done to introduce something that complicated, eh?

14. kevin newland

May 29, 2014
    yes I understand they have been around for far longer. But with the increase of population moneys going to multiply quickly. And regardless of money duping in those other servers, I dont want a taming scroll to be 300k a pop when u get 1.3ish thousand gold from a large monster. Seems pointless not to nip this in the butt before it gets out of hand. And even tho EA UO has large amounts of gold, you have always been able to buy gold online for money much like we do on here for dono coins. Atleast they fixxed that so far.

15. halygon

halygon Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Halygon
    This is beginning to make me feel like I am watching CNN...

3 people like this.
  16. VFingerDiscount

VFingerDiscount Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Nip in the bud*, come on people...

Sent from Baja 1997 - ICQ 12013388

17. Shane

Shane Guest

There is a ton of good ideas in here for sure everyone.

For now we will lock this and i thank everyone for taking part in this and sharing what they think.

From what i'm seeing the initial reaction to "taxation" is OH HELL NOO, but after people read through this thread they come around rather quickly.

A ton of good idea's for gold sinks as well. We are a bit off from HAVING to implement something like a taxation system, but it's good to have this as an open discussion to get the general thought on the subject.

We will lock this for now, again thank you!

Shane

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.